Upping Endurance to Become long(er) distance runner

Options
I really enjoy running. In fact, running is my preferred form of cardio. I'm trying to up my endurance to be able to run greater distances without stopping. I do many 5k's but I often cannot do the entire 5k without pause. I've already identified two issues that I have...running on treadmill for distance, and not allowng my mind to turn off. I've begun running outside more and more, and I have worked on avoiding any existensial crisis during my runs, but I've only been able to run a little further.

In addition to my running, I do P90x3--however, I've altered the program a little to fit my work schedule and only do P90 3x a week and run 3x (2-3 miles each time) a week. I have a bench as well, so I've incorporated strength training.

I eat a relatively healthy diet (with a more recent exception, as I've been swamped with work and school...I know...for SHAME....) and I know what foods help me feel more energized before my runs.

I also don't log my work out calories on MFP. I do them on my fitbit, and I don't want my walking calories to interface. I don't know what else to add.

Does anyone have any advice for overcoming this schlump of a hurdle?

Replies

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have started running with the C25K app and am now on the C210K application, running regularly, three times a week 10k. Can highly recommend the app!
    Stef.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Hal Higdon novice 10k training plan to increase my distance. You can Google it for the exact plan but the gist is one short run, one medium run, and one long run each week. I've been doing each twice.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Add run-walk-run to start increasing your distance (Galloway) if you can't run further than 5K. If you're running 3 miles, start running 1 mile and then walk for 1 minute, then run mile 2 & walk, then mile 3 and walk. You'll already increase your distance by how far you're able to walk in the additional 3 minutes of walking.

Then you should incorporate a training plan where you do one long SLOW run a week and at least 2 5Ks. Do your long runs slower than the 5Ks (run-walk-run) and increase the distance a bit each week (10%). Keep a calendar of your scheduled and completed runs.

After you work your way up to a long run of about 7-8 miles (and find out you like running distances and are consistent in your training program), sign up for a 1/'2 marathon a few months out and continue training for that...it will help to keep your training focused.