I messed up :(

Options
So I was on day 20 yesterday and going strong. Last night I ate a lot of stuff that I shouldn't have. I got very discouraged because I've been doing so well. At first, I was thinking of eating at a larger deficit for the next 3 or 4 days to make up for the extra 1600 calories I ate last night. Yes you heard that right, 1600 extra calories. Well, I decided not to do that because I think it will set me up for failure. So I just entered them into my diary for Thursday (I just did it now on Friday) and closed it out. See this is where I usually give up but I'm not going to do that. Going to keep on plugging away.
Has anyone ever gone off and if so how do you deal with the disappointment?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    your approaching this in completely the right way. just log it and move on, learn from your mistake. 1600 cals didnt undo your 20 days of awesome, you got this!
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Exercise more, Distribute the calories throughout next 2-3 days instead of uber failing one day, more importantly I GET BACK ON THE HORSE ! :-) Good luck ! ps read my diary and you'll see what I had to do yesterday from a binder the day before !
  • Sofie1313
    Options
    I go off ALL THE TIME!

The best approach is not the one where you never go off. It is the one where you learn to go off and get up the next day and continue whatever you are doing.

Ever since I changed to this method I have FINALLY successfully lost about 35 lbs meaning I go "off" at least 2 or 3 times a month, sometimes even every week and hell I'm not worried about it.

Saturday evening? Give me that huge bowl of spaghetti alfredo. I am not talking about real binging like eating 3 cakes on top of that and having 6 more beers, but just one decent fatty or sugary or whatever meal that gets me nice full and feels good. After it I now KNOW I am going to continue the next day and in a week yes the scale proves I did lose.

Don't be hard on yourself. Weight loss is a process and eating more sometimes is not a failure.

Just make sure "sometimes" is kept at bay.
  • jfboomer
    jfboomer Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think you have the right attitude! I go off on the weekends quite frequently. I used to let it get to me, but now I say, meh, and just get back on the horse and keep going. I honestly don't think it has slowed my progress all that much.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think you have the right attitude! I go off on the weekends quite frequently. I used to let it get to me, but now I say, meh, and just get back on the horse and keep going. I honestly don't think it has slowed my progress all that much.

when I was on Weight Watchers I used to go off every weekend for all of Saturday and all of Sunday. I lost 33 lbs anyway doing that. I just tryed not to go too crazy.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    Options
    I go off ALL THE TIME!

The best approach is not the one where you never go off. It is the one where you learn to go off and get up the next day and continue whatever you are doing.

Ever since I changed to this method I have FINALLY successfully lost about 35 lbs meaning I go "off" at least 2 or 3 times a month, sometimes even every week and hell I'm not worried about it.

Saturday evening? Give me that huge bowl of spaghetti alfredo. I am not talking about real binging like eating 3 cakes on top of that and having 6 more beers, but just one decent fatty or sugary or whatever meal that gets me nice full and feels good. After it I now KNOW I am going to continue the next day and in a week yes the scale proves I did lose.

Don't be hard on yourself. Weight loss is a process and eating more sometimes is not a failure.

Just make sure "sometimes" is kept at bay.

Thanks for the sound advice. I'm glad I posted; feeling much better about it now.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    Options
    Exercise more, Distribute the calories throughout next 2-3 days instead of uber failing one day, more importantly I GET BACK ON THE HORSE ! :-) Good luck ! ps read my diary and you'll see what I had to do yesterday from a binder the day before !

Thank you; yes I did read your diary :)
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    Options
    your approaching this in completely the right way. just log it and move on, learn from your mistake. 1600 cals didnt undo your 20 days of awesome, you got this!

Thanks. so true about one day not undoing what was done for 20 days!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    MY logic. 3500 weekly deficit 1600 over one day . 3500-1600=1900 deficit. You will still be at a deficit for the week but may not hit a full pound.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this this this.

I have over eaten by something like 2000-3000 calories- and still managed to be under for the week- stop think so much about the day to day aspect and look big picture- do a report for your net calories for the last 30 days and see what the average is- you might be pleasantly surprised!
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, instead of having a deficient of say 3 pounds in 20 days, you have a deficient of 2.5 pounds in 20 days. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure you don't make it a habit.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Accept it as what it was. Yes I do this lots, and stress about it. But I've tried to realize that this is a journey, and so what if it takes me a few extra days to lose 1600 calories (or about .5 lbs).
    Also you could also amp up your excercise over a few days (to whatever your comfortable with), This will also help with bloating from overeating.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that! Look at it this way, if you're 1600 over your calories, you probably only ate 600 calories over what you burned, assuming you have a 1000 calories deficit... so it will take you less than 2 days to make up for it. So, really not a huge deal, just keep on going (it gets more of a huge deal when you're close to goal though).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    It's one day in the whole scheme of things. You did great, log it and move on.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it and move on . Don't try to kill yourself to "make up" for or cut your calories lower to balance just move on. This is real life and stuff like that is gonna happen! Lose the food guilt!!!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most of us have gone over even more than you did LOL We all have those days. Actually, I had a whole WEEK like that while on vacation the first week in August. Guess what? I had a little sodium bloat then came right back down and have even lost since! Pick yourself up and keep on going. You're going to have those days. We're all human.
  • debbiewbaker1
    debbiewbaker1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing on my anniversary--wine tastings, dinner out, desserts. I was so discouraged, but I just got back on and kept going. A week later I had still lost another pound.

You will recover from this quicker than you think!
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Great attitude! We all make choices that we regret later, but don't give up! :)
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options

^this!