getting bored

Options
sloseph
sloseph Posts: 157 Member
i'm sure i can't be the only one who has experienced this so i'd like to know what people have done to get through

the problem i'm having, i'm bored with the meals i cook, every week i seem to be eating the same stuff, it's still nice but it doesn't excite me so most of the time i end up feeling like i can't be bothered to cook and we all know where that past leads

i cook all my meals from scratch with the occasion jar of sauce thrown in for certain stuff, i just don't know where to go from here,

when ever i try to look for new things to cook they're either seem to contain 100's of ingredients or are just unhealthy

so to sum up because i feel I've rambled a bit, does anyone have any suggestions for what i can do to get out of this foot rut?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I look for new and different ways to make my standards.

or add in different spices

For example tacos...they are yummy but eh...so I made taco cupcakes last weekend...I thought my son and husband were going to inhale them.

my favorite place for recipes is canadianliving.com or allrecipe.com
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Find a food you haven't tried before or haven't had in a long time and work around that.

Allrecipes.com ... you can search by ingredient. Find the ingredient/food you want to use and see all the stuff that comes up for it.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I look for new and different ways to make my standards.

or add in different spices

For example tacos...they are yummy but eh...so I made taco cupcakes last weekend...I thought my son and husband were going to inhale them.

my favorite place for recipes is canadianliving.com or allrecipe.com

My kids would LOVE those. Searching now :happy:
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I am always looking through cookbooks and blogs for recipes. I like to find new ways to cook the same old piece of chicken (or whatever). Really, food is so versatile. It doesn't have to take a ton of ingredients. A few key spices can be sufficient. Try combining different flavors. For example I just found a recipe for Blueberry BBQ sauce. This sounds fantastic to me, doesn't take a lot of ingredients, and it's something I would not have thought of pairing. I'm going to make some crockpot chicken to go with it.

Think of the foods you love and just start searching out some recipes that incorporate them. You might also check out some cookbooks from your local library. Use these recipes as a base and tweak them based on what you have on hand or your dietary needs. Are there any cooking classes in your area that you could go to? Our community college offers a ton of classes and the menus are based on different regions.

One last idea - puruse the diaries on MFP of some of your friends. You might find some good ideas there, too.

Hope this helps!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I buy new things to eat to shake things up.. also get recipes from skinytaste.com that really helps. try the jallepeno popper chicken.

What i do is go through phases where I eat certain things..then burn out…then shake it back up. It is so easy to cheat when the food gets boring.
  • DougSister
    Options
    I like to get creative with my food. I've developed recipes like the "BLT Salad" and the Anti-Pasta Salad. The BLT Salad is just that - crumbled bacon, diced tomatoes, and lettuce tossed with fat-free or "light" dressing. (I prefer Ranch).
    The Anti-Pasta Salad is a new spin on an old favorite, the Antipasto Salad. The ingredients and nutritional information are as follows:

Ingredients:
    1 C diced tomato
    1 C sliced black olives
    1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 C diced ham
    1/2 C sliced mini pepperoni
    1/4 C fat free zesty italian salad dressing
    4 C raw baby spinach (you can substitute lettuce or kale)

Makes 4, 2-Cup servings or 8, 1-Cup servings. (I only eat one cup at a time!)

Serving Size 2 Cups
    Calories 128
    Fat 8
    Carbohydrates 6

I really hope this helps!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I've caught myself going a little seasonal. Zucchini is in now...fresh herbs from back yard to spice things up.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :) some great idea's there i will give them a go :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I love the Eating Well website. It has tons of free healthy recipes and many are really simple. For excitement, I like going to the farmer's market and finding a fruit or vegetable I have never eaten. This is how I discovered Hubbard squash.