Measuring food CAN be a lead way towards eating disorders

Options
1235»

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Okay I just want to make things clear about measuring. It can possible, not always, but possibly lead to an eating disorder. Or even could lead to a relapse as well. Measuring foods DOES NOT work for EVERYONE.
    Unfortunately, as good an excuse for not measuring and weighing one's food is this ^ NOT measuring and weighing could have negative results for many trying to lose weight.

Just weigh and measure food if counting calories, otherwise guesswork will ensue and that is a waste of time.
  • jbse26
    jbse26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Okay I just want to make things clear about measuring. It can possible, not always, but possibly lead to an eating disorder. Or even could lead to a relapse as well. Measuring foods DOES NOT work for EVERYONE.
    Okay! And I just want to make this clear.Thanks for the information, not that I can see anyone asking asking you for clarification about anything in such a hectoring tone. Apart from stating the obvious, the purpose is lost on me but measuring food sure works for the majority of people on here, if it doesn't work for others why would they use a calorie -counting site?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Driving cars can lead to car crashes

So your point is?
  • cdl42
    cdl42 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm unclear. Are you talking about measuring food and shooting for realistic goals? Or measuring foods but not using any goals which wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Inversely setting unhealthy goals can and likely will lead to an ED but that isn't the fault of measuring.

By my thinking when you measure and plan it can become a habit but unless you set unhealthy goals it can only be good.
    I agree with this guy. I mean you do have to have a healthy goal in mind. Measuring helps you to maintain healthy eating portions. As long as you are not trying to use measuring to under eat or something. When I started measuring it helped me to know what I was eating and to put it into proper portions instead of being a mindless eating machine.:drinker:
  • cdl42
    cdl42 Posts: 41
    Options
    Driving cars can lead to car crashes

So your point is?
    I also think this guy makes a great point.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    still mad about the "what am I doing wrong" thread...? You know, the one where you asked for help and then folks figured out that you were eating more than you think, burning less than you think, and having no success.

In case you forgot, it was this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1392667-what-am-i-doing-wrong

trying to shame the folks that TRIED to help you by giving you appropriate answers is sad.

Please seek help. You need it.

Go Trog!
  • TheFrugalFatass
    TheFrugalFatass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For a long time, I had to stop measuring foods because it exacerbated my eating disorder. However, for me, the measuring of foods was also coupled with unrealistic weight loss goals (I didn't consider myself successful unless I was losing an average of a pound a DAY - at least) and an unhealthy relationship with food (binge/starve cycles). So, I see the OP's point.

On the other hand (and I may be projecting my own experiences with an eating disorder here), the tone of OP's post sounds like that mixture of defiance and fear that comes with knowing that one is completely out of control around food, but is scared to *stop* being out of control because that means they get fat and scared to be in control because "control" has negative connotations of regimented, disordered eating.

So, to the OP - there really are people here who have lived your struggle. Sometimes the "communities" on sites like these can be a trigger. I know that I finally had to step away from 3FatChicks on a Diet because of the triggering nature of the conversations there. If you feel like the posts are triggering you, there is no law that says you have to follow them. You do what works for YOU - not me, not anyone else - while still being honest about your eating habits.

Friend me if you'd like. I hear a lot of myself in your posts.
  • TheFrugalFatass
    Options
    I weigh every single thing I eat down to the gram and I couldn't imagine using MFP without doing so... It's not compulsive or disordered behavior - it's just meant to keep logging as accurate as possible.

But see - for me, personally, this would lead to EXTREMELY disordered eating. It doesn't work for me. It does work for you (assuming you are being honest about your relationship with food and why you weigh so accurately).

I get what the OP is saying, and I hear frustration and fear in the OP's voice.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Of course, anything that feeds obsessive behaviours can be bad, be that weighing food, weighing several times a day, or exercising beyond the point that it is productive (overtraining, etc), or something else. It really depends on the person, and anyone that finds themselves predisposed to such behaviours should be cautious.
  • TheFrugalFatass
    Options
    Could you please list what can't become compulsive for those who are predisposed to being compulsive?

And this is where you comletely miss the point....

You are correct anything can become compulsive. Therefore, if someone tells you that they have an issue around that particular thing which could lead to negative consequences, you don't tell them to do it anyway!

"Hey, Bob. I really shouldn't drink tonight because I can't control myself once I start drinking."

"Shut up, Joe. You'll drink if you know what's good for you."

"But Bob, I'm telling you that alcoholism runs in my family, and it's a bad idea."

"Shut up, Joe. Lots of people have alcohol without any problem. You're just being a wimp. Man up and have a drink."

See how stupid that is?

Just because most people do it without any problems doesn't mean everybody can do it without a problem. It has to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?

^^THIS. This right here! It's why the phrases "Eat a sandwich!" and "Put down the cheeseburgers!" are so hateful. Compulsive overeating and alcoholism are close cousins. If you've ever attended Overeaters Anonymous, they follow the same tenets as AA and even use AA "Big Book" as part of their approved literature. I submit that compulsive overeating is HARDER to recover from than alcoholism. You don't *have* to drink alcohol to live, but you can't stop eating.