Is this a regular occurrence when strength training?

Options
So after a pretty bad slump, about a month ago I started a strength training regime my partner made for me, and stuck to 1400-1600 calories as my goal (didn't want to make it too hard in case I give up again).

In the first week I lost 2.5(5ish pounds) kgs, but since then I went up 0.5kg(1ish pounds) and even though I have noticed a huge change in my bum and legs and stomach, and everyone has been commenting on how I look slimmer and my face looks slimmer especially, I have plateaued at 74.4 and my measurements haven't really changed much either, maybe a cm or two in each place.

I am 5'7 and weigh 74.4kg and female.

I guess I want to know if I need to fix something or if it's normal.

Also I don't really think I can be putting on muscle that is exactly the same as how much fat I lose, I just think I'm probably not doing as well as I thought.

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I thought it was farting .... yes very common.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Well, aside from minor noob gains for starting strength training, you won't gain muscle in a deficit. Especially as woman, we're already at a disadvantage lacking testosterone.

You're likely experiencing water retention for muscle repair from weightlifting. It's normal. Give it a week or two and stay consistent with your calories and lifting regimen. :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    So you lost 4 pounds in a month? I would call that a win . and keep going with what your doing for a bit longer.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Well, aside from minor noob gains for starting strength training, you won't gain muscle in a deficit. Especially as woman, we're already at a disadvantage lacking testosterone.

You're likely experiencing water retention for muscle repair from weightlifting. It's normal. Give it a week or two and stay consistent with your calories and lifting regimen. :)

"Noob gains" aren't always that minor. A lot depends on you own genetics. Some people can put on appreciable muscle. Others won't really put on any. While it's been slow I have definitely seen some okay mass gains over my 7 months of dieting. Nothing dramatic to be sure. But more than I would just dismiss as pointless.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

"Noob gains" aren't always that minor. A lot depends on you own genetics. Some people can put on appreciable muscle. Others won't really put on any. While it's been slow I have definitely seen some okay mass gains over my 7 months of dieting. Nothing dramatic to be sure. But more than I would just dismiss as pointless.

I do believe those with more to lose can have more benefit from it. I would question how much and whether or not it's just losing the fat in those areas revealing muscle. I always felt like it looked like I gained mass when it was a combo of water retention and revealed muscle underneath.

Point is, it's not going to stall the scale in a deficit. In a calorie surplus with proper protein and good lifting routine a woman would be lucky to gain 12 lbs of muscle over a whole year.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    There is a possibility that your measurements can increase a little when starting strength (even in deficit) but it's unlikely to be A: very much and B: last very long (if you are in a deficit)

So if the measurements continue to increase then I'd recommend dropping some cals or upping some activity to ensure you are in a deficit.
  • lindam4
    lindam4 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have had the same stalling problem. Initial loss was 11 pounds and now it has taken two months of daily workouts and Macros counting to lose anything additional. But what keeps me going is tracking my measurements and losing 8 inches around the mid section, You can track your measurements on MFP!

This very loss is the science behind this statement: You can put on muscle and lose fat at the same time. That's why the scale does not move but the measurements go down. If you go to IIFYM for Women on FB you will see dozens of women post two pictures weighing the same but one looks fat and one looks like bikini competition. I like this group because if you are a woman, you need women's advice because weight loss for women is completely different than for men because of speed, water retention and hormones.

Now two weeks in a row my measurements did not go down and that was a signal to have my Macros re-evaluated by the Admn in that same group. She actually upped my fats and carbs (and calories) and I got off another 3 pounds in a month.( I had to reverse diet for a few weeks.) Every 10 pounds you should re-calculate your Macros. Message me if you have questions. Hope this helps.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I do believe those with more to lose can have more benefit from it. I would question how much and whether or not it's just losing the fat in those areas revealing muscle. I always felt like it looked like I gained mass when it was a combo of water retention and revealed muscle underneath.

Point is, it's not going to stall the scale in a deficit. In a calorie surplus with proper protein and good lifting routine a woman would be lucky to gain 12 lbs of muscle over a whole year.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

This...in a year of lifting I do not feel I have put on any mass at all while in my deficit...I may have since May but I am eating almost at maitenance but if I did it's in the ounces. Most of what people see as gains really are what Phoenix mentioned..water, the swell from lifting and the fat loss revealing what was there anyway.

I have found that most of the time after the initial water gain is felt after starting strength training if you are not losing and/or not losing what you "think" you should you need to look at your logging.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Well I was in the same boat. I didn't believe I could put on muscle. But my own body kinda proved me wrong. I do agree that perhaps the fact that I have a lot of fat had something to do with it. Since my fat metabolism can cover a rather large deficit I am sure protein synthesis was less inhibited than in a leaner person.

It's not as if I got huge or anything but there are parts of me where the improvement just can't be not noticed if you see what i mean.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    If you're weight lifting I would suggest staying away from the scale. The scale will not b an accurate measure of your progress. Lusten to those people who have noticed.