sugar vs brown sugar

Options
Is one better than the other? I know sugar isn't good for you in general but I make oatmeal every so often with some cinnamon and sugar. So does anyone know if one is better than the other? THANKS!!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Neither is better than the other. In fact, even honey and agave syrup aren't much better than regular sugar. Any for of sugar is just fine in moderation.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't which is better, but I use Sugar in the Raw for everything.....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by better. Brown sugar is less refined than white, it that is what you mean.
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    I like a little maple syrup with mine, brown sugar is a close second, and raw honey if I can find it. As for which is better; which ever one you enjoy most. Just enjoy it in moderation.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The only difference between brown sugar and sugar is that brown sugar has molasses in it. They are both refined. They are both sucrose (disaccharide that contains both fructose and glucose) and they have no nutritional value.....but they taste great! As stated above, they are fine in moderation so enjoy a little bit of either in your oatmeal.

The benefits of honey and agave syrup (as well as pure maple syrup) is that they contain antioxidants so they DO have a little bit of nutritional value to them. :)
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm i get the BEST raw honey in VA. A guy sells it in the market place in down town Roanoke...with honey comb in it!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    The benefits of honey and agave syrup (as well as pure maple syrup) is that they contain antioxidants so they DO have a little bit of nutritional value to them. :)

and the Agave Syrup raises your blood sugar slower than refined sugar so it is better for diabetics.

As far as I'm concerned they are all bad. But I still use them all sometimes.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    the only sweeteners I use are coconut crystals and raw honey. do some research, most sweeteners aren't great for you and ALL should be used as little as possible.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Okay, so what type of sugar is "better?" I'm thinking of cutting out sugar substitute, but I'm also concerned that by doing so that I will pile on the pounds.

Shannon
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Okay, so what type of sugar is "better?" I'm thinking of cutting out sugar substitute, but I'm also concerned that by doing so that I will pile on the pounds.

Shannon

No sugar is better than any other.