ladies: time of month weight retention

Options
To all the ladies out there:

How many days before your time of month do you notice your body holding on to water weight?

Any tips for mentally handling the temporary plateau?

Thanks!!! :)

Replies

• ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Usually just a day or two. I don't fret it because that means in a week or so I will magically drop the weight.
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not weighing yourself around that time so that you dont see the number on the scale until your body does regulate the water weight/retention :)
  • LuvonLuv
    LuvonLuv Posts: 68
    Options
    I am actually expecting anytime soon...when I start feeling that "I'm fat" feeling, it's usually about 2-3 days before.
    Have you ever tried water pills? I have heard of Lasix and someone once gave me one...you go to the washroom like every 15mins until mid-day. I loved how it pull out all that water. But I do not know how to deal with water retention otherwise.
    I would love to know also cause today is one of those "I'm feeling fat" days...sigh!
  • LuvonLuv
    Options
    I would suggest not weighing yourself around that time so that you dont see the number on the scale until your body does regulate the water weight/retention :)

Aww man, such a simple suggestion. Gosh, think that'll do it for me cause it's frustrating. Lol!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    May I suggest NOT playing around with medication. Lasix is not to be taken randomly for TOM water retention. Anyhoo, it's going to happen, as it is something we can't really control. However, I tend to avoid overdoing it on carbs a few days before and during. Plus, keeping my workout routine regular helps I find. Keep in mind that it is temporary :-)
  • LuvonLuv
    Options
    May I suggest NOT playing around with medication. Lasix is not to be taken randomly for TOM water retention. Anyhoo, it's going to happen, as it is something we can't really control. However, I tend to avoid overdoing it on carbs a few days before and during. Plus, keeping my workout routine regular helps I find. Keep in mind that it is temporary :-)

Thanks for the suggestions, esp. regarding Lasix and workouts.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    To all the ladies out there:

How many days before your time of month do you notice your body holding on to water weight?

Any tips for mentally handling the temporary plateau?

Thanks!!! :)
    Tips for mentally handling? Yeah, know that it's because of my period and completely temporary. :tongue: It's going to happen every single month, so wrap your brain around that and don't let it bother ya.

I weigh myself daily, so I see the fluctuations from so many things, and my weight can easily go up and down 5 lbs during the month. But my clothes still fit the same, so not a big deal.
  • momiles11
    Options
    Sometimes mine goes up by 6 pounds! Then it's all gone by about day 2 of my period. Agree that you should just avoid the scale 2-3 days beforehand. I've tried limiting salt when I have PMS but that doesn't seem to make much difference.
  • inhobbited
    Options
    I'm a bit odd, from the sounds of it... I actually have a steep drop the day before my period, bloat 2-5 pounds during, and then hang on to the water weight for a few days days afterwards. I actually just finished mine and am still hanging on to three extra pounds. :( The scale can be a bit discouraging, if you let it, but sometimes I find weighing myself during the times I worry the most can be cathartic. It all depends on your preferences. I just keep in mind that this is normal for me and do my best with everything else - I know it will go back down soon. :)

I do start craving HUGE amounts of iron (and, of course, chocolate) during my period. Anyone else? ^_^;
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have never noticed water retention, I just get very cranky and famished. First the hunger, then the bad mood. Last month I did not give in to the urge to eat, and actually lost more weight than anticipated. I got even crankier though than usual.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It definitely varies individually. I get PMS symptoms well before and throughout and sometimes for a bit after my period, water/weight retention included. I just ignore it and don't log because I know it's probably just water weight/bloat.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i usually put on 3-5 lbs about 4 days before my period starts ( coupled with the desire to eat everything and everything, and occasionally to punch someone in the face ), and then the last day or two of my actual period that weight falls off, and usually a lb or 2 extra, if i've been consistent with logging/exercising during that week.
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For me its 2-3 days before that the scale goes up and then down again lower than before about 4-5 days into it... I don't get discouraged knowing it should be lower the next week:)
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I truly believe that PMS isn't real, kind of like the female orgasm, it's just an excuse for women to act crazy a few days a month and over eat food. That's why women actually complain about weight gain during that time, it has nothing to do with the "hormones". It's because you stuff your face with chocolate!!!!

....for my fans

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • ytina
    ytina Posts: 2
    Options
    for me it is a week before.......... I prefer water pills on the day it is really bad but you just got bare through it. MY water gain is usually about 5 lbs.. sometimes more. My neighbor usually has about 9 lbs of water gain. Just depends on your body.
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Im fine before no weight gain however the scales are bonkers during and then for days after the bloat lingers takes a good couple of days for things to settle and the munchies feeling hits me hard during I battle with it im actually on ToM now and its such a pain as I am 1 lb off a 2 stone loss which is a big deal for me but like everyone says dont stress u know itstemporary and dont mean anything as its gone once the ToM is over
  • riotatme23
    riotatme23 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    About 3 days. I know its all water because after my period is over, I pee gallons and then I go back to normal.
  • sophysings
    sophysings Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I haven't been tracking weight long enough to know if this'll happen every month, but this month I weighed in the same the week before, up a lb the week of and 5lb down the week after! So mine seems to be really annoyingly long, although my pill makes me irregular. I had a few cheat days out of frustration but I'm really pleased it all dropped off after!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I just go about things normally, meaning same exercise, same calorie intake, etc. I treat it like any other day really because it happens every month, so you can't let yourself get bogged down by the temporary gain.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I truly believe that PMS isn't real, kind of like the female orgasm, it's just an excuse for women to act crazy a few days a month and over eat food. That's why women actually complain about weight gain during that time, it has nothing to do with the "hormones". It's because you stuff your face with chocolate!!!!

....for my fans

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs

He should add "Period Expert" to his list.