12 yr old low carb

2»

Replies

• PatrickXFCE
    PatrickXFCE Posts: 52 Member
    In answer to some of the questions, this diet was indeed recommended by an endocrinologist in Nashville. As I understand it, we are being put in touch with a nutritionist, but we haven't heard anything from them yet.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Okay I'm not on low carb intentionally but I try and have more protein so the carbs go down.

On a typical day I have

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs on toast (the bread is seeded wholemeal) obviously you don't need the bread
    Lunch - Either homemade 3 bean chilli or chickpea and chiroz casserole with quina (spelling)
    Dinner - Turkey and veg any meat with veg will be fine

Snacks - fruit and greek yogart.

Drinks - Lots of water and one Latte (I do not recommend this for a child)

There are some carbs in that but not too much

I'm assuming that once the weight has come off things will get better so being active will help too.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    I still say instead of cutting his carbs and depleting his energy and making a 12 year old feel like crap and potentially cause damaging weight loss and re gain by cutting carbs and the weight gain when he adds them back in later it could completely throw his body out of whack

you should just cut out fast food and processed meats and get rid of chips / cookies / pop tarts / sugary cereals / soda / sugar drinks and replace them with 100% whole wheat breads / oatmeal for breakfast and healthier meats for lunch and dinner and adding in lots of fruits and veggies to every meal... for snacks instead of cookies and other 12 year old treats give him fresh fruit or some whole wheat crackers or whole grain popcorn you can also bake homemade muffins and cookies made with fruit instead of sugar and use whole wheat instead of white flours and you can replace white sugars with honey / raw sugar / fruits
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    In answer to some of the questions, this diet was indeed recommended by an endocrinologist in Nashville. As I understand it, we are being put in touch with a nutritionist, but we haven't heard anything from them yet.

Hi. Is this a pediatric endo? The reason I ask is that my younger brother is a type 1 diabetic. He was diognosed at 14. The insurance tried to have him go to an adult endocrinologist and he did for a while. It did not go well. Managing his diet and insulin so he kept his sugars under control and kept up his energy was a nightmare on the adult focused endocrinologist's plan. My parents fought for the peidactric endo and it made a huge difference. Growing kids have really different needs than adults.
  • PatrickXFCE
    PatrickXFCE Posts: 52 Member
    @kristydi: I have no idea if the Dr. was a pediatric endocrinologist or not. I will ask my wife on the matter.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    This might sound judgmental, but it's not meant to be.

...how did he become so overweight in the first place? Took a peek at your profile pictures and bingo - just as I thought. It looks like your whole family is overweight....

Rather than to put the kid on some sort of restrictive diet, I respectfully suggest that you and your wife learn how to make healthier meals. Change the eating habits for your entire family. Make it a family thing! Get out and move more as a family! This way, everyone wins and your kid doesn't feel singled out or restricted.

From a psychological perspective I tend to agree with this (under the supervision of a doctor). I don't think it would be good for him to feel singled out and put on a diet by himself.

Remember that you are role models for your son and he learns from your behavior.

There have been numerous correlation studies regarding BMI. For adopted children (where info on genetic parents is known) the BMI of the kids (even into adulthood) was MUCH more closely related to the BMI of their adopted parents than the BMI of their genetic parents. The implication is that habits learned as a child are more important than genes in predicting BMI as both a child and as an adult.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    @kristydi: I have no idea if the Dr. was a pediatric endocrinologist or not. I will ask my wife on the matter.

Please don't ask advice this important on a forum! Carry on with the professional care that you started.

Good luck.