training for 5k

I'm training to run a 5k in October, I've been doing all it on the treadmill. My question is should I run outside too, I'm new to running so I'm not sure how going from running on a treadmill to pavent will go.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Assuming the 5k is outdoors, try to train out there when you can, eventually.

For me, it's harder outside, for others, it's easier. Could go either way for you! All you can do is run outside to see.

Good luck.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    As the previous poster said, do some training outside. You might find running outside harder as you have to deal with undulations of the road as well as the harder surface. The weather will also affect your running. Wind/rain/sun make each run different whereas the treadmill is in a controlled environment. You need to get used to finding your own pace too (not just pressing the button on the treadmill. It sounds like a lot to take in but a weekly run outside should have you sorted for your October race. Good luck with it.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    You might struggle with pacing if you stay on the treadmill all the time. I've had no problems running a sepcific distance a treadmill, but found myself knackered when I ran outside. I tried my husband's wrist thingy and found I was running a lot faster when I didn't have the treadmill setting the plodding speed.
  • Hi There,

I would thoroughly recommend running outside as often of possible, set yourself a few 5k routes around your local area I use 3:

1) A variety of flats and gradual steady hills.
    2) A tough run including steep inclines and declines.
    3) A flat run, or as flat as you can make it.

This will help vary your training and help you set the visual goals needed to achieve at running outside. Also this will help you cope with pacing and dealing with a variety of inclines/declines and terrains. As this will help simulate the real conditions of your race.

Time each run, I love MapMyRun app which links with MFP for your calories, then reach to achieve your goal of setting a PB on race day!

Message me if you want more detailed info,

All the best!

Kyle Bonsor PT
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    The 5k is outside, so you need to do some running outside, it is different. Frankly I started in the gym and had to go outside, gym's aircon failed. I prefer outside to inside at the moment, that may change when it gets really cold and wet. YMMV. Importantly have fun running wherever you choose.
  • Bexxie999
    Bexxie999 Posts: 6 Member
    I'd definitely recommend outside training too. I'm doing a triathlon next week and did most of the training in the gym, had the last 2 weeks training outside and it's so different!

Good luck!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Run outdoors! IMO, it's much easier to walk/run on a treadmill than outdoors. That moving belt seems to help move my feet. Plus the terrain on a treadmill is flat - outside is dips and hills and slopes.

Good luck with your 5k!
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    I trained for my first race completely on a treadmill except for 2 runs. It was a 4 mile trail run up and down a ski mountain. Not really the best training plan but luckily for me, I find I'm one of those lucky ones for whom running outside is easier. I definitely recommend you at least try to do some runs outside and get the feel for running on hills, a different surface, and in different types of weather. I hate running when it's hot, humid, and sunny. But, I have also thus far refused to run in the rain--- probably a bad call if one of my races is ever during a rain storm.

If you have a gym with an indoor track, use that to start getting a feel for doing all of the work yourself if you are apprehensive about jumping right to the road.

Good luck with your 5k!
  • ftrobbie
    Another reason for getting outside that I forgot to mention, wind and rain. Running into the wind and rain this morning was a completely different experience to either the still sunny day last week or the airconditioned gym. Good luck on your race.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    What others have said, do run outside. Just be aware of the transition to hard surface such as pavement, take it easy as it can be rough on the system at first.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Can I ask.... Why are you running on a treadmill? .. for me, half an hour on a treadmill would feel like a lifetime!! Running outside is so much more interesting.
  • ftrobbie
    Can I ask.... Why are you running on a treadmill? .. for me, half an hour on a treadmill would feel like a lifetime!! Running outside is so much more interesting.

I partially agree with you, some of the more modern dreadmills in the sheds are truly linked up for multi media. I can catch up with all sorts of stuff while running. I just don't like the lack of airflow and/ or not being able to get the pace right for how I feel. Hence I'm outside but not because being on a dreadmill is boring.

Have fun and continue enjoying your running
  • shelley234
    shelley234 Posts: 150 Member
    There are a few online apps, type in from couch to 5k and it gives advice on how to train xx good luck
  • bjderemer
    bjderemer Posts: 4 Member
    I'm also training for a 5k in October. My training plan has me running 3 days a week, so I usually do the first run of the week on the treadmill so I can get a feel for my pacing. The other two runs, I do outdoors. I have found that for me, that I tend to run faster outdoors, so having done one run on the treadmill helps me work on my pacing so I can complete the race without exhausting myself.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Definitely do some outdoor running. I do Tuesdays and Thursdays on a treadmill, and Saturdays (long run day) outdoor. The treadmill is mostly because my weekday exercising is mostly before the sun comes up, and I do not like to run in the dark. I can and have run outside in the dark, I just prefer not to. I'm a big fan of the control I have over my workout on a treadmill, but you will need to get used to running in whatever weather is outside.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Treadmills suck. They will eventually injure you. Put on your shoes and run outside all the time. Unless its icy. Or there is lightning. Ice and lightning are not good, but only slightly worse than treadmills.