intermittent vs continuous exercise

Options
So is one minute of cardio performed twenty times a day appreciably different in energy expenditure (calories burned) than twenty minutes of cardio performed once a day? I don't have any fancy machines or devices to check it out. Thanks.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i would think continuous would burn more because in those little one minute bursts your muscles need a bit of time to warm up, likewise with your heartrate, it doesnt just shoot up within the second you start running. with the 20 minute interval it would be constant throughout once you get past the warm up stage
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Short bursts of cardio are great because the simple act of getting up and moving for a minute tends to springboard people into doing other activities, which in turn burns extra calories. Several studies on the topic show greater fat loss by doing shorter sessions more frequently. I can dig up the studies if you want to see them.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So is one minute of cardio performed twenty times a day appreciably different in energy expenditure (calories burned) than twenty minutes of cardio performed once a day? I don't have any fancy machines or devices to check it out. Thanks.

They are different exercises. There are physiological changes that only happen when you put your body under stress for longer periods of time. Well rounded fitness requires both.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Not exactly maybe what you are asking, but I have a fitbit and what I find is that when I'm up more throughout the day (office job and not a fan of sweating here lol) say like 6 little 5 minute bursts of walking quickly or jogging or jumping up and down for 5 minutes-whatever- I have a larger burn at day's end than if I go for a super brisk walk or jog for 30 minutes straight and do nothing else for the day.

That being said, there are physiological things that only happen when you are pushing yourself for extended periods of time. Agree that if you are going for well rounded overall fitness a combination of both is probably the best.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks guys. I appreciate your advice.