App for increasing running speed?

Options
Hey all you runners,

Is there an app comparable to the c25k app that will holler pace instructions at you while you're running with the intent of increasing your overall running speed? Currently I just run with the mapmyrun app on my phone. If I upgrade to pro, will it give me a training plan to increase overall speed? Is there a better app/way to work on this?

I have ran half marathons, 10ks, triathlons, etc. but never more than 11:30 min miles. I feel like I can run (jog?) forever, but I have not been getting faster. Any and all suggestions most welcomed!

Thanks,
Jackie

Replies

• matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    For iOS, there is an app called Zombies, Run! which is pretty amazing. Essentially it tells you the story of a group of survivors after a zombie apocalypse. You can play your own music and you can follow along with the storyline in your headphones, but what makes it really sick is the interval portion of the app. Every so often (if you have intervals enabled) you will get a prompt to run faster so you're not attacked by a zombie. I used this app all the way through my half marathon training last year and I think my best mile time was around 9:18 a mile.

Also, you can set Nike+ up to prompt you by pace, so if you're shooting for a specific mile time and you fall behind, someone comes over the headphones and motivates you. Hope that helps.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If I upgrade to pro, will it give me a training plan to increase overall speed? Is there a better app/way to work on this?

Endomondo premium will customise a training plan for you, based on the days you want to run and your objectives. It'll also modify the plan as it progresses based on how you're doing, either in terms of pace or sticking to the plan.

Runkeeper has some training plans for protected finish times, so a little less flexible.

I used Endomondo to get me from an 11 min/ mile to 9 minute/ mile, and currently working on bringing my half marathon time down to 1:50
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    just keep at your current pace... but up hills, then up mountains.

Or do intervals... all you need to do is look at your watch.