Skiing

Options
It's a long way off but I'm going skiing at christmas and I had already decided that I'm going to enjoy myself. Logging would be a nightmare due to eating out etc and would also depress me whilst away as I would be way over my cal allowance until I inputted skiing to see just out of interest the cal burn would be, and just skiing generally not moderate or vigerous is nearly 1700 cals for three hours (I would be probably be doing more like 5/6 hours but with stopping at different sections, going up lifts etc it would work out at around 3 of actual skiing) is this right or is mfp way off?:smile:

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sofie1313
    Options
    It depends a lot on how you ski.

I usually come down at a low speed, barely break a sweat and tend to focus on the scenery and the nice "flow" of sliding down. I really doubt that would burn a LOT of calories. I calculate with "fast walking" in this case - very far from 600 an hour...

(that would be running at 6 km/h speed, 600 an hour)

I can ski down really fast and I do it occasionally for the adreneline, but I really can't do that for 5-6 hours and neither do I want to.

But when I used to log my food I DID log everything incl. eating out, if you have a smartphone it is nothing difficult and I think it is very important in not going overboard. Or say, it is very easy to go overboard with the "I am not logging right now because I want to have a good time" thing. You can have a good time logging, too. And clear conscience helps with that :-)
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Well I tend to ski well as in I can go down black runs but I tend to stick to red/blue runs, but I do ski fast as I tend to ski better the faster I go (up to a point) as my turns are more fluid. I do sweat as I end up with ice on my eyebrows on very cold days.

I log going out now but everyday will be in a restuarant.....
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think you'd probabaly be safe enough not logging for that week. The calories you burn will probably even out the ones you eat.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    But will I be actually burning that much?
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to equate how much effort with omething that you already know the burn.
    So if you ski for half an hour, does it feel like you went for a stroll a brisk walk or a run.
    Thats what i use as a guide for excersize that i dont know the actual cal bin.
    The other option is to wear a hrm.