1200 is really low

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'd like to lose about 5 pounds. I'm 51 though - really tougher than when I was younger. I was tough then - it's brutal now. Will be horrible in about 10 years. Will survive on lettuce only, I assume.

Age is nothing but a number and doesn't affect weight loss. I know research indicates that metabolism slows with age but I call that BS because it only becomes an issue if a person makes it an issue. Age doesn't change the fact that you must eat at a calorie deficiency in order to lose weight. It doesn't prevent a person from exercising for good health. I'll be 51 in two weeks and two days. Now, ask me if I am going to allow my age to stop me.

I've always wondered if metabolism slows with age because people tend to lose muscle mass as they age. I dunno, that's just something I've always pondered.

Yes, metabolism does slow with age because of several factors like shift in body composition, reduced physical activity, and reduction of calories actually used by the body. These are real but I have had countless number of people in my personal life use these as excuses for not pursuing weight loss and good health. This is the reason I call it BS because this doesn't have to be a road block to weight loss.

Is the bolded simply due to the decrease in muscle mass and the reduction of physical activity or does it have it's own reason? Do you know?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    @Brower,

In the study I read a while back, it stated because muscle mass burns a lot of calories compared to fat, the total number of calories needed goes down as muscle mass is reduced. It also mentioned the decrease in the calories used by the body's organs, such as the heart and liver, seem to occur as the body ages.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Metabolism does decrease with age. This is a well-understood fact, and the reason that BMR calculators ask for your age in addition to your height and weight.
    I was surprised to see someone challenge this. Up till about age 25, I could eat entire cheesecakes without gaining weight. At 61, I gain weight by looking at cheesecake.

I just have to read the word "cheesecake"...so thanks a lot! :):)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    @Brower,

In the study I read a while back, it stated because muscle mass burns a lot of calories compared to fat, the total number of calories needed goes down as muscle mass is reduced. It also mentioned the decrease in the calories used by the body's organs, such as the heart and liver, seem to occur as the body ages.

Interesting, thanks.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I just upped my calories from 1200 to 1400 after a stressful and annoying week. I was amazed. I felt like I could eat anything, just with 200 extra calories. I ate kind of poorly today but damn, I ended up eating 1200 calories after all. Amazing. The struggle was completely psychological.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and it looks like you are actually under every day. Whatever you go over on turns red. Some days you still had 400 calories before you hit your limit. Burning 500 calories exercising means that you can eat an extra 500 calories without actually going over your goal.
    This is one of the reasons my diary is private. I'd have to deal with the comments from friends who think I'm not eating enough. Actuallly, I don't always log my last meal because once I've decided to eat it, it doesn't matter. I'm not trying to create a meal archive, just a guide to what I should eat next.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You really have to weight in how you feel compared to how much and how fast you want to lose.

I was on 1200 for about three months and lost about 20 lbs but I was not miserable. I was measuring and counting accurately, but I also had cheat meals twice a week. If you are hungry and cranky then add calories because you won't stick to it for long. I find that I can lose weight at 1400 but very slowly, if I want result I go to 1200 and it drops pretty fast.

Listen to your body and your mind, do what feels right. Don't go to 1200 unless it's sustainable but keep in mind that you won't have to stay at the number forever. I did it for 3 months, then slowly added calories and I am now at 1800 and have not gained a pound.

Once you reach your goal weight you will be able to eat more as long as you continue to exercise regularly.

Good luck
  • milliondays
    milliondays Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'm replying at the right spot. Re : keeping my diary private.

I'm new to the message board, and I post the thought of the day - but yes, I overeat, and I undereat, and I have real funky meal days. When I look back at my own diary, I confuse myself sometimes. But I have to say, I do find it helpful to view other people's diary. Shows I'm not all that strange after all.

My goal is 1200, but I might change it since I started going to the gym.
  • EverSinging
    EverSinging Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It feels low because it IS low. That would be based on a sedentary lifestyle, and if you've started exercising, that's not you anymore, right? Congratulations on that by the way. Keep up the good work. This means you get to eat back exercise calorie. For me, since sometimes calories are an estimate because I don't weigh everything, I don't eat back all exercise calories. Why don't you aim for half of your exercise calories and see how that goes. If you're still not feeling satisfied, make sure the calories you are consuming count! I find good protein helps curb hunger, so I try to keep nuts around to grab a small handful if I feel hungry. Helps save me from binging and leaves me enough energy to go about my day. Good luck!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and 5'1.5", 120 lbs. I have to say those last 5 lbs. are a lot harder if you are smaller and older. That being said, I have tried going below 1200 (following the CR diet for longevity) which goes below 1200 and couldn't manage with my activity level. Basically, I have to eat back the exercise calories, or I feel tired and weak after workouts. I too could be 5 lbs. less than I am, but I am choosing to stay at 1200, eating back exercise calories, and using exercise to get the body shape I want. I've been plateau'd for 2 months but have seen some good results. I'm actually eating closer to 1400-1500. Also, if you eat the right stuff and lots of small meals,, you can get quite a bit of food without too much deprivation. My diary's open, but don't look at last week! I was just on vacation this past week, so not great at logging or eating properly. However, check my diary in a couple of days and feel friend to message or "friend" me, since we are close to the same age with the same goals.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    1200 was fine for me for a couple months until I started getting dizzy and feeling bad and getting headaches. Then I upped my calories to 1400 and I don't have that problem anymore and I am actually starting to LOSE more weight now. I had hit a plateau for a couple of weeks which was frustrating for me. So now I get to eat more than before and still losing weight. If you need to up your calories I highly suggest you do so. I don't knock anyone for starting off on 1200 but if you feel that isn't enough, your body is obviously telling you that you need to change some things and modify what you are doing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'm replying at the right spot. Re : keeping my diary private.

I'm new to the message board, and I post the thought of the day - but yes, I overeat, and I undereat, and I have real funky meal days. When I look back at my own diary, I confuse myself sometimes. But I have to say, I do find it helpful to view other people's diary. Shows I'm not all that strange after all.

My goal is 1200, but I might change it since I started going to the gym.

Well you have since closed your diary, but it is a huge red warning flag to me that your goal is 1200, and you think that you "went over" your goal by 500 calories on a day you logged 1700 calories of food and 600 calories of exercise.

That is dangerous, and not the right way to do this.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Age is nothing but a number and doesn't affect weight loss. I know research indicates that metabolism slows with age but I call that BS because it only becomes an issue if a person makes it an issue. Age doesn't change the fact that you must eat at a calorie deficiency in order to lose weight. It doesn't prevent a person from exercising for good health. I'll be 51 in two weeks and two days. Now, ask me if I am going to allow my age to stop me.

Really? What about the menopause?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low unless you're very small and very sedentary. What is your height and weight?
    Or older.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I't too low, but if I go higher, I gain. I'm 51!
    Just counted my exercice points today - made me overeat by 500 calories.
    Not good.

I'm 5'1" and lose weight on 1800 cals/day and maintain my weight at 2100 cals/day... and that was before I moved back to the UK when I was much more sedentary because it was too damn hot to walk anywhere. Now I'm back in the UK the numbers would probably be quite a bit higher than that, as I walk a lot more now.
  • Branstin
    Options

What about it? I am in a weight loss group with women who either passed that point or are currently going through it. All of them are still losing weight.
  • auriga2
    auriga2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm small, petite,older, and pretty much sedentary. Trying to change that part though. I'm finding 1200 calories just maintains my weight for me. I was on WW for a while, and they put me on 800 calories a day based on my weight. That was a starvation diet pretty much. But, I did lose weight.

I can't go back to 800 calories. It was just too hard, but it seems 1200 isn't working either. Most days I stick with it, some days I go over a little. But still, the weight doesn't change. Sigh.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

What about it? I am in a weight loss group with women who either passed that point or are currently going through it. All of them are still losing weight.

Well, you said that age doesn't affect weight loss but weight gain is a factor of the menopause for most. That's not bull ****.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You really have to weight in how you feel compared to how much and how fast you want to lose.

I was on 1200 for about three months and lost about 20 lbs but I was not miserable. I was measuring and counting accurately, but I also had cheat meals twice a week. If you are hungry and cranky then add calories because you won't stick to it for long. I find that I can lose weight at 1400 but very slowly, if I want result I go to 1200 and it drops pretty fast.

Listen to your body and your mind, do what feels right. Don't go to 1200 unless it's sustainable but keep in mind that you won't have to stay at the number forever. I did it for 3 months, then slowly added calories and I am now at 1800 and have not gained a pound.

Once you reach your goal weight you will be able to eat more as long as you continue to exercise regularly.

Good luck

If you had cheat meals twice a week, you weren't eating 1200 calories every day. Which means that if you averaged your weekly calorie intake out over seven days, you probably could have eaten more every day and still had the same results.
  • Branstin
    Options

Well, you said that age doesn't affect weight loss but weight gain is a factor of the menopause for most. That's not bull ****.

Yes, I stated it and I will state it again. Age doesn't affect weight loss. Just because a person gets older doesn't mean they can't lose weight despite getting older. I also stated that the causes of a slow metabolism are real but do not stop a person from losing weight. The same for menopause. Those issues will only affect you from losing weight if you allow those to stop you. Using those as excuses is absolutely bullsh$t.