I Feel As If All Hope Is Lost...?

Options
2»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Walking is an excellent form of exercise. You can also throw 10 lbs in a backpack and walk with that. Find a high school, they usually have bleachers, run the steps. So many options available, just do it!
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Exercising will help you feel better mentally and emotionally. Even going for a daily walk can really boost the good chemicals in your brain. And walking is excellent exercise. You can lose weight by walking and eating enough calories to nourish yourself but still create a calorie deficit.

I also really like FitnessBlender. They have a youtube channel and a website, and there are hundreds of free workout videos. I started using them at the beginning of July and I'm really enjoying them. Especially the strength training workouts. Strength training is good for you!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Since you seem to believe this, to the point where it's leading to self-sabotage, you need to focus on changing that mindset.

However, exercise is useful while losing weight for a couple reasons. First, it allows you to eat a little bit more while maintaining your desired calorie deficit. At your weight, walking for an hour at 3 mph (a decent but not fast walk) will give you perhaps 225 additional calories. That can make the difference between feeling hungry and feeling satisfied with what you eat.

Second, if you don't exercise, you'll lose some muscle mass along with fat, since part of what your muscles are doing now is supporting your body weight, and with less weight, there's less need for muscle. That's why people who lose without exercising often end up looking thin but not trim.

Since you like walking, do that. It is great exercise, and it's low impact. As for other exercise, you should find what Dr. Yoni Freedhoff calls your "toothbrush level of exercise": the amount of exercise that you can tolerate because you know it's good for you, just like most of us don't like brushing our teeth but we do it because the consequences of not doing it are worse:
    http://www.weightymatters.ca/2011/11/what-is-your-toothbrush-level-of.html