First 5k -- Training plan or no?

Options
2»

Replies

• mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Training plans are useful guides BUT you also need to use some intuition - on a good day, run further or faster. On a bad day don't beat yourself up if you don't go as far or as fast as you planned...

I find planning the activity helpful but use the goals as guidelines - for example "I will run X miles at Y speed" or "I will run for X minutes and do Y miles" - X is fixed - I will achieve it. Y is subject to how I feel on the day.

Also, rule #1 for me: I always run better with other people.

Only YOU know what is likely to work best for you though - trust your judgement!
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have 5k runner I think it's similar to C25K, which I followed now I'm on 10k runner which I follow; but I also in addition do a 'free run' each week last week I ran 5k straight this week it'll be 6k next 7k etc.

Purely because without these extra runs I don't know how fair I can run without walking as the training apps get you to run but with walking inbetween.
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well, I definitely can't run a 5k distance yet -- I can't even run a mile without struggling, lol. I guess I will stick to my app and try to be more patient.

Well, being able to cover a distance of at least 5k in training (preferably more, such as 3.5 or 4 miles) is HIGHLY recommended prior to the actual race. Note that I didn't say you have to run 5k... if you find walk breaks helpful in training--or even in the race itself--then go for 'em.

So the question is: How do you get from where you are now (able to do one mile), to where you want to be for the race (able to do at least 3.1 miles)?

I think training plans are very helpful with that question. They set realistic goals in a realistic timeframe. They are proven to work with most people.

But if you have a better idea on how to go about it, then go for it! Just make sure it really is a "better" plan. Plans that are motivated by impatience seldom are. :-)