• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    get awesome.

that's really all you need to know.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm in a calorie deficit (and quite a significant deficit, by the way) and I have no problem gaining muscle mass from strength training. My diet is mostly protein. Protein intake is the most important factor in keeping and building muscle while in a calorie deficit.

I do strength training so that my muscles can keep up with my cardio endurance. I can't keep my cardio endurance up unless my other muscles can keep up with my heart. How is one suppose to be able to run a mile if their legs give out at 1/4 mile?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    No expert, but I understood it as follows.

1. Muscle is useful, it burns more calories even whilst you sleep. More muscle = more calories burned per day.
    2. lets you handle physical acivity better i.e it will enable yoi to cycle, row, run, cross train better, which will burn more calories.
    3. you will be healthier with muscle instead of fat. Yoo much fat can be a health hazard. It's the health aspect i'd emphasise and that will be especially valuable in later life.

What's not to like?
    We all have to start somewhere, but strength training is important.
    Dont forget to eat some protein with a few hours of finsihing to help your muscles rebuild themselves.

Ps I think this My question… I see quite often that you cannot gain muscle when you are in calorie deficit. is incorrect?
    I understood it to be tha you can lose both fat and muscle, but strength training will help you buil more muscle back, so over time your exercise and weights will help you gain more muscle. Your BMI should change to a decreasing % of fat.

weellll, i hate the burst this bubble but muscle doesn't burn all that many calories more when iat rest. it's something like 6 extra calories per pound of muscle AND it's really hard to build muscle especially at a calorie deficit and especially if you're a woman. newb gains are like 5 pounds or something and then after that you have to work HARD for your gains (ie pushing serious weight + eating at or over your maintenance)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

1. Muscle is useful, it burns more calories even whilst you sleep. More muscle = more calories burned per day.
    2. lets you handle physical acivity better i.e it will enable yoi to cycle, row, run, cross train better, which will burn more calories.
    3. you will be healthier with muscle instead of fat. Yoo much fat can be a health hazard. It's the health aspect i'd emphasise and that will be especially valuable in later life.

What's not to like?
    Dont forget to eat some protein with a few hours of finsihing to help your muscles rebuild themselves.

Ps I think this My question… I see quite often that you cannot gain muscle when you are in calorie deficit. is incorrect?
    I understood it to be tha you can lose both fat and muscle, but strength training will help you buil more muscle back, so over time your exercise and weights will help you gain more muscle. Your BMI should change to a decreasing % of fat.

weellll, i hate the burst this bubble but muscle doesn't burn all that many calories more when iat rest. it's something like 6 extra calories per pound of muscle AND it's really hard to build muscle especially at a calorie deficit and especially if you're a woman. newb gains are like 5 pounds or something and then after that you have to work HARD for your gains (ie pushing serious weight + eating at or over your maintenance)

Recently read a study, and couple others where they didn't round figures, it was actually 5.6 cal per pound per day for muscle burn that was used as figure.

While the slight majority of LBM is muscle mass, muscle is not the biggest metabolic burner, compared to 4-5 big organs causing it.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14647174

I even think the 5 lb gain is pretty generous, outside the initial carb loading of the existing muscle for new usage of it. 1 lb in 6-8 weeks more likely for woman doing it all correct.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

What's not to like?

Recently read a study, and couple others where they didn't round figures, it was actually 5.6 cal per pound per day for muscle burn that was used as figure.

While the slight majority of LBM is muscle mass, muscle is not the biggest metabolic burner, compared to 4-5 big organs causing it.

I even think the 5 lb gain is pretty generous, outside the initial carb loading of the existing muscle for new usage of it. 1 lb in 6-8 weeks more likely for woman doing it all correct.

so what's some effective organ building workouts? :laugh:

i'll wait for the spammers to propose some new pill or drink that makes you grow an extra liver and kidneys
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    because going from fat to skinny fat is not much of an improvement (IMO, been there done that)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

so what's some effective organ building workouts? :laugh:

i'll wait for the spammers to propose some new pill or drink that makes you grow an extra liver and kidneys

To that end, shouldn't I lose more heat and require higher metabolism in the winter when I wear no hat, and I have, huh, no natural insulation anymore on top?

Also, does stressing the liver and kidney's with lots of alcohol raise their metabolic rate? Perhaps there is a pill already!