Muscle soreness

cjusticeg
cjusticeg Posts: 90 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
How should I treat this? I learned this in high school, but completely forget. Should I be applying hot or cold? (the soreness is in my upper arms and shoulders)

Replies

• mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Ice, Ice, Ice. I live by it. Only apply heat if it's moist heat, or for example a hot tub. This message brought to you via countless physical therapists and chiropractors!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Are you referring to injury or DOMS (deep onset muscle soreness caused by exercise)?
  • cjusticeg
    cjusticeg Posts: 90 Member
    DOMS
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    There should be no problem with using heat for just muscle soreness not do to injury.

Do a sitz soak, that great too. Also use an anaglesic and rub it in!! When if feels not so tender rub it firmly for about 2-3 minutes then leave it.

ICE? - You can if you want to east pain but lactic acid causes soreness and you want to flush it out. Ice causes constriction Heat will open up the blood flow more. So after icing rub it and warm up those muslces to flush out lactic acids.

Again this is advice based on soreness due to no injury

Oh and this is from professional who knows a little about muscles!!!:blushing:

:-)
  • eat some ginger, I've read that it helps with sore muscles
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Alternate b/w ice and wet hot (heat a soaked towel in the microwave -- dry heat increases inflammation).
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Are you referring to injury or DOMS (deep onset muscle soreness caused by exercise)?

doms= DELAYED onset muscle soreness, more then one whole day after the activity.

Heat=feels better right now. Cold=feels better later. Your choice.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    You have a legidimate ailment, your doc would probably throw you some lori's and muscle relaxers if OTC and usual treatments aren't working.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    There should be no problem with using heat for just muscle soreness not do to injury.

Do a sitz soak, that great too. Also use an anaglesic and rub it in!! When if feels not so tender rub it firmly for about 2-3 minutes then leave it.

ICE? - You can if you want to east pain but lactic acid causes soreness and you want to flush it out. Ice causes constriction Heat will open up the blood flow more. So after icing rub it and warm up those muslces to flush out lactic acids.

Lactic acid does not "cause" muscle soreness and does not have to be "flushed out". Current research indicates that lactic acid may not even be involved in muscle fatigue at all. Lactic acid is a dynamic metabolite. After the cessation of exercise, any increased lactate is quickly used as fuel or converted back into glucose.

A study published a couple of months ago suggested that compression stockings were helpful in alleviating performance deficits caused by DOMS. Sports massage helped reduce perceptions of discomfort, but did not improve performance.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    glutamine
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Epsome salt bath, and advil...works every time...if you're really needing comfort than use a sports rub...i prefer A535...i just tried the A535 Cold and man it works good.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member

Lactic acid does not "cause" muscle soreness and does not have to be "flushed out". Current research indicates that lactic acid may not even be involved in muscle fatigue at all.

Thanks for the correction in updated info on lactic acid, I will look it up. :flowerforyou:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

Lactic acid does not "cause" muscle soreness and does not have to be "flushed out". Current research indicates that lactic acid may not even be involved in muscle fatigue at all.

Thanks for the correction in updated info on lactic acid, I will look it up. :flowerforyou:

It's one of the bigger paradigm shifts that I have seen in fitness research in the 25 years or so since I finished grad school. If you enjoy bioenergetics, it's really interesting stuff--even though the methodology descriptions (radioactive isotope tracer studies) make my head spin.........:yawn:
This discussion has been closed.