Late night hunger. How do you deal with it?

Options
This is the part of the day that is the most dangerous for me to eat something stupid. It's the time I finally get to sit and relax, watch my favorite show etc. unfortunately my stomach knows it. So after I started dieting this relaxing time of the day has become a bit of a struggle. So is there any cheap trick to cheat my stomach to sleep? I don't always have exercise "bonus" calories to indulge in, unless I devote more than an hour to jogging etc, but I usually don't have that much time or energy for prolonged exercise. Any ideas?

Replies

• NICOLEMC1980
    NICOLEMC1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I need help in this area too! It's when I usually dive into the sweets which is awful.

I can't wait to see what people suggest.
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    Save some calories for the time of day you know you'll want to eat something. I know I want to eat after the kids are in bed, so I usually skip breakfast and save the calories. You could also try a lighter breakfast or lunch.

If I'm wanting something late, and I have no calories left, I'll drink a lot of water. Brushing my teeth or chewing mint gum also helps.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    well you can either plan for this snack time or you can call it an early night. you can try some herbal tea, you can have a big glass of water, etc I like to have noncaffeine coffee myself but sometimes I do the tea. I like the celestials brand.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I did single serving snacks for a while - drive out and get the one serving of ice cream from walgreens, make one serving of brownie, mug cake, oatmeal, couple hard boiled eggs, etc. Options that took a while to prepare and really think about how many calories seemed to work best. The anticipation of the snack itself provided some satisfaction and obviously would kill some time as well, which helps delay my interest in the next snack. Also sometimes complicated planning becomes too damn much for my sleepy head and I just say to heck with it and go to sleep. I tracked those items under midnight snack categories just to separate them out from normal snacks and analyze them as time went on. I don't use the category as often anymore.

One thing to realize is that food timing has no impact on weight loss. There's nothing wrong with liking to get up and grab a meal or snack in the evening or night. It's getting everything to fit within your reasonably chosen goals that should be the challenge.

Nowadays I keep a bottle of Crush enhancer water beside me all day and night. It probably contributes to the fact that I'm not snacking in the middle of the night anymore. But if I really wanted the food, I'd get up and get it
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Try frozen grapes. They are sweet and take a long time to eat!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat for a few hours before bed, but if I'm hungry, I eat.

Have some strawberries or kiwi or something. You can have five strawberries for 20 calories. :)
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    When I don't have any calories left I brush my teeth which actually seems to help. Or drink hot tea
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hot green or ginger tea.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    These are all good tips. I brush my teeth as soon as my calories for the day are gone, and generally stick with water for the rest of the evening. Ice water seems to satisfy me more than just tepid/cold water, but if you need more water to fill out your day, don't ice it! You'll drink more, and faster, if it isn't icy cold.

If you must have SOMETHING, try to find something with a bit of protein in it, like an ounce of cheese on a few crackers, or peanut butter.

Is it possible to move your dinner hour to a bit later in the day? That might prevent the hunger until you're asleep.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just save some of your calories for night time snacks. Hummus is great with cucumbers or pitas, peanut butter and apples, popcorn (you get more bang for your buck).
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Try reducing your weekly weight loss goal so you will have more calories to allocate to night time eating.
  • BusyB223
    BusyB223 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If the TV is your trigger... stay away from it. Find another way to relax. What is more important to you, the tube or getting your health in order?

I used to have the same issue. Favorite show coming on, gotta get my snacks together. It got me a useless spare tire around my middle that I allowed to grow. For that reason and others I stopped watching television.

The sacrifice is well worth it.
  • biddie1
    biddie1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same thing; night time was the most difficult for me. These things I used to break the habit but on different nights. 1. Drink Metamucil, 2. Chew gum, 3, eat fruit, strawberry and banana with yogurt or 3.drink water and go to bed..
    These things help me. Good luck!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I plan that kind of stuff into my day. I enjoy an evening snack while I'm watching television...I just plan for it.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Pre-log the day before so you can allocate snacks for the evening. I always snack at night, but then I make sure that I have the calories available to do that.

I personally don't eat while watching tv, bc I feel like chewing distracts me from watching what's happening on my show, strange I know.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. I am sitting here thinking about going to the pantry, lol.

If I would have gone to sleep 30 minutes ago, I would have been fine, but the longer I sit up and watch TV/ play on the computer, the more likely I am to get hungry again.

Last night, I made popcorn on the stove with olive oil/ sea salt for about 100 calories or so. Right now I'm eating hard peppermint candy and going to try to ride out the craving for more for 10-15 minutes and turn in.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    When I am stressed out I tend to binge more and eat when I am alone at home. So anytime I realize what is happening I eat something that fills me up a lot and makes me feel bloated.

For me a good protein shake does it. I freeze fruits of all sorts and guacamole to have ready. Then I blend one of a choice with lots of ice, protein powder, some almond and whole milk and I feel bloated/full for hours. Sometimes I have a few crackers with it. After this even if I feel like snacking I don't because my stomach feels like it can't take in anything.

I'm not sure if everyone feels as full and bloated as I do with protein shakes but find something that really fills you up but is healthy and try having that before you settle down.

Good luck, food is such good confort it's hard keeping it away.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    It gets easier as you get used to not snacking late night.

Just think: you body "knows" when it is mealtime. I used to eat some stuff most nights at 10-11pm. It takes a while to unlearn that expectation. You'll be hungry a lot for some time. Eventually you won't. If you have to eat something, then keep some stuff at hand you can eat without adding many calories. I used to make a big salad with a small amount of low cal dressing on it. It was enough to help.
  • Hynniew
    Hynniew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am soooo familiar with this problem! I can eat well all day, but once 10 pm rolls past, I have no will power at all...

Here's what worked really well for me: I get up super early (like 5:30 or 6) in the morning and exercise for an hour before anyone else is up. That way, I burn a lot of extra calories - and the night time snacking problem solves itself, since I'm so tired by 10 pm I just go to sleep.