10,000 steps a day!I

htimpaired
htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently got a fitbit, and I have been finding that it is hard to get 10,000 steps a day unless it's a day I am exercising. I have an office job, and I guess I overestimated how much time I spend walking from office to office, front desk etc. I get about 5000 steps on non-gym days. Any suggestions on ways people are getting their activity in?

Replies

• nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    We did this challenge at my office and I have a desk job as well. It was difficult, but I ended up adding a lunchtime walk everyday and I tried getting up a just taking short mini breaks a few times a day to walk to the breakroom to grab some water, and I would park my car further away in the parking lot. I was able to get up in the 8000-9000 range before factoring in my gym workouts. Good luck!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    I have a fitbit also, But I have an outdoor job and get apprx 10k steps daily. Try the old standards. Park as far from the door as possible. Take the stairs or just walk during your break. I was short last Sunday so I just walked in place at home watching the football game.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    I'm the same way! I work in an office at a university, and we did a walking contest in October. The people who did well all worked for the grounds crew or delivered mail. Those of us that work in the offices struggled more. I think that trying to get a walk in on your lunch break helps, and I was also going for a walk after work. I never did get a full 10,000 while I was wearing the pedometer.
This discussion has been closed.