From an 8k to a 10-miler race? Doable or Stupid?

Mollydolly10
Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Do you think it would be possible/reasonable to go from an 8k race this past Sunday, December 5th, to a 10-miler race March 26th (that is 16 weeks in between the races)?

I've really been wanting to run this 10-miler because it is in my alma mater college town, and I don't really want to have to wait another whole YEAR, but the question is whether this is a good idea or not, whether there is enough time. I've been searching online to try to do a 10k in between and can't find any close enough to me (Northern Virginia).

You can see my 3 recent (and very close together) 5k and 8k race times in my signature - I was able to run the 8k the whole time at a comfortable still-able-to-talk pace, so that distance wasn't an issue, but a 10-miler is DOUBLE.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Go for it!! Especially if you can do the 8k with little difficulty! In 16 weeks you could do something like increase by 1/2 a mile a week and you'll be at 10 miles with 6 weeks to spare. Good luck :happy:
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    You can certainly do it...just look online for a training program and each week increase your mileage and you mileage on your long run. Good luck!
  • It's doable. Just don't over train. Look on the Internet for a good exercise program for the 10 miler.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Definitely doable! And if you find yourself not able to reach 10 miles.. that doesn't mean you still can't enter the race and absolutely have to run the entire time. You can do it! You are like a little running fiend now.
  • Definitely doable in 4 months. The only negative is that it is the coldest time of the year for training!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Molly-it's completely do-able. I went from training runs of 2-3 miles to a half marathon in 12 weeks. I started September 1st after not running most of the summer(i biked instead) and knocked out the half marathon last Sunday. You seem to work out a lot and be fairly fit, so it won't be a problem for you. Plus, you are half my age.:happy:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Very doable! I just did my first 10k run EVER on Oct 30th and am about to register for a 10 mile on Dec 26th - My times are only slightly faster than yours (8k in just sub-50, 10k in 64) and I have been able to increase my distance substantially by simply increasing my miles every week. My long runs get longer and longer every weekend by 0.5 miles or so. Keep it steady, listen to your body, and work hard. 16 weeks is more than enough training if you are putting in 15 or so miles every week. Find a training schedule and stick with it and you'll be able to run 10 miles before you know it!
    -Meag
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Oh yeah you could do it. There are tons of great programs out there to prepare for this sort of thing, and 16 weeks is plenty of time.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Definitely! My HM training plan is only 14 weeks! And it assumes the basest of mileage bases.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    totally do-able...i went from a 10k to a half marathon within a couple months...you are dedicated and should have no problems making the transition :) good luck!!!!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Thanks everyone!!

One last question, most of the training plans I found only have you running up to 8 miles on your long run. Just wanted to make sure for a longer race that it's okay not to have a full trial 10-mile run before the race
  • I had never run anything beyond a 5k. I ran a 5k February 6, 2010. I ran the Disney Princess Half-Marathon on March 7, 2010. I completed it all.

It's ALL about mental determination. If you set your mind to it, you can do it. I know you'll do great!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Thanks everyone!!

One last question, most of the training plans I found only have you running up to 8 miles on your long run. Just wanted to make sure for a longer race that it's okay not to have a full trial 10-mile run before the race

It's a matter of preference really. I prefer to run more than the race distance the training plan calls for. So for my 10K, my plan only had me going up to 5 miles. I finished the training plan a few weeks early and got up to 7.5 on my own. I like to know that I can run more than the race distance as it helps me a lot if I'm too "mental" on race day aka "I can't do this". For my 1/2 marathon, I plan to get up to 15/16 beforehand and 95% of all plans I've seen only have you go up to 10/11 miles.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    I think it depends on the plan - Novice plans for first timers typically only go up to 80% of the total distance on the longest run, I've noticed. Intermediate/Advanced/Peak Performance type plans usually have you running father than the total race distance in training. Since I am running to complete the 10 mile, and not break any records, I won't be running farther than 10 miles before my race (hardly any time to do so, since it's in < 3 weeks, anyway! But it's up to you since you've got 16 weeks or so to train!
This discussion has been closed.