How much fat is too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Oh, and here is a report on the organization that is not changing their recommendations:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryhusten/2012/06/04/subway-meals-get-american-heart-association-endorsement/

If their "findings" change, then so do their funds. Money is a big motivator not to change, and Subway only has it's profits in mind. They buy that label for its sandwiches, because the public will buy that sandwich because "the AHA says it is healthy for me." They lose that sticker, they lose profits. Point blank. Read that first bullet point list about what is on that sandwich. you cant have cheese because it is not healthy. CHEESE! Who eats the sandwich they are recommending? Nobody.

I hardly care what the AHA thinks at this point. While they are a good organization and do a lot for humanity, they are held hostage by who pays them. Subway is not a place to go if you want to lose weight and eat healthy. Most of the meat they serve is processed stuff that you can buy in an Oscar Meyer package.
  • parasshelawala
    parasshelawala Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am a veggie head too and I found my carb / fat / protein balance leaning high on the carb and low on the protein side but I have been taking a protein supplement to balance it out to the default MFP balance and that's ok for me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options

The name of the article you linked is: "Saturated Fats Not So Bad? Not So Fast, Critics of New Analysis Say" I think it's making the opposite point to what you were claiming. Also in the article:
    "Mainly I think the findings should be disregarded," says Walter Willett, MD, chair of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, who was not involved in the study. While the analysis suggests that ''saturated fat is not quite as bad as its reputation, it depends on what you compare it to," he says.

"If you replace saturated fat with carbohydrates or refined starch or sugar, you are not changing your heart disease risk," he says. ''If you replace saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat, you do get a reduction in heart disease risk."

Also noteworthy is that after reviewing the findings, the American Heart Association decided not to change its recommendations with regards to saturated fat.
    The main reason why heart disease risk drops with an increase in polyunsaturated fat is because that quartile/demographic are more health conscience and have also reduced their sugar and refined carbs.......it's not rocket science and good ol' Walter has a hard time connecting the dots some times, especially if animal products are present.