Salsa?

Options
hey.. just newly started on a diet.. before hand I ate a lot of Nachos and salsa.. I know the nachos are pretty much a write-off and I should throw them in the garbage... but I keep them around for a cheat every once and a while haha.. anyways, I have this huge container of salsa, and from what I see on the nutrition label, it doesn't appear to be that terrible.. but outside of nachos, I'm not really sure what to do with it... anyone have any ideas for what I could do, in terms of snacking or even meals with my salsa?

Replies

• kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I make chicken with salsa all the time. Its crazy high in sodium, but really yummy! I just pour a bottle (small one) of salsa over a couple of chicken breasts, stick them in the oven and serve it with brown rice and a salad. Its really yummy!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Use it as a type of 'marinate' for chicken, fish, beef. Just throw it in a pan and let it cook together. I had a recipe that entailed chicken and salsa in a crockpot, I'll try to find it.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Multi-grain Tostitos aren't too bad in calories and it doesn't have a lot of additives in it. I'm usually able to find them at Target out here.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You might want to watch the sodium content in some types of salsa. I've used salsa as a salad topper (think taco salad with minimal tortilla chips...very tasty).
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Salsa is delicious with eggs,
    homemade bean and veggie burritos
    on baked potatoes (only eat once in a while now)
    homemade mexican salads are good if made right
    the mini flavored rice cakes are good with salsa

I would just watch for the sodium content, most salsa has lots of sodium.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Put it on a baked potatoe, over chicken, or pour over a salad instead of dressing.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Salsa is really good on top of a potato :) I still each chips and salsa but you have to make sure you don't go overboard on the chips. Salsa is quite good for you.
  • jperry902
    Options
    the chicken/salsa sounds delicious!

and yeah.. when I had them last night i had half of a "serving".. 9 chips instead of 18.. it just sucks when im used to throwing back a toasteroven sized pan full of the covered in salsa, cheese, and seasoned ground beef :( lol
  • FeistyKitty808
    FeistyKitty808 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    LAYS BAKES SCOOPS!!! Love these!
  • ziggythecat
    ziggythecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can attest the greatness of baking chicken with salsa on it.

nachos are my weak point. a plateful of chips covered in shredded cheddar then nuked has always been my comfort food. hence my largeness. i've made it about a week without touching them.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Salsa in scrambled eggs in the morning - yum!
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nachos.

chips and salsa! mmmmmmmmmmmm

are you my brother from another mother?

you can use that deliciousness w/ eggs. i also broil chicken breasts, make spanish rice (ok...my mom makes me rice bc hers is THE BEST) and then add salsa on top of that.

i also make pretty healthy burritos and you can def add your salsa in those.

mmmmmmmmmmmm nachos.

i could live on nachos :brokenheart:
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    Put it on a baked potatoe, over chicken, or pour over a salad instead of dressing.

oooooh! a taco salad! YUM!!
  • vandy29
    vandy29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I put salsa in brown rice. And when I sautee onions, mushrooms and peppers I use salsa
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    and yeah.. when I had them last night i had half of a "serving".. 9 chips instead of 18.. it just sucks when im used to throwing back a toasteroven sized pan full of the covered in salsa, cheese, and seasoned ground beef :( lol

Oh yes my friend I totally understand this one!!!
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I put some on a turkey burger, instead of any other condiments...and on my salads, sometimes. Sure beats plain tomatoes.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    tuna, 4 beans mix and salsa. Add some other spices if you want as well. I eat it cold. Tasty as :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Love salsa on my eggs. And fish.
  • drbuffdaddu
    Options
    I make a spicy salad by spooning lots of salsa as dressing over a BIG bowl of lettuce and chopped veggies. So good!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I second (or third) the eggs comment. I also used to mix it with brown rice. I also often eat shredded lettuce with lots of salsa on top and a very little bit of sour cream or cheese (it makes me feel like i'm at a mexican restaurant!).

I also sometimes bake my own tortilla chips- just slice a tortilla into pieces and then bake on 375 or so until crunchy ( you can brush with a very little bit of oil and salt if you want). It helps me control the portion and sodium. You can find whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas or mix it up to find some that may be better than the standard chip.

HTH.