If you're fat but cut out sugar, still high diabetes risk?

I'm actually a little paranoid about diabetes as it does run in my family. I'm over 200lb and obviously ate a lot of *kitten* to get here, but now my diet is completely different. I know it's going to take time to get the weight off, but in the mean time am I still in the danger zone? I literally don't eat any "obvious" sugary things. No chocolate, sweets, fruit etc in fact my diet is pretty spotless.

Essentially, I'm asking if weight alone can highly contribute to diabetes or is it just the sugar intake?

Ps - I haven't cut out all the sugary things just because of the paranoia!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Weight and genetics are the bigger factors for type II diabetes. Reducing carbs/sugar will help mitigate some of that, but honestly, weight loss and exercise (both weight training and cardio) will reduce your chances of getting type II more than just watching sugar.

Are you insulin resistant or anything? Or do you just want to prevent getting type II?
  • It's fantastic that you're working hard to improve your overall health. Insulin resistance develops due to excess weight and not enough physical activity. We know that insulin resistance develops gradually over many years, and that losing weight and getting regular physical activity can help reduce insulin resistance and prevent or delay type 2 diabetes. There's good information here: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/ You're making a great start toward your goals! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    My mom is diabetic and I tend to follow her line of genetic illnesses so I understand the paranoia. From what i have read, physical activity plays a huge role. I try to exercise every day even if it is only walking up and down the stairs 20 times. Also all carbs play a part not just sugar but any refined starch with a high glycemic index. I do have some sugar (I can't live without my chocolate) but have greatly limited any refined flour and try to eat mostly whole grain bread and pasta.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    It's the weight that causes insulin resistance to increase, if you eat more foods in easily digestible glucose then it causes your insulin to spike more as well, which is generally only a problem after you have insulin resistance.

I eat candy like mad but I have fairly low blood sugar so sugar isn't the bad guy here.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Weight and genetics are the bigger factors for type II diabetes. Reducing carbs/sugar will help mitigate some of that, but honestly, weight loss and exercise (both weight training and cardio) will reduce your chances of getting type II more than just watching sugar.

I am in the same boat. No truer words were spoken than above. The carb/fat/protein ratio should also be watched just so that your blood sugar doesn't spike (which it can for carbs almost as badly as sugar). Since both sides of my family have it, my siblings, and parents, I'm almost guaranteed to get diabetes when I get older. I'm hoping to keep it at bay for as long as I possibly can as well. Ultimately, yes, you are still at risk (because of the genetics), just much less if you cut weight down (while building muscle) and sugars down (but don't forget the carbs).

I will add that the carbs and sugars aren't wholly evil. We just have to moderate what we eat when we do and try to get the healthy sugars if you you do eat them (i.e. fruits and veggies). The Glycemic index and glycemic load is another indicator for the foods that are better or worse for you to control those blood sugar spikes.

Doctors will say they live by the 100 rule, if you keep your blood sugar under, LDL cholesterol under and blood pressure around 100 (obviously not as low as that for BP), you will live to be 100. I like to think I'm trying to do that.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member

I am in the same boat. No truer words were spoken than above. The carb/fat/protein ratio should also be watched just so that your blood sugar doesn't spike (which it can for carbs almost as badly as sugar). Since both sides of my family have it, my siblings, and parents, I'm almost guaranteed to get diabetes when I get older. I'm hoping to keep it at bay for as long as I possibly can as well. Ultimately, yes, you are still at risk (because of the genetics), just much less if you cut weight down (while building muscle) and sugars down (but don't forget the carbs).

I will add that the carbs and sugars aren't wholly evil. We just have to moderate what we eat when we do and try to get the healthy sugars if you you do eat them (i.e. fruits and veggies). The Glycemic index and glycemic load is another indicator for the foods that are better or worse for you to control those blood sugar spikes.

Doctors will say they live by the 100 rule, if you keep your blood sugar under, LDL cholesterol under and blood pressure around 100 (obviously not as low as that for BP), you will live to be 100. I like to think I'm trying to do that.

Do you mean sticking to the percentages that MFP gives me? I try to get as close as possible with them but it's never spot on. I struggle getting protein WITHOUT the fat and carbs (as I'm transitioning to vegan).
    I don't exercise much. I do about 10,000 steps a day, then about 20-30 mins on arms and legs so I should really try and incorporate more!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member

Do you mean sticking to the percentages that MFP gives me? I try to get as close as possible with them but it's never spot on. I struggle getting protein WITHOUT the fat and carbs (as I'm transitioning to vegan).
    I don't exercise much. I do about 10,000 steps a day, then about 20-30 mins on arms and legs so I should really try and incorporate more!

Clearly, you cannot eat only protein. Fat and oils are good for lots of functions in the body. Carbs -- keep limiting them.
    Losing weight will dramatically cut your diabetes risk.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Essentially, I'm asking if weight alone can highly contribute to diabetes or is it just the sugar intake?

Weight is a bigger factor in acquiring the disease, though carbohydrate (not just sugar) intake increases the symptomatic high blood sugars once you have it.

A quick weight loss over 8 weeks has been used to reverse Type 2 diabetes symptoms (search for Newcastle Diet) by stripping fat out of the liver and pancreas.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    It's individualistic.

I wish I could say that one came before the other, however, over the course of the last year or so, I've gone back & forth,

The only thing I can say is that it is probably inevitable if you are both overweight & have strong familial history, unless you do something about it. However, that can be easier said than done.

All of my 5 of my father's brothers & sisters have it, & one recently died of complications brought on by lack of control. She was in her 60's. Both of his parents had it & both died as a result of lack of control as well. His mom was in her mid 40's when she died, though this happened in 1969.

That being said, I haven't had contact with my father or his side of the family since I was a baby, with the exception of the occasional visit when one of them took a trip to the US, they all live in the Caribbean.

All the information I've gleaned over the last year is that they all started putting on a large amount of weight in their late
    20's to early 30's (same thing with me). We are of Asian (both Indian & Chinese) & European ancestory and eat the usual Caribbean diet that happens to be high carb (though I ate LF/HC). We are small people, women 5'-5'3" and men 5'6" or so.

All of us who were able to get a handle on T2D eat a relatively low carb to lower than most carb diets & are of normal weight. Those of us who were not able to control their T2D are still overweight & health is steadily albeit slowly, declining.
    This is the oldest of us & I can only imagine, it is probably due to ignorance & outdated diabetic management. I don't know, we don't speak.

Had I been in contact with them throughout the years, & realized they all had it, as well as how strong of a marker this is, I could've saved myself a great deal of grief.

The entire time I was developing IR & on my way to becoming T2D, I was lifting heavy weights, a regular gym goer, doing classes 4 times a week, and had a physical job where I stood on my feet 10-12 hrs a day....and putting on a large amount of weigh for my small 5' frame. My normal adult weight was about 112# & at my highest, I was 173#.

For me, it's possible it was the food I was eating (low fat/high carb) but more likely I was destined to get it due to the combination of very strong family history & high carb/low fat. I expect I was sub-clinical for a number of years.

That said. I've got it under control & all is well, the only thing that's different now is that I'm on Metformin & I eat LCHF.

TL;DR version: for me, I can't answer which came first but more likely it was genetics.
    No matter which, get your weight under control & exercise.
    Living with the specter of T2D in 2014, doesn't have to mean what it did in the 1960's :wink:

ETA: OP, I wish I WERE paranoid about getting T2D when I was your age, it wasn't even on my radar when I was diagnosed. Though this is likely a combination of the fact that no one in my family spoke about it & it was not a connection anyone made as far as genetics =/

Had I been aware, I would've definitely had blood work done before & took limiting carbs seriously.
  • starspecks
    starspecks Posts: 49 Member
    With food it's all about the glycemic load. Basically the higher the glycemic load the faster your blood sugar rises and the larger amount of insulin needs to be released which stresses the pancreas when done consistently for long periods of time combine with inactivity + low lean body mass causing insulin resistance and of course genetics. Refined carbs like white pasta or white bread are digested quickly and have a higher glycemic load than complex carbs like whole wheat pasta or whole wheat bread. Also what you eat with your carbs changes the effect as well. Protein and fat slow the absorption of glucose into the blood stream and prevent spikes. So adding high fat cream cheese on your white bagels makes a difference than just eating the bagel plain. Having peanut butter with your banana would too!

Here is a list of the Glycemic load of 100+ foods http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I literally don't eat any "obvious" sugary things.
    Sugar =/= diabetes.
    While you shouldn't pound down a bag of snickers, the not so obvious things matter. Carbs (potatoes, breads, pasta, rice, etc.) .
    Carbs get converted into glucose. Glucose is fuel. Too much fuel too fast (blood glucose spikes) isn't good for those predisposed to diabetes.

Lose weight
    Control carb intake
    Exercise
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Nobody online is qualified to advise you.

If the doctor gave you a diet, follow it. Keep exercising. Keep your follow-up appointments. Do what you were told to do.

Diet and exercise have taken people out of the problem area, but you need to know what is best for you.

My Fitness Pal is NOT a substitute for dietary advice. The forums are NOT a substitute for medical advice. There are no experts giving advice here.

You have to ask your doctor.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    I very rarely eat bread and pasta but I eat potatoes pretty much every day. If I try and aim for a little under what MFP advises, carbohydrate-wise, should that be ok?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I very rarely eat bread and pasta but I eat potatoes pretty much every day. If I try and aim for a little under what MFP advises, carbohydrate-wise, should that be ok?
    Okay with who? Okay how?

If it's medical advice you want, ask the doctor.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Generally people who develop T2D have more than one risk factor. Common risk factors are being overweight, family/genetic history, high stress levels, and long term use of antidepressants. There are less common ones which can include things like certain cancer treatments, especially in childhood; if your mother had gestational diabetes while you were in the womb; and some studies have even linked a higher amount of arsenic in the body to T2.

A healthy, balanced diet (tweaked a little with lower carbs) and exercise along with weight loss usually balances out some of the risk factors.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Personally for me diabetes is also on both sides of my family too. I was diagnosed with PCOS and pre-diabetes in 2009. I'm no longer pre-diabetic. I do watch my carbs by eating healthier choices such as whole wheat, and quinoa. Also try to not overdo sugar though still have treats. Exercising.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    In my case, I had to cut sugar AND carbs, that is what worked for me.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Weight loss is your best bet for preventing the disease. Do that. Sugar is only a worry if you've already developed it.
  • shellypaints
    shellypaints Posts: 49 Member

First, you need to be asking you questions to your Dr.

FWIW, I am pre-diabetic and I'm on medicine for that and a carb restricted diet. Have you spoke to an endocrinologist about this? or even your primary Dr? I was advised to not worry as much about fat intake as I was to limit carbs. I have foods I have been forbidden from eating until I reach either a certain weight or blood test results. Those foods include, potatoes, oatmeal, pasta, breads, rice, winter squash, carrots, sweet peas, corn, melons, pineapple, bananas, mangos, etc. It's hard because I love all of those foods. especially bread, I love to bake. So right now I am not baking bread or other goodies.

I try to only have 30-40 grams of carbs per meal, and 10-15 grams per snack. That's a maximum of 150 grams of carbs per day. My current weight is 218 down from 223. I'm getting there slowly and steadily.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,332 Member
    I'm actually a little paranoid about diabetes as it does run in my family. I'm over 200lb and obviously ate a lot of *kitten* to get here, but now my diet is completely different. I know it's going to take time to get the weight off, but in the mean time am I still in the danger zone? I literally don't eat any "obvious" sugary things. No chocolate, sweets, fruit etc in fact my diet is pretty spotless.

Ps - I haven't cut out all the sugary things just because of the paranoia!

I am not sure what you mean by "paranoia" in regards to sugar and not eliminating it completely. Not being able to see your diary, I am unable to comment on your dietary composition or whether there are any common offending foods that play a role in diabetes development but that said...
    Weight loss is not the only factor in preventing or putting type 2 in remission nor is sugar. Genetics play a huge role. I have put mine into full remission and I have only lost 25 lbs to date of the 80 that I want to lose. My numbers normalized very fast when I did the right things and this is typical. Dietary composition has more effect than any other single thing that you can do; even weight loss though that is a goal of mine. Exercise is a huge plus but diet will make the fastest and most permanent change because it is primarily a person's genetic coding that causes an unfavorable reaction to the wrong foods for your body composition. You have to learn what you can personally tolerate then just follow that. It isn't complicated but will take a bit of sleuthing on your part. You want to squelch insulin production and increase your sensitivity by building new muscle receptors through exercise (think lifting weights mostly for fastest results but walking is fabulous, too) and eliminate inflammation in your body by choosing the right food types. Inflammation drives both diabetes and cardiovascular disease which is why they go hand in hand. Diabetes is largely a serious full body reaction to modern dietary protocols which are a poor fit for a body with different genetic requirements than for what food manufacturers or the government tell you to consume.

If you want to understand the science behind it all, I highly recommend Volek and Phinney (The Art and Science of Low Carb Living...). It changed my life forever and my numbers are normal after 12 years of metformin and I take no meds now. I also did insulin while pregnant and had gestational diabetes 23 years ago. I also have eliminated my IBS, GERD and anxiety attacks among other things along with thousands in medical costs.

Type 2 diabetes is VERY prevalent in my family, too and it is primarily an autoimmune reaction (as is type 1) to foods and hypersensitivity to carbohydrates which vary from person to person in their intensity. This also drives the newly named Type 3 (Alzheimer's disease and other dementia). I happen to by highly sensitive to carbohydrates (specifically grains, dairy, starchy root veggies and some fruits) and now I get all of my carbs from low carb veggies (no fruit at the moment while I am losing weight) of which I eat in abundance then protein and healthy fats to satisfy me. I eat far better now than ever before with far more variety, too. I do not miss what I have eliminated after the physical and mental addictions were overcome and they ARE addictions if you see the science.
    Healthy fat is not your enemy; carbohydrates and allergy inducing foods are (again, grains and dairy for most people and they also go hand in hand- if reactive to one, most likely the other). I also eat no types of sugar, period (rarely stevia, erythritol or splenda because they can still cause an anticipatory insulin reaction) and I do not miss them. I eat no grains, period (public enemy #1) and I do not care. I eat only high fat pastured and sometimes raw dairy products (no milk, only butter, cream, real cheeses, etc...). I eat no trans fats, period (only monounsaturated, saturated and get my polyunsaturated from food- in that order). I eat high quality olive and avocado oils, coconut oil, animal fats from pastured meats (not commercial-nasty stuff) and organic produce mostly from my local farmer's markets. Pesticides and herbicides are also linked to obesity and diabetes.
    You can either pay the farmer or the doctor and with your health and that is very true.
    "Eat to your meter" which means to test and log your reaction to every food you eat for awhile and eliminate those that cause spikes. You will soon see that, whether diabetic or not, what you can personally tolerate and if you don't have a meter-get one ASAP. Wal-Mart has a Reli-On with cheap strips now or get an Rx from your doctor. I use a One-Touch Ultra Mini and it is fine. You should be testing and discussing things with an endocrinologist if you have a family history that strong. Prevention is your best ally and not hesitating to take the bull by the horns to protect yourself.

Also recommended: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution BEFORE you are diagnosed.

Feel free to read my profile and see what I have done with this. :flowerforyou:
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,268 Member
    in the end, all food turns to sugar so yes most likely
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    OP; the more detailed responses in this thread come from the point of view of people who have reached diabetic BG levels.

You are not there yet, but it's possible you are at risk.

Read up. Bloodsugar101.com helped me a great deal. The link below explains how Diabetes develops. The author of the site has LADA & explains in great detail the ins & outs of what started out for her, to be T2.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php

Good luck, again, I wish this was on my radar when I was in my 20's as that's when everything started going wrong for me. Don't get me wrong though, you've got plenty of time to get this sorted out while you learn what applies to you, personally.

It took about 15 years before things really started to get out of whack enough for me to get diagnosed so that I was able to do something about it.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • BigGuy47
    If I try and aim for a little under what MFP advises, carbohydrate-wise, should that be ok?
    MFP macro targets are meaningless for anyone with a metabolic condition. You can set custom macros if you wish.

I try to keep my macros below 150/day. I can't do the very low carb thing, too low for me.
    You should check out the Bloodsugar101 link that Hookilau posted. A good starting point for learning more about diabetes.

@ Kalikel
    Relax. No one here is claiming to be a doctor. The OP is curious about diabetes so she asked a simple question.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Okay I stopped reading after the second person... DIABETES TYPE 2 IS -NOT- genetic in ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM. It is COMPLETELY due to diet and lifestyle. You are at a higher risk being over weight only because MOST people who are overweight have insulin resistance from eating sugary/carby foods. If you ARE NOT eating these sort of foods then you do not need to worry AT ALL. Also, Strength training reduces risk of diabetes type 2 dramatically :)
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Genetics doesn't cause diabetes, but it can make you susceptible to it.

More here:

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/genetics-of-diabetes.html
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Okay I stopped reading after the second person... DIABETES TYPE 2 IS -NOT- genetic in ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM. It is COMPLETELY due to diet and lifestyle. You are at a higher risk being over weight only because MOST people who are overweight have insulin resistance from eating sugary/carby foods. If you ARE NOT eating these sort of foods then you do not need to worry AT ALL. Also, Strength training reduces risk of diabetes type 2 dramatically :)

Someone needs to do some reading from reputable sources.

ps: nobody said that it is genetic, just that there is a genetic risk factor. Genes are just one risk factor of many and generally a person who develops T2D has two or more of the risk factors. If obesity is the only cause, then why isn't every obese person T2D, and why are there a large number of T2D who are not, and never have been obese?
  • BigGuy47
    Okay I stopped reading after the second person... DIABETES TYPE 2 IS -NOT- genetic in ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM.
    Please cite a scientific reference to prove that genetics plays no role with developing diabetes
    Typing in all caps does not make your position correct. It only serves to make you sound loud and obnoxious.