Big Busted Ladies - Preferable UK

Options
Hi Ladies,

Recently I have been getting pain in the side and top of my breasts.
It co-incided with the time I stopped using the pill and I thought that this may have something to do with it as I have been on he pill for a long time and I never had discomfort before.
I even did a self examination and found nothing.

After a month, it didnt subside and began to feel my breasts were being stretched a bit like the handles on carrier bags if the contents are too heavy. My partner laughed when I used this example!!
I started wearing my sports bras everyday and the pain turned into an ache and even that is starting to get less and less.

I have put it down to the bras that I was wearing not supporting me enough.
Can anybody recommend good supportive bras for big busted women that will not break the bank? I don't really have enough money to be visiting bravissimo at £40 a bra!!
I am a 38G.

Replies

• lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm not a UK'er but I would see a doctor to have this checked out. Good luch.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Marks and Spencer has a decent range of supportive high impact sports bars around £20 and most of which come in cup sizes A-G. Cheaper than Shock Absorbers, especially if you can get hold of any in your size at sale time. I'm not very big busted but I like the fact that their sports bras come in the same sizes as their other bras.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I will try m&s.
    I am looking for something a bit prettier than a sports bra.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm that size too and I had problem like that - especially when I started to lose weight and they got less full. (That changed after I had been on maintenance for a while.)

I used similar strategies as you. I worse a sports bra for sleeping. I have good supportive bras all day.

After years of buying expensive bras, I went another way. I went to a big, inexpensive store (Target in the US, there must be something equivalent there.) I tried on like 30 bras until I found 3 that fit. All were very inexpensive (1/4 to 1/3 of what I'd been paying). All work great. Two were wired, one unwired. They were by Hanes and Fruit of the Loom. BTW, Hanes makes fantastic sports bras for sleeping.

A key thing for bras is to change them out. They need to rest between wearings so the elastic goes back to shape. As soon as they start stretching, throw them out and get new ones. You can do that if they are inexpensive.

BTW, I don't know if they sell them there, and they ARE expensive, but the new Jockey bras fit very well for people of all different sizes.

Finally . . . losing weight is a wonderful thing. Less can be more.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yep - go to M&S - they do good packs of 2 pretty bras (and t-shirt bras) for around £20-£25 pounds. Make sure you try them on as the sizing can be a bit off - I have had to go up/down a cup and/or back size when buying there in order to get the correct fit.
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!

ive always spent a lot on my day to day bras and find it is worth it but I also go onto Debenhams when they have sales you can get some real bargains.

I tend to wear shockabsorber "run" for more impact workouts but have had Debenhams others for when im doing low impact/weights work outs.

sometimes Asda have some good day to day ones in too
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Some of the asda bras aren't bad - cheap and the balcony ones are pretty supportive (supportive enough for every day use - I wouldn't go running with one on!)
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do not live in the UK but I did experience pain similar to yours last month and it lasted longer than I could stand to put up with the pain. The onset was before my time of the month and it lasted beyond. I called my doc but could not get an immediate appointment so I began to do some online research. I read among other things that caffeine can contribute to breast pain. My habit was to drink about 20-22 ounces of coffee per day. I immediately gave it up. With a few days my pains went away. I have stayed decaffeinated since with only the rare, occasional 8 oz cup - perhaps one a week. (I do love my coffee!). but I'd give up anything to get rid of that pain. I do not know if that was the cause or just a coincidence. I see my gyn for my annual appointment today and we will undoubtedly discuss it. You might give that a try if you also consume a lot of caffeine. Good luck! I wish you well.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36/38FF M&S don't seem to fit me properly so I go to boux avenue the plain bras (which aren't ugly) start at £18 depending on how pretty you want them they go up in price.

They also give out points like clubcard points and I think you get 4 or 5 per pound so you can save as you spend. :)
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It is very tough buying larger cup sizes in the UK, most high street stores stock up to a D cup or DD if you're lucky so we don't have the cheap options of going to Primark, New Look etc.
    I am the same cup size as you and tend to rely on Marks & Spencer as they tend to be pretty and consistent fit, always important to get measured though, especially if losing weight aa I find it often goes from my bust first :(
    Debenhams and BHS also go up to that size but can be a little plain for my taste. There are brands such Curvy Kate for larger busts, many retailers stock and can be found online. Anne Summers do stock larger cup sizes, but I find them a little over priced.
    I saw an article on the Daily Mail website recently that compared bra's for the larger bust - don't think I can post it but worth searching as it had some other suggestions.
    Tough being a G cup, I recently went into La Senza and they had some beautiful stuff but they don't go up to a G.
    Finally, but probably most importantly, please do go to the doctors about the pains, just to be sure!
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It is very tough buying larger cup sizes in the UK, most high street stores stock up to a D cup or DD if you're lucky so we don't have the cheap options of going to Primark, New Look etc.
    I am the same cup size as you and tend to rely on Marks & Spencer as they tend to be pretty and consistent fit, always important to get measured though, especially if losing weight aa I find it often goes from my bust first :(
    Debenhams and BHS also go up to that size but can be a little plain for my taste. There are brands such Curvy Kate for larger busts, many retailers stock and can be found online. Anne Summers do stock larger cup sizes, but I find them a little over priced.
    I saw an article on the Daily Mail website recently that compared bra's for the larger bust - don't think I can post it but worth searching as it had some other suggestions.
    Tough being a G cup, I recently went into La Senza and they had some beautiful stuff but they don't go up to a G.
    Finally, but probably most importantly, please do go to the doctors about the pains, just to be sure!

Boux Avenue is the new La Senza. :)
  • lillyrose2020
    Options

Boux Avenue is the new La Senza. :)

Ahh, had no idea it had changed name - missed that one! Do you know if they are now stocking G cup?
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally I went to Boux Avenue yesterday with my daughter (34F), and she was very impressed with the range. She was fortunate enough to get a very helpful assistant who recommended styles and checked for fit.

It was nice that most of the bras had bigger cup sizes, unlike M&S where they are a separate range.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Ahh, had no idea it had changed name - missed that one! Do you know if they are now stocking G cup?

I don't know, but they definitely had FFs yesterday!
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Now that we have all the big busted women in one thread - How you doing? :-)
  • lillyrose2020
    Options

I don't know, but they definitely had FFs yesterday!

Hmm, interesting - maybe I can squeeze them in :)
  • lillyrose2020
    Options

Lol'd at this. You saw an opportunity and you took it!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Ah. I have found it to be impossible. The closest I've come to finding a "cheap" big bra is to buy a pricy one with the band 2" too small with a cheap extender so that I can milk the bra out for 2 years.

ETA: I probably shouldn't have used the word "milk" lol. I mean - most bras stretch out in 6 months. But with an extender, once it's stretched out, you take it off and start using the actual band of the bra. Seems to be working so far.
  • lillyrose2020
    Options
    It was nice that most of the bras had bigger cup sizes, unlike M&S where they are a separate range.
    [/quote]

Yes, this is true. Very annoying that M & S only have the separate range as it is very limited compared to the 'normal sizes'
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options

I have to give you 10/10 for effort lol

Thank you all =) I will look at all places mentioned.