Running & Lifting

gbbhey
gbbhey Posts: 188
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I need advice. I've lost about 25 pounds already but I still want to slim down to about 170 (20 more lbs) to go. I've been running and lifting (a little bit) but want to know when would be a good time to incorporate more lifting into my workout. I am 5'10'' and want to be solid, not a skinny boy but not a dough boy either. HELP!!!

Replies

• esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Any time! Just be watchful of your food intake so that you are not bulking up much and gaining muscle weight. The BIGGEST LOSER, and other shows like these are great examples because they work the participants, and they are losing weight.
  • Just go for it. If you want to stay lean focus more on lower/moderate weight and more reps/sets. Mix up your cardio and throw in some plyometrics. Plyos shock the heck out of your system and you will start to get lean and ripped all at the same time. Also, yes watch your food intake...don't up your protein too much and keep those carbs comin in, they will keep you energized! Good luck! Mix it up, keeps you entertained and your muscles guessing.
  • Start lifting! Muscle burns fat and will give you a leaner look. Don't be afraid to do high weight/low rep either. Also, make sure you're getting plenty of protein since protein is what fuels muscle. I suggest you check out the book The New Rule of Lifting. I'm currently in the program geared towards women and so far I'm really liking it.
  • Are you a member of a gym? At most gyms you can get a consultation and tell them what YOU are looking for and trying to do and they can give you some tips and basic guidelines for free. Depends on the gym, but the ones that are around here, you can walk up to a trainer and get some opinions. Give it a shot. Best of luck!
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Start immediately. I lost about 25 lbs earlier this year, was lifting initially then halfway stopped lifting and just did cardio and diet. I lost another 10 lbs but it was allot of muscle loss. I was at my goal weight, but nowhere near the right body composition, my body fat basically held on for much of the last 10 lbs and I lost muscle instead. I turned "skinny fat", it was not cool. Then I figured I'd eat to put on the muscle again but more fat came with it as muscle takes longer to add than fat does.

At this point I have built up my muscle mass back to where it was I believe, but it came at a cost, I've regained a good 10 lbs of fat that I'm gonna have to work off again. This time I will work it off while still lifting to ensure that the muscle stays on.
This discussion has been closed.