Need to settle this once and for all!

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I just came here to say don't mess with Texas.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Not worth it. :laugh:

it's like an argument about religion....everyone gets all worked up insisting they are right...but ultimately, no one gets anywhere.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Actually, this site has moved well into being more sensible and correct in recent years. If you pull up a long thread from two years ago about 'eating below BMR', there were only about two of us (me under a prior user name) who argued there's nothing inherently wrong with it. Now most people seem to hold that position, including some of the 'gurus' around here and (I think) the moderators, overall.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    In for the cut and pasta
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Aww damn. I didn't know MFP had a built in BMR calculator. And all the info is already filled in since our account already has it. I feel like such a dolt :laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

OP, since your smaller, your BMR may be quite low. My issue with eating below BMR would be eating too little food for my personal taste. If I can eat more and still lose weight, I will
  • Rachywascakes
    Rachywascakes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is the energy required to keep you alive, i.e. to ensure your body functions even if you are in a coma, then surely eating below this would leave you feeling weak, not to mention hungry. This can't be a good thing over a sustained period of time. Or am I missing something?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Your body 'funds' any caloric deficit from body fat. To assume that it needs today's intake for today's BMR needs assumes it has no 'tank'. Consider how we can eat once a day but survive all day. We store calories for future use. Overfat is the condition of having over-stored calories for future use. Losing weight is the act of accessing those stored calories and burning them off.

If you had no body fat stores, you would be hurting yourself to eat below BMR regularly.
  • Rachywascakes
    Rachywascakes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Your body 'funds' any caloric deficit from body fat. To assume that it needs today's intake for today's BMR needs assumes it has no 'tank'. Consider how we can eat once a day but survive all day. We store calories for future use. Overfat is the condition of having over-stored calories for future use. Losing weight is the act of accessing those stored calories and burning them off.

If you had no body fat stores, you would be hurting yourself to eat below BMR regularly.

Ha! Didn't think of that! I think I'd be ok to survive quite a while then ....

To be honest though, the thought of eating so few calories to be below BMR would be enough to push me over the edge and into the donut shop though.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Ha! Didn't think of that! I think I'd be ok to survive quite a while then ....

To be honest though, the thought of eating so few calories to be below BMR would be enough to push me over the edge and into the donut shop though.

:laugh:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Eat them all if you're fairly certain of the burn accuracy or eat back 1/2 to 2/3 if you're getting those numbers from something other than time tested observation. You need to fuel yourself and your workouts.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    A common response when a position can't be defended.

My BMR is supposedly 2400ish. Given 31 calories per day per pound of fat, my bodyfat can provide 2600ish calories. I could not eat a thing and my body would still have the energy to sustain my BMR. Why, in such circumstances, would my eating below BMR be an issue, in and of itself?

As far as the OP, she appears to be about 5'4" and 125 pounds. I don't know how that translates into body fat percentage or amount of fat, but if she has bodyfat that can provide the difference in energy between what her body needs and what she eats, why is that an inherent problem?
    61ceZFo.gif
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I just came here to say don't mess with Texas.

Or Florida. We have pretty ornery beach bums.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

My BMR is supposedly 2400ish. Given 31 calories per day per pound of fat, my bodyfat can provide 2600ish calories. I could not eat a thing and my body would still have the energy to sustain my BMR. Why, in such circumstances, would my eating below BMR be an issue, in and of itself?

As far as the OP, she appears to be about 5'4" and 125 pounds. I don't know how that translates into body fat percentage or amount of fat, but if she has bodyfat that can provide the difference in energy between what her body needs and what she eats, why is that an inherent problem?
    61ceZFo.gif
    This might help you understand.

http://baye.com/basic-guidelines-for-fat-loss/
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    if you are using a HRM, you would be safe to eat them all, if you're using MFP's estimate or a machine, eat about half of them.....

No, you would not be, HRMs over-guesstimate calories for most people doing most exercise.
  • trogalicious
    Options

61ceZFo.gif
    This might help you understand.

http://baye.com/basic-guidelines-for-fat-loss/

oh that's right, I forgot how to lose fat.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Losing a lot of weight doesn't require understanding every method there is of losing it.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Losing a lot of weight doesn't require understanding every method there is of losing it.
    like an appropriate calorie deficit?

please, tell me the other ways to lose weight that aren't the above...?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

A sharp knife and a vacuum? :wink:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

As opposed to an inappropriate calorie deficit?

It can be as easy or as complicated as people want to make it. Hell, most people can't define the word "weight" without using a form of the word itself (e.g. "What something weighs.") It's not important.

Eat less and/or move more. That's all anyone needs to learn.