Decrease workout due to time

For the second summer in a row I got serious about going from walking to running and even saw a nutritionist (who introduced me to MFP!) with the goal to lose weight. In summer work ends at 4pm and I have no evening meetings. Now that the fall semester is in session (I work at a university), we work until 5pm and I have evening meetings every Thursday.

In summer I was getting to the track about 4 days a week to build up running with half of those also in the gym for weights. This resulted in dropping 10 lbs, but I want to keep going! On weight days, I was there for 2 hrs, something I definitely cannot keep up now. I expect I'll only be able to get to the track 2-3 times per week and need to be out in an hour or hour & 15 min.

To adjust I planned to just run my mile to mile & half faster. However, after going from a 10min mile to just under a 9min mile within a week I feel horrible and am starting to develop various pain around my right knee & interior tibia, so I know that's not good. (Yes I have excellent shoes and new insoles.) Yesterday I decided to just go at a comfortable pace and did a mile and then a second mile via intervals. Not only did I feel guilty about my slow 10:49 pace, but also I was there for 90min with warm up, weights, etc.

Sorry for the long narrative; my short question is how can I get in a great high heart rate/high calorie workout in less time without hurting myself?

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    I would aim for doing a pace you are comfortable with and not getting hurt and doing it for the time you have available. This goes for each part of your workout, weights running, etc. We have a life to live and commitments to follow through on and need to adjust. It isn't the end of the world if you can't get everything in.

Maybe post your routines and people can suggest alternatives. It sounds like running is important to you and the calorie burn it produces. You can decrease the calorie burn and lower your food calories and get the same net effect.

Eat a little less, run a little less, live a lot more and don't feel guilty about it.
  • scvbd99
    scvbd99 Posts: 2
    Working out for more than an hour per day is a recipe for burnout or injury, IMO. It will happen, it's just a matter of when. An hour should be plenty of time to get a daily workout in. (This is different if we're talking about training for a 1/2 or full marathon, which may involve tempo runs/steady runs for an hour or more, and nearly zero resistance work).

If you have any IT pain, cease and desist from running immediately. Don't try to run through it. Let it rest until any semblance of pain is gone, and then be careful with it after that. I'm sure you're already looked into it, but you might want to look into getting a running shoe fitting at a professional shop where they can see if you over/underpronate, and can hook you up with a shoe that has the proper support for your gait.

Break up your distance runs with interval training, jumping rope, or cross training in a sport you enjoy. You'll be able to avoid plateaus easier that way.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    An hour should be plenty of time to get a daily workout in. (This is different if we're talking about training for a 1/2 or full marathon, which may involve tempo runs/steady runs for an hour or more, and nearly zero resistance work).
    i agree , an hour is a good amount of time especially if you're good about your time management and not spending time farting around. my workouts are usually around 60 minutes that includes warm up, go time and a finisher or a stretching session.

on lifting days that means i focus on 3 moves only and i mainly use free weights. for instance tomorrow i'm focusing on power cleans,back squats and pull up progress. tuesday it's deadlifts, bench press ad over head press.

also if you have pain from running, you might want to check that you have good form. shoes are really that necessary because if you have good form then it really doesnt matter if you're wearing fancy bells and whistles. landing between your midfoot - balls of your feet puts your joint in a better alignment to absorb shocks and minimizes the time you spend on the ground
  • ghartleroad1
    ghartleroad1 Posts: 51 Member
    You were right. After about 4 months I got completely burnt out from running and just put up a post that I've stopped completely, switching over to some classes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Sorry for the long narrative; my short question is how can I get in a great high heart rate/high calorie workout in less time without hurting myself?

1. Increase intensity.
    2. Change up training types.
    3. Increase time dedicated to working out.

#3 is the best choice. Meetings one day a week is about zero impact. You can run before work, and lift after. Or run before, and run after, etc.
  • ghartleroad1
    ghartleroad1 Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks to all. I quit running completely because it got really boring (inside track and outside too hard on joints). I'm now doing our university Fit classes (where I work) most of the time. My schedule is:
    Mon - Jillian at home (either Shred or 6 week 6 pack)
    Tues - Piloxing
    Wed - Pilates
    Thurs - Off or Piloxing
    Fri - Bootcamp

The weight is still coming off without much problem - hooray! Although now I'm getting in far less weights, some weeks none at all. So I worry I'm losing muscle. I only have 5 & 8 lb free weights at home and going to our university rec weight room is pretty off limits, as I don't want to be in there with the "hulks". Advice?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Good for you.

Also, lol @ hulks. Body based biases are teh kewlest.