How much muscle can I gain lifting?

Options
Realistically, how much weight in muscle can a 22 yr old female gain in a specified period of time - say 1 month, or 6 months? I've heard conflicting theories

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Based on what I have read, with a proper lifting routine, consistent workouts, close attention to your food and macros a woman can gain about 1lb of muscle a month...optimal conditions. If they are lucky.

On average, considering most of us are average,...1/2lb maybe...3/4lb is pushing it for an average person tho IMO.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    So it' definitely possible for me to have gained a few lbs of muscle over a course of 8 months even in average conditions (very consistent lifting routines and progressively lifting heavier, I could pay closer attention to my macros tho)
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    So it' definitely possible for me to have gained a few lbs of muscle over a course of 8 months even in average conditions (very consistent lifting routines and progressively lifting heavier, I could pay closer attention to my macros tho)

There are so many different factors to consider so it's impossible to say from your question.

But within a few months yes it is possible you gained a few lbs of muscles lol
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

As long as you are eating at maitenance or above. You won't gain any appreciable muscle in a deficit.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

As long as you are eating at maitenance or above. You won't gain any appreciable muscle in a deficit.

I don't have any backing for this except my own experience but I doubt if it was that much if she was even eating at maintenance. I've been eating at maintenance, hitting protein macros, and lifting heavy consistently for 18 months and I think I've maybe put on 2-3 lbs.
  • allanakern
    Options
    I've just heard/read people say before its nearly impossible for girls to gain muscle in that amount of time, and I just wanted to make sure it was at least possible, even if its not the case for me. I definitely need to watch my protein closer, its hard to get 128 g a day for me!
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    A few pounds over that time period especially if you are new is entirely possible.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've just heard/read people say before its nearly impossible for girls to gain muscle in that amount of time, and I just wanted to make sure it was at least possible, even if its not the case for me. I definitely need to watch my protein closer, its hard to get 128 g a day for me!

The amount of calories you are getting will be more important than just protein if you are trying to gain muscle. How many calories are you eating?

What is your current training regime/programme?

If *could* be possible for a young female to gain a few pounds of muscle in 8 months if she is eating at a caloric surplus and has a good training programme.
  • allanakern
    Options
    Squat 3x10 (sometimes 4 sets, fourth set a little lighter)
    Deadlift 3x10
    Kettleball swings (usually inbetween sets to keep my heart rate elevated)
    Leg extensions 3x10
    Leg curls 3x10
    Tri extensions 3x10
    Bench 3x10 (sometimes 4 sets, fourth set a little lighter)
    Some shoulder lifts I don't know name for...
    Rows 3x10
    Incline sit ups holding 25 lbs weight to chest
    Powerclean (just with bar but 3x10)

That is not all on one day, I break it up so I'm lifting 4-5x a week. Directly after lifting, while my heart rate is still elevated, I run 2 miles at moderate pace.

Have not been precise on counting calories lately (bad bad I know) - I must be eating at maintenance though because I have not gained or lost recently
  • costleyma06
    costleyma06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes time for women to gain muscle. Many fitness models go through bulk and cut phases to get their desired look - which takes YEARS. Always remember to not compare someones end to your beginning. Focus on being better than you were yesterday, you'll get there!

You have to choose a goal, since you can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. If you want to gain muscle you need to eat enough in order to build. If you are eating at a deficit, you won't be building muscle. Keep an eye on your protein intake and aim for ATLEAST 1g per body weight. Do you track macros? Do you weigh your food?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Realistically, how much weight in muscle can a 22 yr old female gain in a specified period of time - say 1 month, or 6 months? I've heard conflicting theories

Depends on diet (protein, size of caloric surplus), genetics, workout routine (lifting program including rest periods), how long you have been lifting, etc. That said It will not be a lot unless you are also taking or have high testosterone levels.
  • erickirb
    Options

Have you been in a caloric deficit, maintenance or surplus?
  • allanakern
    Options
    maintenance, lately. trying to decide the best direction to go. I do want to cut a bit more fat, but I love lifting, but hate lifting on a deficit
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have gained 10 pounds of muscle since the beginning of October.

I was also eating in a surplus, pushing hard every workout, hitting appropriate macros and following a hypertrophy routine that was customized to me.
  • laureneliset
    laureneliset Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Since February I have gained around 4 lbs muscle and lost around 22 lbs fat, so it is possible to do both simultaneously. No special eating programme for me other than aiming to net my BMR and trying to make sure I hit 40% protein on my macros (was a bit patchy at this too, only recently are the lifestyle changes so well bedded down that I'm hitting it regularly)

In my case however although I am fairly strong anyway, I was new to lifting and I've heard newbies can build muscle even while eating at a deficit. This is however apparently temporary.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Since February I have gained around 4 lbs muscle and lost around 22 lbs fat, so it is possible to do both simultaneously. No special eating programme for me other than aiming to net my BMR and trying to make sure I hit 40% protein on my macros (was a bit patchy at this too, only recently are the lifestyle changes so well bedded down that I'm hitting it regularly)

In my case however although I am fairly strong anyway, I was new to lifting and I've heard newbies can build muscle even while eating at a deficit. This is however apparently temporary.

New to lifting with weight to lose is much more likely to gain some or maintain muscle mass than someone that has lifted for a bit and does not have a lot of fat stores.
  • allanakern
    Options
    I also did a body comp test thing on bodybuilding.com and it said with my info that I will have a tendency and build to gain muscle easier (don't know if that's accurate or not but found it interesting)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I also did a body comp test thing on bodybuilding.com and it said with my info that I will have a tendency and build to gain muscle easier (don't know if that's accurate or not but found it interesting)

The only way you know if you gain muscle easy is to try it and monitor your body changes.

ETA: I don't understand why you are worried about how much you can gain in a given period. There is absolutely no way to guess. I can gain half a pound in 2 months and 3.5 pounds the next 2 months. Just like weight loss it isn't necessarily linear. Just put in the work and see what happens.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

It's not just the muscle itself that allows you to lift heavier weight, your central nervous system also gets more adept at utilizing the muscle you have.

If you did Stronglifts for instance, you might not get that much noticible muscle, but your strength would increase rapidly.
  • allanakern
    Options
    I am not even necessarily concerned with myself, I'm just interested to know because it was getting discouraging hearing girls do not gain muscle weight when I've been working so hard