Scholarly article on binge eating

Options
ukaryote
ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2714381/

The Journal of Nutrition
Title: Sugar and Fat Bingeing Have Notable Differences in Addictive-like Behavior
March 2009

Reading through it, overeating sugar and fat release excess dopamine, which is a feel-good chemical in your brain. The article often uses the words "suggests" and "evidence of", it does not make definite statements that food addiction exists.

The authors ask the question "Why do people not binge on broccoli? There must be some property of palatable “dessert” and “snack” foods rich in sugar and/or fat that promotes binge eating. "

It is some comfort to me to know that my binge eating isn't just because I want cookies and chips - they really do make me feel better because of the dopamine, encouraging me to have more and more.

It ain't just eating habits - I have to address the stressors in my life with support somehow - friends, family, therapy, prescriptions, something. That's probably why the encouragement from friends on MFP have such a good effect, for me at least.

Replies

• ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have found when I eat healthy foods and not as much sugar, I do not crave it as much. When I eat sugar, I want more of it. The more you can wean yourself away from the sugary foods out there, the better off you will be. Start simple, make your own cookies that have less sugar than the store bought ones. Every step, no matter how small will help you break that cycle!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Of all the things I've cut out of my diet at one time or another, sugar is the only one that gave me major withdrawals. Worse than kicking caffeine.