Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    eat them with your eggs -
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You should eat the whole egg. Your body needs a certain amount of good fats, which the egg contains.
  • pinkaeryse
    pinkaeryse Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i mix mine with salt and freeze them. they may come in handy at some point!
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    eat them yourself as they are delicious, or feed them to your dog. And don't take my word for it as I'm not a trained veterinarian, but I trust that this guy knows what he's talking about...

http://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/dog-nutrition/Dog-Nutrition-A-to-Z
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, I now buy the egg white cartons. Sometimes if I do have to use from the fresh egg, I give the yolk to my dog, or I make my cheese cake with 3 egg yolks with one whole egg ( it actually turn out really well, my kids like them better) or put them in my potato salad. You can def try to make home made mayo with them. Hope this help.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Most of the nutrients are in the yolk, personally, I would never eat just the whites.
  • pilvi3
    pilvi3 Posts: 200
    Options
    Dont worry, I will do it just for a short time to give myself time to loose some over-fat I got buy eating a lot of "just - a- littles" and "nothing- will -happen's".

I adore egg yolks btw:smile:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Hollandaise sauce to put over the egg whites. :laugh: I just eat the whole egg. I would buy the egg whites in the carton if I couldn't eat the yolk.
  • pilvi3
    pilvi3 Posts: 200
    Options
    It just gave me an idea how to get cca 100 % proteins in natural food.
    That is all, I love whole eggs otherwise!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I eat them. I do buy egg whites to add extra protein to my 3 egg omlets but you also need fat
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Never did buy into that "egg white only" gimmic...So many other less healthy fats that could be eliminated...when I competed in natural bodybuilding, it was "the thing" to do back then, too... I jumped on board with it because after all "real" bodybuilders only eat the whites.... oy.... just eat the damn egg....
  • charlottemilton
    charlottemilton Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Usually we eat the whole egg at my house. But when there are egg yolks to be eatten--

Make spritz cookies! They are small but a treat and they will freeze. Usually they don't make it to the freezer because the kids devour them first.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It is not so much the calories but this (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/cholesterol/faq-20058468)

"One large egg has about 186 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day. Consider substituting servings of vegetables for servings of meat, or avoid high-fat dairy products for that day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites."

So it's your heart you are trying to save by tossing that yolk away... if you go read the whole article from the link, you will see 4 whole eggs a week is OK and there is more information... but in general either by 100% egg whites OR toss that yolk!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Just eat the whole egg. The yolk contains all the important nutrients - it seems a waste because it is a waste. They only keep for 2 days so you basically have to eat them immediately anyway. Most recipes you make out of them will be unhealthier than just having eaten the whole egg in the first place.

Otherwise, make mayonnaise, custard, carbonara, burgers (using the yolk as a binder), yolk omelet, sponge cake, mousse cake, ice cream, as a face mask... here's a website with lots of egg yolk recipes.

http://www.neighborfoodblog.com/2014/03/recipes-for-leftover-egg-yolks.html

OMG you can make tiramisu. Do that. Then FedEx it to me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I'm an advocate of NOT feeding animals people food. It causes bad tendencies and habits.

Eggs are not 'people food', it just happens that they are nutritious for humans. It is therefore likely that they are nutritious to other animals.

Dogs, cats, rats, badgers, foxes, hedgehogs, etc. will all steal and eat chicken eggs given the chance.

I will steal and eat chicken eggs given the chance.

so.... yes- it is "people food"

Eat the whole egg- it's waste otherwise. no reason not to.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    In your hair, maybe.

Well, since you don't want to eat them, then suggesting you make home-made mayonnaise is not out of the question, huh? Same with making alfredo sauce...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    It is not so much the calories but this (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/cholesterol/faq-20058468)

"One large egg has about 186 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day. Consider substituting servings of vegetables for servings of meat, or avoid high-fat dairy products for that day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites."

So it's your heart you are trying to save by tossing that yolk away... if you go read the whole article from the link, you will see 4 whole eggs a week is OK and there is more information... but in general either by 100% egg whites OR toss that yolk!

This is from studies done in the 1970's... dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol are not the same. Do a Google search for updated info. One link is below, from the Heart and Stroke Foundation.

http://www.heartandstroke.on.ca/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=pvI3IeNWJwE&b=5063573&ct=7512525

Unless you have type 2 diabetes, you can just eat the yolk!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol in eggs does not lead to cholesterol in humans - that link has been debunked for quite some time now.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    the only purpose egg whites have is to hold the yolk while making my eggs over medium. I hate egg whites, but I love the yolk. I'll still eat the whites, though, gotta have the protein.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Eat them of course !!!!:laugh: