StrongLifts 5x5 noob questions

Options
Just starting stronglifts and already effing up like a pro. Mixed up my exercises (did bench and overhead press on same day... whoops... starting over). I had some random questions.

1. Am I being a total wimp? When I bench, I only do something like 155. By rep number five, I'm pretty much struggling to get the bar back up to the rest. However, 90 seconds later, I'm good to go. I could probably do 10 sets of 5 reps. Do I need to suck it up? I don't know if I'd complete five reps in a set, in that case. Trying to practice good form.

2. When I was doing NROL, I eventually did my 35-45 minute routine and then did 15 minutes of intervals (1 min. intense, 2 min. off) on the bike. Is this kosher with strong lifts? I don't see why not, but thought I'd clarify.

3. When I do barbell rows, I get a sharp stinging sensation in my left forearm, as if I'm stressing a tendon, during the fourth or fifth rep of most sets. Do I need to lower weight? I am able to complete 5x5 with the weight I'm doing, but would hate to injure myself. Could I be doing wrong form? I've watched the video, read the notes and am trying like heck to do it completely correctly.

4. Pre and post-workout foodstuffs. Because I have to get up at 4:45 a.m. just to fit in a workout and make it to work, I am really not willing to prep and eat a meal one hour before lifting, so I have been doing protein water (body fortress whey, 170 calories for one scoop) about 15-20 minutes before the workout. Is this okay? I find it still helps my muscles perform better than if I only drink water.

Post workout, I've either been doing another protein + water and eggs (one whole egg + four or five whites, a little cheese, green onion, in olive oil) OR a smoothie (raw oats, flax seed, berries, spinach, yogurt, almond milk, soy protein powder). Any other recommendations? Am I doing it all wrong?

5. I would appreciate any advice experienced stronglifters have for a new guy. Anything that helped you out. I've tried to follow instructions to the letter (even wearing my Chuck's), but I'm sure there are things I'm missing. Like any supplemental workouts? Should I still work my glamour muscles (curls, tricep extensions, ab only workouts like planks or swiss ball prone jacknives?) on the weekends? Is it a problem that I run or hike on my off-days?

Thanks in-advance for any advice you're able to give. Trying like hell to become a stronger and better-looking guy.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    Just starting stronglifts and already effing up like a pro. Mixed up my exercises (did bench and overhead press on same day... whoops... starting over). I had some random questions.

1. Am I being a total wimp? When I bench, I only do something like 155. By rep number five, I'm pretty much struggling to get the bar back up to the rest. However, 90 seconds later, I'm good to go. I could probably do 10 sets of 5 reps. Do I need to suck it up? I don't know if I'd complete five reps in a set, in that case. Trying to practice good form.

If you are actually following the stronglifts program you would have started with the empty bar (45Lbs). I would strongly suggest you follow the program as written as starting at a weight that is so low allows you to work on form, and raising the weight every new day working out will quickly get you to weights that will challenge you.
    2. When I was doing NROL, I eventually did my 35-45 minute routine and then did 15 minutes of intervals (1 min. intense, 2 min. off) on the bike. Is this kosher with strong lifts? I don't see why not, but thought I'd clarify.

When you get to higher weight you likely won't have the energy to do this, but if you do IMO go for it. Just don't cut into your recovery by it.
    3. When I do barbell rows, I get a sharp stinging sensation in my left forearm, as if I'm stressing a tendon, during the fourth or fifth rep of most sets. Do I need to lower weight? I am able to complete 5x5 with the weight I'm doing, but would hate to injure myself. Could I be doing wrong form? I've watched the video, read the notes and am trying like heck to do it completely correctly.

A lower weight would probably help. Since I don't know what weight you are using, again, follow the directions in the actual stronglifts program. As I wrote earlier, it starts with very low weights for a reason, and this would be one of them.
    4. Pre and post-workout foodstuffs. Because I have to get up at 4:45 a.m. just to fit in a workout and make it to work, I am really not willing to prep and eat a meal one hour before lifting, so I have been doing protein water (body fortress whey, 170 calories for one scoop) about 15-20 minutes before the workout. Is this okay? I find it still helps my muscles perform better than if I only drink water.

If it helps do it.
    Post workout, I've either been doing another protein + water and eggs (one whole egg + four or five whites, a little cheese, green onion, in olive oil) OR a smoothie (raw oats, flax seed, berries, spinach, yogurt, almond milk, soy protein powder). Any other recommendations? Am I doing it all wrong?

It is much more important to meet your daily macro goals, including protein, than to worry about some post workout window that doesn't seem to bring real benefit. Check out Alan Aragon on this.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I'll reply in bold with comments and following your questions
    Just starting stronglifts and already effing up like a pro. Mixed up my exercises (did bench and overhead press on same day... whoops... starting over). I had some random questions. Get the free App.

1. Am I being a total wimp? When I bench, I only do something like 155. By rep number five, I'm pretty much struggling to get the bar back up to the rest. However, 90 seconds later, I'm good to go. I could probably do 10 sets of 5 reps. Do I need to suck it up? I don't know if I'd complete five reps in a set, in that case. Trying to practice good form. If you are just starting I'd lower the weight. If you are struggling now you'll be failing as soon as you add weight. With lower weight you'll get more practive with good form.

2. When I was doing NROL, I eventually did my 35-45 minute routine and then did 15 minutes of intervals (1 min. intense, 2 min. off) on the bike. Is this kosher with strong lifts? I don't see why not, but thought I'd clarify.What are your goals? If you are trying to lose weight, sure, a little interval cardio might help.

3. When I do barbell rows, I get a sharp stinging sensation in my left forearm, as if I'm stressing a tendon, during the fourth or fifth rep of most sets. Do I need to lower weight? Hard to know. Did you start with just the bar and work your way up? Are you starting the pull from a dead stop with back parallel to the floor? I am able to complete 5x5 with the weight I'm doing, but would hate to injure myself. Could I be doing wrong form? Yes I've watched the video, read the notes and am trying like heck to do it completely correctly. I'd suggest videoing yourself and post in the "Eat, Train, Progress" group for form critique.

4. Pre and post-workout foodstuffs. Because I have to get up at 4:45 a.m. just to fit in a workout and make it to work, I am really not willing to prep and eat a meal one hour before lifting, so I have been doing protein water (body fortress whey, 170 calories for one scoop) about 15-20 minutes before the workout. Is this okay? I find it still helps my muscles perform better than if I only drink water.Some people train fine in a completely fasted state. Some perform better after eating. If you feel better after a protein shake, stick with it. You may want to try to get some carbs in pre-workout too. Fruit, juice, Powerbar (or similar), toast, poptart. The protein shake is great for muscle repair but carbs will provide more energy through your workout

Post workout, I've either been doing another protein + water and eggs (one whole egg + four or five whites, a little cheese, green onion, in olive oil) OR a smoothie (raw oats, flax seed, berries, spinach, yogurt, almond milk, soy protein powder). Any other recommendations? A balanced (carb and protein) post-work meal/snack will help recovery. Am I doing it all wrong?As long as you are getting some food in you within a few hours after you'll be fine.

5. I would appreciate any advice experienced stronglifters have for a new guy. Anything that helped you out. Video yourself and if you don't have a critical eye, post the videos. I didn't realize I wasn't squating low enough until the weight got heavy and my mobility was terrible. For squats I went from 5x5 at 200 back down to 95 and worked my way back up. I also incorporated Joe Defranco's Limber 11 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc) before every workoutI've tried to follow instructions to the letter (even wearing my Chuck's), but I'm sure there are things I'm missing. Like any supplemental workouts? Chuck's are good. I did no supplemental work. Should I still work my glamour muscles (curls, tricep extensions, ab only workouts like planks or swiss ball prone jacknives?) on the weekends? Is it a problem that I run or hike on my off-days?I wouldn't do anything but maybe some core work. If you want to run or hike you'd be better off doing it on your workout days. Rest days are for rest. When the weight (especially squat and DL) gets heavy you'll need those rest days to recover before your next workout.

Thanks in-advance for any advice you're able to give. Trying like hell to become a stronger and better-looking guy.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks, gentlemen, your advice is much appreciated. As goofy as it seems to me, I am going to drop down to bar weight. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm going to have to lower my caloric intake (as this won't really rock me), but I think the benefit in terms of proper form will be a big help down the road. Thank you, thank you, thank you, and I'll try to post minimally with future questions.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Another question, if anyone is still reading this. My gym doesn't have 2.5 lb. weights (x2 = 5 lb. additions each time). Any suggestions? Just add 5 lbs. per side EVERY OTHER time?
  • megacoco
    megacoco Posts: 32
    Options
    For the 2.5lb plates, you can do several things:

- ask the staff at your gym if they could get some
    - invest in your own
    - get washers and weigh them out - plain steel 2 in diameter washers are about .625lbs each and fit a barbell. Here's an example of some you can order, not sure where they ship though (#91081A046) : http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/3217/=tanjs5
    - similar to the above... weigh out some chain + carabiner from a hardware store and wrap that around the bar
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    Another question, if anyone is still reading this. My gym doesn't have 2.5 lb. weights (x2 = 5 lb. additions each time). Any suggestions? Just add 5 lbs. per side EVERY OTHER time?

As stated, first ask if the gym would be willing to get a couple, if not, purchase your own but make sure they are ok with you bringing them in and know you are to avoid future problems. Frankly, for the cost of two 2.5Lb plates, I would just buy them.