dealing with opposition to weight loss?

Options
For instance family or friends opposing your weight loss because they think its unhealthy? I understand there's unhealthy and healthy ways to lose weight and people do it because their current weight is unhealthy but many people don't need to lose weight and I when I say need I mean that their weight or bf % doesn't necessarily compromise their physical health.

I am one of those people who lost weight to improve my self esteem & look and feel better, not because I 'needed' to lose weight for my physical health but more as a way to encourage positive feelings and behavior. I feel better, look better and am in the best physical shape of my life but all my family sees is the slimmer toned me that they're not used to and automatically call it unhealthy my family doesn't seem to understand that weight loss has so many other benefits to your health besides just not being fat, any experience/advice on dealing with this sort of adversity?

Replies

• steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For some unknown reason, many people treat this that are eating to lose some weight as being criminal, for goodness sake, its about health and if they cannot understand that, it's their problem and not yours. People are entitled to their opinions I guess however you don't have to agree with it. Keep doing whats good for you.
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    I think most people's issues revolve totally around themselves. I have tried for years to get people to understand why I need to do things with no success. Doing it for you is reason enough. You'll be glad you kept your weight down later on. :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, this is an inside job. It has to be about you and for you. Piss on what everyone else thinks!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, this is an inside job. It has to be about you and for you. Piss on what everyone else thinks!

This needs to be repeated. This is what YOU want, what YOU chose to do, and what YOU are going to succeed at. You are the only one that can hold YOU back. Strive to win!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Oh My!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This. Let them keep their "stuff". Don't defend your position. I have found that sometimes the best response is either (1) no response at all or a simple (2) I understand.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    For me it's been a bit over two years since I reached goal weight and have kept it off. It's been awhile since anyone has asked or made comments about my weight loss - I think they are finally used to seeing me this way! :smile:

But when people did ask if I was still losing or trying to lose weight, I just answered with a truthful, "Nope, just working on lowering my body fat percentage a bit more", and that generally shut them up. Or use the word fitness in place of BF% - they generally don't know how to respond to either one and the conversation ends. :bigsmile: