Subway

When I add a Subway turkey breast sub to my daily food log does that food item out of the database already account for all the veggies that go on the sub.....or do i need to add every veggie to my food log seperately.........PLEASE help.......Thanks......april

Replies

• BUTTERFLI715
    BUTTERFLI715 Posts: 29 Member
    When I add a Subway turkey breast sub to my daily food log does that food item out of the database already account for all the veggies that go on the sub.....or do i need to add every veggie to my food log seperately.........PLEASE help.......Thanks......april
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    you need to count every fooed seperately
  • amy_ryan
    amy_ryan Posts: 28 Member
    It probably does not count them, since everyone adds different veggies. While the extra veggies on a Subway sandwich help make it healthier and more filling, I am not sure there's enough of them to make them that important to add to your log for calorie counting (minimal) or nutrional information (probably also fairly minimal unless your Subway is a lot more generous with veggies than most. They also use iceberg lettuce, right, which is mostly water?) Unless you have added olives or another ingredient with more substantial calories, I would not worry about it. But if you are concerned, check the Subway website for more precise nutritional info.
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Values include wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, pickles and olives. That's right from the Subway website.

10479.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • BUTTERFLI715
    THANKS......again did i mention I am really behind in times when it comes to this stuff.........
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Just remember that it doesnt include the cheese or the sauces! That is where the calories add up anyways. The veggies really would be minimal (vice Olives).
  • BikeChick
    BikeChick Posts: 121
    Also take into account the fact that Subway often does not use fresh vegetables. A lot of the time they have been frozen and then thawed. That will strip a lot of the nutrients from that stuff. I think it also depends on the type of bread you use. There are a lot of complex carbs in bread!

http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/index.aspx

Check that site out, and it should take care of most of your questions!
  • BUTTERFLI715
    I get the veggie wrap.....and that is alot better if i am not mistaken......i know that value of the veggies is not great but I am at work all day today from 7-5 and I am not allowed to take a lunch so that is the best thing around here I can have someone pick up.....I forgot to pack my lunch.......Any suggestions please let me know..........
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Also take into account the fact that Subway often does not use fresh vegetables. A lot of the time they have been frozen and then thawed. That will strip a lot of the nutrients from that stuff. I think it also depends on the type of bread you use. There are a lot of complex carbs in bread!

http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/index.aspx

Check that site out, and it should take care of most of your questions!

Freezing vegetables DOES NOT strip nutrients from them. Thats silly, frozen veggies are AS nutritious as fresh ones. And most of subways ingredients are fresh.
  • BikeChick
    BikeChick Posts: 121
    Well, my mistake. I guess with Subway I just always thought their vegetables look withered and used.

http://www.healthcastle.com/veggies_fresh_frozen.shtml
  • BUTTERFLI715
    I read the site and it appears it doesnt really matter either way as long as it is a fruit or vegetable you get all the nutrition......correct me if Im wrong..........
  • amy_ryan
    amy_ryan Posts: 28 Member
    Frozen veggies and fruit are actually in many cases more nutritous, because they are picked and frozen at their peak. Of course, fresh almost always taste better, but it's good to know anyway in case you can't get the fresh (or don't want to pay the prices...have you been to the store lately? Yikes!).
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Just remember that it doesnt include the cheese or the sauces! That is where the calories add up anyways. The veggies really would be minimal (vice Olives).

That's right, I learned that the hard way. Someone also mentioned they count wheat bread. So if you have a 12" honey oat sandwich, you need to tack on 100 more calories to your grand total.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Yep! But a lot of the subway subs taste awesome without the cheese or sauce... and if I miss a morning snack or something I normally will have them toss on two slices of provolone. Their cheese is really low fat/low cal compared to most luncheon cheeses. I don't know about the sauces though... normally if I add anything its some franks red hot on my own :)
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    I get the veggie wrap.....and that is alot better if i am not mistaken......i know that value of the veggies is not great but I am at work all day today from 7-5 and I am not allowed to take a lunch so that is the best thing around here I can have someone pick up.....I forgot to pack my lunch.......Any suggestions please let me know..........

Actually, the wraps have about 100 more calories than the wheat bread sub. Look at the subway site. Sorry for the bad news.:cry:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member

Actually, the wraps have about 100 more calories than the wheat bread sub. Look at the subway site. Sorry for the bad news.:cry:

Yep, wraps are almost always higher in fat than their bread counterparts :( Thats why I make my own tortillas now.
  • I get the veggie wrap.....and that is alot better if i am not mistaken......i know that value of the veggies is not great but I am at work all day today from 7-5 and I am not allowed to take a lunch so that is the best thing around here I can have someone pick up.....I forgot to pack my lunch.......Any suggestions please let me know..........

Yep, wraps are almost always higher in fat than their bread counterparts :( Thats why I make my own tortillas now.

Speaking of wraps, has anyone tried the low carb burrito tortillas from mission. I do one of those in the morning with 1/2 cup of egg beaters and one slice of skim milk mozzarella cheese. Breakfast burrito that is YUM and is only 320 calories with 21 grams of fiber. Wonderful!!! Can cook the eggs in a bowl in the microwave for 1 minute and not even dirty a pan.