can you help me get started with weight training?

Options
i'm dying to start a strength training program. the problem is that in july i strained my hip and as a result my knee went all weird on me also. in addition to that, i have a shoulder injury from last year that flares up if i do too much. what i've been doing is R.I.P.P.E.D. classes and cycling for a couple months, but the shoulder flared up first, we found a variation for that, and then my hip went crazy a few weeks later. so i stopped both this last month, and i've just continued my pilates class once a week, and i do cardio at least 3xweek.

as of right now, my limitations are no overhead shoulder workouts, no lunges except one supported variation to work my quad strength to protect my knee, body weight squats only-no weights/low reps only, no stair climber and no leg extension machine. i was told to try to incorporate more closed chain stability movements.

am i just being impatient or impractical to think that there is some weight lifting i can do right now? i'm currently trying to build enough strength to do push ups and pull ups. so far i've gotten pretty good at doing "girl push ups", but can only do half a tricep push up, and i can hold my chin above the bar if i jump up to position and lower myself down in a fairly controlled way but can't pull myself up. this is huge progress for me, and its exciting. i want more. and i don't want to neglect my legs but the only weight training i know for sure is ok to keep doing is the leg press. anyone know enough about this stuff to give me some suggestions?

i know this might be asking for too much, but its worth a shot. i want this really bad. i want to be strong and i want to know i'm doing good things for my body.

Replies

• Obsidianmagi
    Options
    I'm not sure what "flare ups" mean to you but I am a old tennis player with a weak shoulder. I can do shoulder press but not with much weight.

So what I would recommend to you if your gym has one is the Assisted Dip/Chin up machine. The idea is that you climb onto a platform after choosing an appropriate "assist" weight and do dips and/or chin ups. Start with a weight that is 10-20 less than your body weight and go at it. I like to increase reps , 12,15,18 before in this case decreasing the assisting weight. Dips maybe hard on your shoulder depending on where you are feeling pain.

Also if your hip can stand a rowing action a good back exercise machine will also help you with your pushups.

Good luck.