Is it possible to lose a pound a day?

Options
For a limited time, obviously :)

I was just wondering, if I ate my daily calorie allowance, and built in four hours exercise/activity each day, on top of the usual shopping, cooking, cleaning, running around activity, would you lose more?

Or would you just be ravenous? ;)

Replies

• CharlieIsHealthy
    Options
    Is it possible? Sure.
    Is it sustainable and healthy? I don't believe so.

Once you add in more calories or reduce your exercise time (4 hours per day is A LOT) I believe you would quickly regain whatever weight you lost during this phase. I believe the moderate approach is best suited for long term success. You did not arrive at your current weight overnight so try not to worry too much about losing it overnight as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    To burn off a pound of fat, you'd need to be in a calorie deficit plan of -3500 and all of it would have to be used from fat. Unfortunately, that's not how the body works. Some of the energy will be from carbs and protein too.

Now can one lose a pound a day? Sure. A pound of what though? Fast weight loss will usually result in lean tissue loss and would also result in having a lower metabolic rate. Which means when you maintenance, you may have to eat quite low just to maintain weight.

But if you're not obese, there's really no reason to try this approach since the failure rate for many (especially when it comes to weight regain) is at about 95%. Don't trust that you'll be that 5% that succeeds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no Just NO!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For a limited time, obviously :)

I was just wondering, if I ate my daily calorie allowance, and built in four hours exercise/activity each day, on top of the usual shopping, cooking, cleaning, running around activity, would you lose more?

Or would you just be ravenous? ;)

SO you are going to eat your maintenance Energy requirement and then do a pounds worth of exercise....... (at least 3500 cals) . Every DAY.

Ain't going to happen.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You didn't GAIN a pound a day, so why try to lose it that way? I am looking for long term sustainability here.
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but it's not at all sustainable.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Sure. Let us know how that goes.

Or, you could read the numerous posts on this subject and take the advice of people who have set reasonable goals, attained them, and kept the weight off over time.

Your choice.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    Sure. Let us know how that goes.

Or, you could read the numerous posts on this subject and take the advice of people who have set reasonable goals, attained them, and kept the weight off over time.

Your choice.
    But why................
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Is it possible and is it intelligent are two different questions and the latter one is more important.
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you want to feel like shirt and look like a California raisin. Knock it off. You didn't get fat over a short period of time. It likely took months or years. Plan on at least a year or more to get back to your goal weight. If you're not committed to that then you might as well not even waste your time. (Unless you're only a few lbs over your goal)

There are no shortcuts for hard work and consistency that don't involve negative consequences. Don't mess around. Don't make excuses and stay committed. It's simple and complex all in the same breath.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    9Apegr8.gif
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I just checked your profile and you are only a couple of years older than me. From your question, it would seem that you are stuck in the dieting mindset of the 60s and 70s. I know this all too well.

Here is my suggestion to you. Start listening to the young, smart people on here and educate yourself on the science behind weight loss and health. I, like you, was always looking for quick fixes. 2.5 years ago, I finally got serious and started doing this the right way for the last time.

Like me, you are getting to the place where you need to take this dead seriously and get busy doing things right. Read the following links. Educate yourself before your health becomes the impetus - forcing you to do what you can't seem to do now.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I just checked your profile and you are only a couple of years older than me. From your question, it would seem that you are stuck in the dieting mindset of the 60s and 70s. I know this all too well.

Here is my suggestion to you. Start listening to the young, smart people on here and educate yourself on the science behind weight loss and health. I, like you, was always looking for quick fixes. 2.5 years ago, I finally got serious and started doing this the right way for the last time.

Like me, you are getting to the place where you need to take this dead seriously and get busy doing things right. Read the following links. Educate yourself before your health becomes the impetus - forcing you to do what you can't seem to do now.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:

Listen to her. Shes a vvery wise lady.

Also 4 hours of exercise a day?
    Eff that noise.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

So, 4 hours a day to burn one pound at 3500 cals per pound (approx) = nearly 4 hours at 875 cals/hrs or exercise EVERY DAY ... Not gonna happen...... NEXT PLAN
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same last time I saw "Obese. One year to save my live"
    Unfortunately they never show anything about the food they eat, but I presume it is carb cycle.
    They do 4-6 h of workout every day
    I don't have time for this.
    Secondly, this is just something you can't keep doing for the rest of your life. And as a logical result, you will gain very quickly.
    Of course it sounds just perfect, doesn't it?
    This would mean, in four month my weight problem is fixed and I would have the weight I have in mind. I understand everyone perfectly who want a quick fix. It is so much harder to loose than to gain, isn't it?
    I just think, you need to change your lifestyle. And carb cycling and 6h of workout are not possible on the long run, especially for people having to work.
    As per previous comments: you didn't gain over night, you shouldn't lose over night.
  • aurorareigns
    Options

So, 4 hours a day to burn one pound at 3500 cals per pound (approx) = nearly 4 hours at 875 cals/hrs or exercise EVERY DAY ... Not gonna happen...... NEXT PLAN

Also like how does one make the time to exercise for four hours a day? Don't sleep? Don't go to work?
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    It's possible but not recommended. You may quick results of weight loss but you will also be more likely to gain it back just as quick and then some. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

Also like how does one make the time to exercise for four hours a day? Don't sleep? Don't go to work?

In cloud Cuckoo-land .... Anything is possible :-p
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I totally believe you can even do better then that.... but it all depends on what body parts you don't mind cutting off...... the average arm is 5% of your body weight... and the average leg is 40% of our body weight...
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I am sure that your intentions are good, but keep it slow and steady.

Two pounds per week should be the max, ideally.