Fitness Pros needed!

Options
I would like to add a hand weight routine. I use kettle bells about 3 times a week and would like to add the hand weights when I walk.

I generally walk about 3 miles about 5 times a week. Any recommendations as to what size weights to start with? I'm thinking maybe 5 lbs (total 10)?

I don't want to over stress muscles but hoping to burn more cals with the added weight. I also need to firm some old lady "batwings".

I don't have hand weights so I'll be purchasing them - recommendations are welcome here too, but NOT neoprene (very allergic).

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!!!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Fitness pros usually don't recommend walking with hand weights. It can cause injuries, and the extra calories burned is tiny. And it won't do much to firm your arms. You'll get much better results following a full-body strength training program. A good one for your age bracket is New Rules of Lifting for Life (it's a book).

For weights, i'd get a pair of adjustable dumbbells that go up to at least 15 pounds each, and preferably 20. You can find them at Walmart and sporting goods stores.

By the way, if you want to burn more from walking, you can wear a loaded backpack. Or walk faster, longer, or more frequently.