how important is strength training?

Options
i do mostly cardio. should i do some weights? how much and what should i do ? does weight training help with toning of general weight loss ?

Replies

• cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Did you know that women lose bone density as they age? But strength training can help to prevent that, and even reverse it. Not to mention that increasing your lean muscle mass can boost your metabolism. There so many good reasons for strength training - for your overall health and for weight loss.
  • mixmistress508
    Options
    Strength training is extremely important. First, muscle burns more than fat, so if you build some muscle, you'll be burning more fat and calories. Plus strength training helps with your bone density. Strong bones are very important. You should do strength 2 to 3 times a week. And you don't need to use heavy weights. For lean muscle, use lighter weights and do 12 to 15 reps in a set. You know the weight is heavy enough when that last rep is all you can do. Rest and do 2 to 3 sets.

In no time you'll be a lean, mean, fat buring machine. Good luck.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should definitely do some strength training as well as your cardio.

Strength training will serve to maintain and boost your healthy lean mass (Bone, Muscle and blood vessels) which will require each cell to be fed and nourished during the 24hours a day you exist.

This results in a direct correlatoin to your metabolism that gives you a 24hr a day boost to your fat burning as well.

You needn't go overboard with the exercises, but concentrate on the large muscle groups (Legs, Chest and Back) which will give you the most increase in your circulation and energy transfer.

Shoot for 2-3 times a week in addition to the cardio you're already doing and you'll start seeing more results. (In conjuction with plenty of rest and healthy eating.).

Cheers!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was the same way...all cardio and some yoga. I recently started a strength program that a trainer at my gym put together for me at minimal expense. It is a combination of weights, machines, stability ball etc. It takes about 40 minutes to get through. I have never enjoyed strength training in the past, but the results I see make it definitely worthwhile. I cannot say that the scale has changed that much, but I think my shape has definitely changed. Clothes are fitting differently. I bought a size small dress the other day. I was thrilled! I weigh about the same as you (147):)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Strength training is essential! 1. Muscle burns more calories while @ rest than fat, which helps you burn more fat! 2. A gain in muscle may make your weight increase, but your pant size drop! (this is because a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat) 3. If you're aiming to lose a significant amount of weight (or even if you aren't) strength training will help tighten everything.
  • sunnyk8
    sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes, strength training is very important.

Like you, I have been pretty much focused on cardio for a long time now (I'm a runner). But I am about to start adding some strength training to my routine to give myself an extra boost and to tighten stuff up!
  • vaavamom1
    vaavamom1 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys ....
    i am going to start doing some weights from tmorrow.my problem area is arms.i have a couple of 5 lb weights ,any suggestions on how to work them? want to get rid of jiggly arms.
  • cowpoke06
    Options
    This is something that I don't worry about too much. Muscle mass is important for health in terms of strength, metabolism, and overall appearance...it's what frames our body. Being skinny doesn't mean you're healthy. You need muscle mass to be healthy. However, the amount of fat that muscle mass burns is grossly overestimated in most forums. According to livestrong.com, a pound of muscle burns 38 extra calories per day. This is information provided by Sarah Dray, a certified personal trainer and nutrition consultant. If you do a google search you'll find tons of articles talking about how the hype over muscle burning a gizzilion extra calories is just that...hype. Various studies on the topic provide conflicting information...such as participants in a study who gained 2.5 pounds of muscle burned 238 calories extra a day...but then they gained 1.5 more pounds of muscle and after that there was no increase in the amount of calories burned per day. :ohwell:

For me, my most immediate weight loss goal is to drop fat and the best way to do that is through cardio. Now, if you mix cardio and strenght training at the same time that would be your best bet. So I'm going to start focusing on running at least 3 times a week as well as including some cardio/weight training on the other days.