Picking up heavy stuff - will it always hurt?

Cc215
Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
Ok - so I've been lifting for a few weeks now. The post exercise pain has lessened significantly! I mean I can sit down - I can walk down stairs etc.

But the truth is it still hurts (especially in my thighs - bloody squats!). And this is impacting on my life. I'm a dancer - and the pain I'm experiencing makes the dancing unbearable.

I'm not trying to wimp out or make excuses. I like the lifting - and I feel better for doing it. So that will continue regardless. I guess I just want to know whether the pain will stop so I can enjoy dancing again - or whether I'm just gonna have to suck it up and dance through the pain!

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    I am worried that your pain is not DOMS. DOMS usually goes away pretty quickly and shouldn't interfere with regular life.

Are you sure your form is correct and you aren't hurting yourself doing something bad? Does the pain go away as you lift again or does it interfere with the lifting?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    It will most likely get better. Make sure you are staying hydrated and watching your electrolytes. You might also want to invest in a foam roller and lacrosse ball to work out the worst of the knots.

Fair warning though, be prepared to be sore all over again if you take a break. I took last week off and am feeling it this week. :grumble:
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    How heavy are you lifting and how many reps?
    Also it's possible you're doing too much in one area, i.e. too many leg exercises.
    I lift heavy as well (Stronglifts program) and I honestly haven't felt any significant soreness since week 1. Only tired limbs.
  • scvbd99
    scvbd99 Posts: 2
    As you figured out, the soreness goes away the more you work with weights. It's worst when you go from zero lifting ever to lifting several times per week. You really have to pace yourself and start really small.

Being a little sore from working with weights is almost always normal. If you keep it up for a few months, you'll probably be on here wondering why you're NOT sore after having a really good workout, actually.

Be careful, though. If your soreness prevents you from full range of motion for more than a day with that body part, then that's always bad, and you need to stop working that body part immediately. At best it means that you tried lifting too much too many times and you overextended some muscle or connecting tissue, and at worst it means you could possibly have hurt yourself. Be very careful and never be afraid to ask for help.
  • Cc215
    I think it's DOMS - just a pretty severe form - or maybe I have a low pain threshold!!

It doesn't feel like pulled muscles / injury. More intense stiffness that makes it painful to move again!!

It does impact on my lifting - but only in so far as my squat form suffers because I'm still sore.
    It doesn't stop me altogether!

I guess what I really want is to be ache free after lifting - but if that isn't going to happen I'd rather know now - so I don't keep skipping dancing because it hurts!! I'll just have to comes to terms with it if it's not going to get better!!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I guess I just want to know whether the pain will stop so I can enjoy dancing again

Depends - which program are you following?
  • Cc215
    As you figured out, the soreness goes away the more you work with weights. It's worst when you go from zero lifting ever to lifting several times per week. You really have to pace yourself and start really small.

Being a little sore from working with weights is almost always normal. If you keep it up for a few months, you'll probably be on here wondering why you're NOT sore after having a really good workout, actually.

Be careful, though. If your soreness prevents you from full range of motion for more than a day with that body part, then that's always bad, and you need to stop working that body part immediately. At best it means that you tried lifting too much too many times and you overextended some muscle or connecting tissue, and at worst it means you could possibly have hurt yourself. Be very careful and never be afraid to ask for help.

This makes sense. I suspect I'm over doing it on the squats - which isn't helping!! I'm booked in for a second training session this week. The plan is learn how to do a few more lifts safely so I can mix things up a bit.

Hopefully that will help. In meantime I'll cling to the idea that in a few months I'll miss the pain :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    things that effect my muscle soreness

- big increase in weight lifted
    - tweaks in form since even subtle changes can mean you are using more of a certain muscle than the previous form
    - change in exercise : ie back squats and front squats
    - not enough calories
    - not enough protein
    - hydration
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    I am worried that your pain is not DOMS. DOMS usually goes away pretty quickly and shouldn't interfere with regular life.

Are you sure your form is correct and you aren't hurting yourself doing something bad? Does the pain go away as you lift again or does it interfere with the lifting?
    After my first legs day (following a break), my DOMs will last a few days and I'll be well aware of them in every step I take.
    Once Im back in my routine, the feeling isn't as bad. I think amino acids can help a little bit with the feeling too.