WHAT TRIGGERS YOUR BINGES?

Options
beep
beep Posts: 1,242 Member
If we can see them coming, or know specifically what those triggers are, perhaps we can avoid them. Or is this wishful thinking.

So far, the only binges I have had since April 16th are seeing CAKE and EATING it. If I'm not around cake, I seem to do fine.

Oh yeah, potato chips..... If I start, I can't stop..... guess I should stop buying Lays:laugh: :laugh:

Replies

• beep
    Options
    If we can see them coming, or know specifically what those triggers are, perhaps we can avoid them. Or is this wishful thinking.

So far, the only binges I have had since April 16th are seeing CAKE and EATING it. If I'm not around cake, I seem to do fine.

Oh yeah, potato chips..... If I start, I can't stop..... guess I should stop buying Lays:laugh: :laugh:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    stress or keeping things in that are bothering me will sometimes bring it on....its funny when I'm super happy and content...food is just for nurishment! lol...wierd huh...OH unless its ya what time:ohwell: and I need me some pizza and chocolate:bigsmile: ....lol....

hugs!
    Ali
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    STRESS FROM FAMILY AND WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turning over a new leaf is hard, but hey day 3.....

no stress and eating right!!!!
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My Birthday is 16 April!

Good job having Cake for me!

I had one of those Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream Cakes! I cringed as I saw the calories!

Binges - hmmmmmmmmmm... gosh... I usually end up having the binge about a day after working out or exercising really hard (say a 7 to 10 hour VB tournament). I survive the days and then just ATTACK the cupboards!
  • beep
    Options
    My Birthday is 16 April!

Good job having Cake for me!

I had one of those Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream Cakes! I cringed as I saw the calories!

Binges - hmmmmmmmmmm... gosh... I usually end up having the binge about a day after working out or exercising really hard (say a 7 to 10 hour VB tournament). I survive the days and then just ATTACK the cupboards!

Oh, April, don't get me started:laugh: and cakes, which I can't defend myself against... my dad's, my daughter's and my husband's birthdays are all in April. It was CAKE month.

Sounds like on those heavy work out days, you NEED lots more calories so it won't sneak up on you like that.

BTW, thank you for your service to our country. It is appreciated! from a Navy wife.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the fridge after work outs, until I started having a snack prior - usually a yogurt and fruit.

I usually want a dessert after going out to dinner. I have a chart on the refrigerator that allows for one dessert a week. With that staring at me, I usually control myself.
  • BikeChick
    BikeChick Posts: 121
    Options
    Stress and anger, of course. Depression.
    The strangest thing for me, though - I binge a lot when I am happy or excited. If I am having a really good day, I want to celebrate or reward myself with food. I find comfort in it no matter what kind of mood I am in... so it's REALLY hard to stop.
    I've been doing really great lately - I'm surprised with every day that goes by and I don't binge. I find myself getting my heart rate up (my favorite thing to do is crank up the ipod and dance like a freak with my shades drawn) and being active after having a heavy meal.
    The other day my dad invited me over for a spaghetti dinner with meatballs. I make KILLER garlic bread. I knew I would be going, so I had a Turkey Tom Unwich for lunch. (For those of you unfamiliar with Jimmy John's World's Best Subs, the Unwich is everything a sandwhich is, but wrapped in lettuce instead of bread. Salad to go!)
    So after this carb-loaded feast, I found myself out on my bike. I didn't even sit to let it "settle". To me that feels like I'm allowing my body time to grab all of the fat from the meal and stuff it in places that really don't need anymore bulging. :ohwell:
    Ha! Anyway - I got off topic, but I think it's strange that just about anything - even happiness - can trigger a binge. It's so psychological, isn't it?
  • BikeChick
    BikeChick Posts: 121
    Options
    Bump. :bigsmile:
    I'm curious to see if anyone else will post their bingeing triggers or experiences.
  • beep
    Options
    Stress and anger, of course. Depression.
    The strangest thing for me, though - I binge a lot when I am happy or excited. If I am having a really good day, I want to celebrate or reward myself with food. I find comfort in it no matter what kind of mood I am in... so it's REALLY hard to stop.
    I've been doing really great lately - I'm surprised with every day that goes by and I don't binge. I find myself getting my heart rate up (my favorite thing to do is crank up the ipod and dance like a freak with my shades drawn) and being active after having a heavy meal.
    The other day my dad invited me over for a spaghetti dinner with meatballs. I make KILLER garlic bread. I knew I would be going, so I had a Turkey Tom Unwich for lunch. (For those of you unfamiliar with Jimmy John's World's Best Subs, the Unwich is everything a sandwhich is, but wrapped in lettuce instead of bread. Salad to go!)
    So after this carb-loaded feast, I found myself out on my bike. I didn't even sit to let it "settle". To me that feels like I'm allowing my body time to grab all of the fat from the meal and stuff it in places that really don't need anymore bulging. :ohwell:
    Ha! Anyway - I got off topic, but I think it's strange that just about anything - even happiness - can trigger a binge. It's so psychological, isn't it?

You are not off topic!!! :laugh: I guess it's true, maybe even happiness, because at that point you think you can conquer anything, (even a cake?)
  • beep
    Options
    I used to eat the fridge after work outs, until I started having a snack prior - usually a yogurt and fruit.

I usually want a dessert after going out to dinner. I have a chart on the refrigerator that allows for one dessert a week. With that staring at me, I usually control myself.

I've actually been enjoying a half cup serving of jell-o sugar free instant fat free chocolate pudding, and adding the fat back on it with that wonderful extra creamy squirt out of the can whipping cream. I really feel like I'm cheating, but it's not so bad calorie wise. I either have that, or sugar-free jello with whipped cream at least once a day.
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Emotions - any and all
    Stress
    Boredom
    Being alone with food!!!!!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    PMS cravings. I get all pissy and I stop caring about how I look and just want something, like a chocolate bar, to make me feel better. My fiance prefers it when I cave in and have one, otherwise, WATCH OUT! lol :laugh:
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    PMS cravings. I get all pissy and I stop caring about how I look and just want something, like a chocolate bar, to make me feel better. My fiance prefers it when I cave in and have one, otherwise, WATCH OUT! lol :laugh:

Amen sista!!!! Only why do I feel like I have PMS 2 out of the 4 weeks of the month??!!:grumble:
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have PMS (especially the cravings) and I'm past MENOPAUSE!!!!!! Go figure
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    Cooking for the teenagers!! Pasta, rice, potatoes (major nonos on low carb lifestyle)

A call from the principal to come see him (I would say the boss but that is the same:tongue: )

A student named..., or..., or..., or a parent named...:frown: (This is why the candy drawer is ffffaaaarrrr away from my desk:blushing: )

A teenager who lives with me who thinks that he knows everything:explode: , how to drive fast:explode: , and doesn't need to help around the house :explode: because he has more important things to do...you know play computer games and watch the Braves:explode:
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Oh, April, don't get me started:laugh: and cakes, which I can't defend myself against... my dad's, my daughter's and my husband's birthdays are all in April. It was CAKE month.

Sounds like on those heavy work out days, you NEED lots more calories so it won't sneak up on you like that.

BTW, thank you for your service to our country. It is appreciated! from a Navy wife.

Much appreciation back to you! You have the tougher job!

Its hard to do a 4 to 5 hours - 2 to 4 hours of sitting beach VB tournament and east the calories you would use from doing low cardio all day. I love it though!

I dont think breaking rules (binging) every once in awhile is too bad either. As long as you keep it to once or twice a month. There has to be a point in which your body just CANNOT use all those calories at once. I would like to see a study done on that!
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    PMS and insomnia. Luckily PMS is a 24 bad craving, insomnia is 3 nights out of 7 at least. I haven't broken down and eaten the house or the dogs yet, so I guess that is a good thing,.
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    Hanging out with friends is a trigger for me, mainly because everyone around me is stuffing their face with yummy food and beer. Its hard to resist. Also, I really need to prepare my meals each day. If I don't make my own food, I almost always go over my calories. Yesturday I had to go to a breakfast meeting (and ate 200 cal over what I usually eat in the morning) and didn't have time to pack a lunch, so I went out for lunch (300 over what I usually eat, plus I didn't go to the gym on my lunch break). When I got home, I sort of felt like it was a lost cause (I had 100 caleries left for the day!) so I joined my hubby for a cold beer. He made dinner (grilled steak, potatoe, corn) and by the end of the day I was 800 over on my calories. Sheesh.

I guess that means I binge when I don't stick to my routine. :huh:
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have to have food to relax, the same way a smoker needs a cig. The hardest for me is right after I put my kids to bed and my husband isn't home. Food is like the signal that I can finally start my ME time. It doesn't even have to be special or anything. I think the fact that I get to eat it and no one else does is the treat for me. :blushing: Ridiculous huh? I have it pretty much under control now but sometimes the temptations are too much.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I'm with bike chick , if I would let myself, I would be eating all the time and all the wrong things. But since I started here, I only went over once and started right back on track the next day. ( I also had quite a few calories stored for dinner but went over anyway):grumble: cake and fried fish and homemade cole slaw and mac and cheese:grumble: retirement party for my healthy eating:sad: but oh well today is a good day, the sun is shining and the birds are singing.....