Question regarding Garmin Vivofit and calculating exercise

Options
I have a Vivofit and have been tracking my steps everyday - well over 10,000 a day, 12,000 on average. I know that MFP does not track steps but uses a calorie adjustment from Garmin that seems quite low to me. If I walk 4 miles a day I surely burn more than 47 calories. Should I enter "walking" separately under Exercise based on amount of minutes I walked? Please help!

Replies

• DanielGray73
    DanielGray73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My advice would be pick up a HRM and then you can set activities when exercising. A two hour hilly walk gives me about 900 cal's. Vivofit works very well with HRM and it's a far more accurate metric than steps alone.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just got a Vivofit. Right now I use it to get an idea of what my daily energy expenditure is. I also have a Forerunner 610 with the HRM chest strap. I use that number to adjust my MFP allowance for exercise. By the time my day is over and I get the total expenditure for the day from the Vivofit, I've already eaten what I'm going to eat for the day so for me anyway, using the HRM works out better. I think the HRM will give you better sense of what that particular exercise activity has burned instead of just relying on the vivofit.