Loose the fat first - or start lifting immediately

Options
2»

Replies

• CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options
    @ FJS - Giving up the cardio is going to be really difficult for me...... I just don't feel like I've worked out unless I am breathless.
    Heavy compound lifts raise your heart rate as well - squats tend to leave me quite breathless for example ;)
    I AM inspired by your motivation to get weight lifting How does one get into this weight/lifting. I am a female in my early fifties currently weighing 14st 4lb at 5ft tall, Physique I look as if I weigh 16 to 17 stones and wear size 20. Can weight lifting really help, can I at my age start this and where would I start, what do I need to do. SOS !!!!
    Choose a beginner's programme (AllPro, Strong Curves, StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women). Watch youtube videos on good form. Begin. Make sure you have good form (by asking a trainer to check, by filming yourself etc.). The programmes all use barbells but you can do the exercises with dumbbells to start with as well; I'm still not strong enough to even lift the empty bar (20 kg/45 lbs) for upper body exercises for example.

Great advice. I don't even know where to start with regard choosing a weight. I thought I would start with bodyweight fist (on the exercises I can just use bodyweight) and see from there. I'm dying for tomorrow to be over so I can report back!
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Lift immediately and eat at a small caloric deficit (200 - 300 kcal under TDEE) - you won't put on a whole lot of new muscle, but you'll keep the muscle you have while removing body fat. Think of it as setting the foundation for the temple. A strong base will make lifting at a lighter body weight much easier and more efficient.
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    Lift immediately and eat at a small caloric deficit (200 - 300 kcal under TDEE) - you won't put on a whole lot of new muscle, but you'll keep the muscle you have while removing body fat. Think of it as setting the foundation for the temple. A strong base will make lifting at a lighter body weight much easier and more efficient.

Great advice. I've re-set my calorie intake to around 300 cals under TDEE. I've upped my protein ratio too. It's not quite at 1gm/lb of body weight, otherwise I would only be on about 5-10% carbs and that would not be sustainable.

So in short, I've re-set my macros at 30% Carbs 40% Protein and 30% Fat.

I'll try this out for 4-weeks and see how I feel and how I do. I'm sure I will have to re-adjust as I go along, but we have to start somewhere right!

Thanks for your comment.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Great advice. I've re-set my calorie intake to around 300 cals under TDEE. I've upped my protein ratio too. It's not quite at 1gm/lb of body weight, otherwise I would only be on about 5-10% carbs and that would not be sustainable.

I'll try this out for 4-weeks and see how I feel and how I do. I'm sure I will have to re-adjust as I go along, but we have to start somewhere right!

Thanks for your comment.

Protein should be 1gm/lb of LEAN body weight - not actual body weigh - so say you are at 30% body fat you would use 70% of your weight for your protein goal.
  • CarynMacD
    Options

Thanks for your comment.

Protein should be 1gm/lb of LEAN body weight - not actual body weigh - so say you are at 30% body fat you would use 70% of your weight for your protein goal.

Oh! Silly me. - Thanks for that. I'll re-calculate.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    As above . . . start lifting/gym with a calorie deficit and you SHALL lose weight. My coach has had me "Cardio Free" for a month now and so far I have dropped about 1 pound a week. 6 days deficit, one day eating on maintenance.

Not sure about how I look . . . clothed or naked, but the weight is dropping and so are the inches!

Good Luck!

FJS

Yes! My trainer knows I only do one long cardio session a week and she approves (she hates cardio). Usually I strength train and do anywhere from 10-30 minutes of cardio after. I lost about 15 pounds in about 2 months this way. Also, I've seen people on here who weigh the same as me now, who don't go for the heavy weights, and there is definitely a difference in how 148 looks.
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    @ smarieallen85 - Thanks. I just a quick peak at your pics - you look great at 148! I reached 146 last year and did not look anywhere as healthy as you! Yay to lifting!
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    @ smarieallen85 - Thanks. I just a quick peak at your pics - you look great at 148! I reached 146 last year and did not look anywhere as healthy as you! Yay to lifting!

Thanks! Good luck to you!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    This is just the sort of thing I was hoping to hear. Well done!

The program you are on now is exactly what I am hoping to do: 3 days of lifting with 3 days of eliptical inbetween. However I go sailing every second weekend so that will replace the long walks on the weekends. I am so excited to hear fabulous news like this from other members. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

ETA: You look awsome by the way!

Thanks! Best of luck to you!
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've found for me at 5'3 and with 20 pounds to lose, I dropped my calories to 1600 a day, hit my 30 percent protein macro every day, and lift as heavy as I can. I started doing Chalene Extreme (home DVD) a year ago and it has changed me. You need lots of different size dumbbells and will get strong fast! I just hired a personal trainer to help me get the last 10 off and tone up. My body is really different from lifting and I love it! It's like what the others said, I will not need to get to the low weight to look awesome because I already look awesome and have set my goal for 10 pounds. Good luck to you!!
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    I've found for me at 5'3 and with 20 pounds to lose, I dropped my calories to 1600 a day, hit my 30 percent protein macro every day, and lift as heavy as I can. I started doing Chalene Extreme (home DVD) a year ago and it has changed me. You need lots of different size dumbbells and will get strong fast! I just hired a personal trainer to help me get the last 10 off and tone up. My body is really different from lifting and I love it! It's like what the others said, I will not need to get to the low weight to look awesome because I already look awesome and have set my goal for 10 pounds. Good luck to you!!

Yay Lisa!

Thanks for the encouragement. I just know that it is going to work out fine. I have lots of dumbbells and barbells at home, a bench, a mat, swiss balls, skipping rope and thankfully I am also a member at a gym. There are NO excuses.

As mentioned earlier, I'm going to do NROLFW and will take a progress picture after each stage. End of Stage 1 is only 6 weeks away. Yikes!
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    @ FJS - Giving up the cardio is going to be really difficult for me...... I just don't feel like I've worked out unless I am breathless.
    Heavy compound lifts raise your heart rate as well - squats tend to leave me quite breathless for example ;)
    I AM inspired by your motivation to get weight lifting How does one get into this weight/lifting. I am a female in my early fifties currently weighing 14st 4lb at 5ft tall, Physique I look as if I weigh 16 to 17 stones and wear size 20. Can weight lifting really help, can I at my age start this and where would I start, what do I need to do. SOS !!!!
    Choose a beginner's programme (AllPro, Strong Curves, StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women). Watch youtube videos on good form. Begin. Make sure you have good form (by asking a trainer to check, by filming yourself etc.). The programmes all use barbells but you can do the exercises with dumbbells to start with as well; I'm still not strong enough to even lift the empty bar (20 kg/45 lbs) for upper body exercises for example.

Great advice. I don't even know where to start with regard choosing a weight. I thought I would start with bodyweight fist (on the exercises I can just use bodyweight) and see from there. I'm dying for tomorrow to be over so I can report back!

I started with AllPro and he recommends using your 10RM (10 rep max, i.e. the weight you are able to do 10 repetitions with), which I think would be a good starting point for all the programmes I know. You can get your approximate 10RM by doing an exercise with a weight you think could be good for roughly 10 reps but you perform the exercise to failure, i.e. you stop when you cannot do even one more repetition (with good form). I found that most times it's good to really push yourself since I at least would have thought I can't do one more rep when I still could in fact do even two or three more (but that may be just me). Enter the weight and the repetitions you could do in a calculator (e.g. http://www.naturalphysiques.com/18/one-rep-max-calculator) that gives you your approximate 10RM.

Edited to add that, while I've read NROLFW, I can't really remember the routines so not sure if that approach is suitable for it. Don't they make suggestions on what weight to start with? What are the rep and set ranges they use?