What have you learned this year?

Options
BrattyLori
BrattyLori Posts: 101 Member
I went thru my first diary entries and I'm shocked at what a treat hound I was AND at how much stuff I was eating - even thinking I was DIETING! Wow! Good job me learning how to do this better!

Still working on this, and probably will be forever. No matter tho. The important thing is that I'm learning how to take care of myself with the same love and care that I take with my children. My big lesson for this year: Be patient and kind while being a good parent to yourself. <3

What have you learned this year?

Replies

• xxthursday09xx
    xxthursday09xx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My main learning experience is THERE ARE NO EXCUSES. I gave myself every excuse in the book....I'm tired...I had a rough day at work, no use starting because I wont finish and it won't do anything, i'm under a lot of stress, this time of year is hard.

NO! These aren't valid. At all...with all the home workout routines, there should be no reason to push play. And exercising will take away a lot of the stress and fatigue. And even if you do indulge in treats right now, that's ok! Just get in some exercise...and don't fret if you go over your calories...it's ok, you can get back at it tomorrow.

those are my main learnings :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    1) It's a lifestyle change, not a diet
    2) I have to eat to lose weight
    3) I don't have to deprive myself of anything, I just need to account for it
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I have learned i can finally win this battle
  • justahorsen
    Options
    I've learned that even with my thyroid problems I CAN do this....MFP has helped me get on track and I am close to 30 lbs lost. I still have a ways to go but I know that even at my age (60) I can do this.....
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Know the detials of what you're eating. I have been very surprised by some things I thought were "good/better" choices.
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My biggest lesson has been learning to eat when I'm hungry. Sounds simple, but I was so used to eating when I was not hungry it was a tough cycle to break.
    Also, how many calories are necessary to stop from being hungry...less than I thought....before MFP I used to regularly eat 2,500+ calories or more in a day.....
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I've learned about portions .... while I eat mainly the same foods I always have (minus the alcohol), I was stunned to see what a "real" portion is ...

that, and I learned that I can enjoy life's treats - just have to earn them =)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    That I drink WAAAAAY too much!
  • Shash27
    Shash27 Posts: 172
    Options
    That working out is ABSOLUTELY necessary for me to lose weight..and in making a habit of working out..I've learned that I need it not just for the physical benefits, but it's made me a calmer person :-)
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Nice topic!

Things I have learnt so far;

1 - A lifestyle change is the way to go - I am not on a diet - bad days aren't the be all and end all!
    2 - Thanks to this site I am now much more aware of what I eat; I still have treats - but I do stop and think about it first!
    3 - Perserverance with using MFP and exercise works!

:happy: