Best at home workout series/challenges

Options
Hi, it's been a long time since I've been on here and a lot has changed in the fitness world since. There are all these new at home workout dvds and challenges, but which are the best? Does anyone have one they have done and showed results? Please let m know what you all think are the best. I'm male 29 years old if it matters.

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

This

I would also ask what equipment do you have available to use?
  • Victorianna88
    Options
    I'm also on the lookout for some home workouts - 25, female and have a yoga mat and hand weights at home :) Looking to lose about 50 lbs. I have lost just over 10lbs but that's without exercise, so I want to get moving!

Vicky
  • raulozzi
    Options
    My goal right now is just to lose weight. At home I have no equipment available which is where I will be doing most anything suggested. I also go to the gym which is a full gym with free weights, machines, etc.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    If the goal is purely fat loss, then one answer will be:

a) moderate calorie deficit
    b) adequate protein
    c) progressive resistance routine

if equipment is minimal (or nonexistent) then something like YAYOG (book or smartphone app) or Convict Conditioning (book) would be good places for a beginner to look.

If you have other goals such as improved cardiovascular, better flexibility, etc. Then the answer is more nuanced and you will need to incorporate other stuff and make a well-rounded routine.

Personally, for a beginner with minimal equipment you could do YAYOG or CC and on the off days do some yoga for flexibility and recovery (use a free site like doyogawithme) and do some quality hill walking or trail walking (whatever you have available to you). Do that for a couple of months, stay tight with the diet (log accurately and regularly) and see how things go.

Not super-sexy stuff, I know. But you'll lay down habits that will have a great effect over the months. Just get started and enjoy mastering your own physicality. The aesthetic benefits will flow from that, I promise.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    My goal right now is just to lose weight. At home I have no equipment available which is where I will be doing most anything suggested. I also go to the gym which is a full gym with free weights, machines, etc.

Missed this one.

What are you doing at the gym? Why do you think you need to do extra stuff outside of the gym, at home?

If it's purely weight loss, 3-4 good quality gym workouts plus good dietary control will lead to results and good body-comp if you are patient and stick with it.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender on YouTube has a ton of very challenging bodyweight training vids. If you can spend 120 bucks on vids, get Shaun T 'Insanity'...no equip required and it will KICK YOUR *kitten*. I lost 55 lbs in 4 months when I did his vids and my abs were never more defined, and my shoulders ROCKED!

HOWEVER, none of it will work if you don't have your daily calories 'mathed' down.

And don't forget Sleep...everyone does, but it's a huge part of weight loss and muscle repair.
  • raulozzi
    Options

Missed this one.

What are you doing at the gym? Why do you think you need to do extra stuff outside of the gym, at home?

If it's purely weight loss, 3-4 good quality gym workouts plus good dietary control will lead to results and good body-comp if you are patient and stick with it.

Well the only time I go to the gym is with my brother in law (we work out at the sheriffs department and hes the cop lol0 But he doesnt always stick with it. Sometimes we will go everyday and sometimes it will be 2 weeks in between so I want to find something I can do on my own too
  • Chuck_Finley
    Options
    I don't know how good this is, but this one challenges me so far. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

26 year old male just looking to lose maybe 10-15 pounds mostly bellyfat.
  • Souchou
    Souchou Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make your own plan without a DVD- There is so much online- Create a 60 min class that has a 5 min warm up exercises (aerobic exercises like run on spot/ rope skipping/ high knee jumps/ jumping jacks... etc traditional- but choose sth you like

then depending on what you need to do/ squats, lunges, - you could do 5 reps (see some youtube videos to check for good technique)

Sit ups, bicycle crunches, burpees, planks are all great great exercises that we could do at home- all we need is a mat, a towel, water, some music and a watch to monitor our time

Push ups/ dips using a bench or a chair are good-

For a cool off- some yoga streches can be such a rewarding- just google some examples- have pictures if you wish to start with- After the 3rd time, it'll become a routine that your heart n body look forward to-

Hope this helps a bit-
  • jimmmer
    Options

Missed this one.

Well the only time I go to the gym is with my brother in law (we work out at the sheriffs department and hes the cop lol0 But he doesnt always stick with it. Sometimes we will go everyday and sometimes it will be 2 weeks in between so I want to find something I can do on my own too

I have identified your problem: consistency!

You really need to dial in the diet side of things though. That's where the weight loss come from.

The exercise bit is for other stuff (body-comp, cv fitness, flexibility, strength, power, speed, etc).

You would probably be best served by doing something 3-4 times a week and sticking with it religiously. If you're going to be doing it at home, then check out YAYOG or CC, nail your diet (small deficit, high protein) and *most importantly* make sure you stick with it on a regular basis.
  • MrsMRG
    MrsMRG Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try jessicasmithtv and RealFittv on YouTube. These ladies have lots of great full-length workouts with little or no equipment required.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the lookout for some home workouts - 25, female and have a yoga mat and hand weights at home :) Looking to lose about 50 lbs. I have lost just over 10lbs but that's without exercise, so I want to get moving!

Vicky

Jillian Michaels might be a good fit for you, since most of her DVDs use the equipment you have. If you're pretty new to exercise, try her Frontside/Backside DVDs. A little more intermediate, maybe the 30 day shred or Ripped in 30. Advanced, I'd suggest No More Trouble Zones or Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. She has a lot more, too, so check out Amazon if you're looking for variety :)
  • MACJL
    MACJL Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Of course it's all personal preference, but I love Chalene Johnson. I have Turbo Jam, which helped me lose 30lbs. Then I lost my mind and quit doing much of anything, idiot me, but now have come back to TJ and Chalean Extreme. It's a butt kicker, but it's a fat killer. I also like BeachBody for using the workout tracker, keeps me accountable. They have loads of different workouts, just depends on what you like. Most that I have done, give you without equipment options too.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender on YouTube has a ton of very challenging bodyweight training vids. If you can spend 120 bucks on vids, get Shaun T 'Insanity'...no equip required and it will KICK YOUR *kitten*. I lost 55 lbs in 4 months when I did his vids and my abs were never more defined, and my shoulders ROCKED!

HOWEVER, none of it will work if you don't have your daily calories 'mathed' down.

And don't forget Sleep...everyone does, but it's a huge part of weight loss and muscle repair.

You can probably get the program at a discount off of craigs list as well. It truly does work if you stick to it and eating properly.
  • red66stang
    Options
    My wife and I have done several different DVD's. We did the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and ripped in 30, each twice. They worked pretty well but it was boring doing the same exact routine for a week at a time. We borrowed power 90 from our neighbor and liked that better. It was better at muscle definition than losing weight. We are doing P90X3 right now and really like the variety -- overall it is our favorite.

My recommendation is go to your local library and see what they carry in their video section or ask friends if you can borrow their videos. Then you can see what style you like before buying a program.
  • buttfacedprincess
    buttfacedprincess Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the YouTube Blogilates Beginner Calendar this month. I'm two weeks in and I'm absolutely loving it. I can't imagine it is very effective for burning calories, but for toning and the like it is probably a pretty good program. It's short, sweet, and always has me working up a sweat. I just roll out my yoga mat in the morning and do the 20-30 minute workout 6 days a week. If the beginner's calendar is too easy, she also puts together a more advanced one every month; I'm really hoping to move on to that one next month. :)
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I started with Leslie Sansone videos (some purchased, most viewed on YouTube) and now I am on to FitnessBlender.com videos. I bought their .pdf for 4 week Fat Loss for Low Impact or Beginner - worth every penny to know exactly what workouts to do (no brainer!)