Setting Goals....HELP

reese1206
reese1206 Posts: 229
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I currently weigh 180lbs. My overall goal weight is 130lbs. If I set a goal of 10lbs a month is that possibly or is it setting it to high? My Husband will be back at the Very end of June or Mid July....I would like to reach my goal by then....Is it possible??

Replies

• How tall are you?
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    It's definitely possible. The healthiest way to lose is 1 lb/week. MFP will only set you up to lose 2 lbs/week. But you can set your goals to custom in order to lose more. It is not recommended that you eat less than 1200 NET calories per day in order to keep your meabolism functioning at its optimum and prevent it from slowing.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    ten lbs a month is a little over 2 lbs a week. That seems a healthy pace. What I've found is that every week I don't lose the 2 lbs. but I also am in and out of my routine.

I would think with the motivation and proper diet and exercise that 10 lbs a month would work just fine..

Good luck
  • I think everyone is different on how they lose weight. I am focusing on 1.5 lbs a week.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    2 pounds per week is reaching the upper threshold for healthy weight loss. 10 isn't out of the question, but 8 is probably your best bet.
  • Either 5'6" or 5'7"....it seems to be different every time I go to the Dr
    How tall are you?
  • im here since oct. 31. ive lost 13 pounds (was 180 aswell) thats about what your goal is (maybe a little less) so you can do it. im doing 1400 calories a day. good luck!
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    two pounds a week is more realisitc I think...so maybe 8 pounds a month
  • Diannerv
    Diannerv Posts: 195
    I currently weigh 180lbs. My overall goal weight is 130lbs. If I set a goal of 10lbs a month is that possibly or is it setting it to high? My Husband will be back at the Very end of June or Mid July....I would like to reach my goal by then....Is it possible??

I agree thats on the high end of the weightloss scale and I am certainly not an expert and not saying what I did was right or wrong but......My thoughts, you will have to be diligent and work you a@$ off. I was in you exact position. Last May I was running my second marathon and ripped my achilles tendon. When I saw the surgeon he put me in an aircast for 3 months and no more running, walking, no more cycling or lower body weight training. At the first of June I weighed in at 182, I am 5'4". I think I might have had a panic attach. You CAN do it but you have to be focused, I went drastic. I ate 1200 calories a day and cut ALL sugar and artificial sweetners from my diet. Not even a sniff of sugar. I didnt have a bad day, I just stayed focused. I didnt whine or complain, I just did it. The only excersize I could do was swim, I swam for 2 hours everyday. I weighed in on Nov. 30th at 137. 7 lbs from my goal. It is possible but it is not easy, the first 30 lbs was alot easier and that last 15 has had definately slowed down. Dont get discouraged, have your food planned out so there is absolutely no room for mistakes or for you to cheat. I always know 2 days in advance what I was going to be eating. I actually ate chicken salads every day, I mean everyday cause it was easy for me. I grilled up 10 chicken breasts at a time so they were cooked and ready to go. Have lots of veggies around to chew on. But most important, when you are about to put something in your mouth that you shouldnt think about why youre doing this. :) Good luck!!!
  • So 10 lbs about every 5 wks? Are my goals Below better??
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    So 10 lbs about every 5 wks? Are my goals Below better??

just keep in mind that any loss, even a couple of ounces, will get you there! i think your goals look just fine. just don't get so caught up in them that you ignore a success of losing 1 pound or half a pound. that mindset can really frustrate you and get you off the bandwagon. there are so many factors that go into weight loss...every week will be different. i typically lose for 3 weeks, and then maintain or gain on the 4th. i'm not really sure why, but it's how i operate for whatever reason. this got me behind on my first goal, but i couldn't let it derail me, because even though i didn't hit my goal quite when i wanted to, i had still worked too damn hard to give up! so just remember that your goals are just that - goals, not requirements! you'll do great! best of luck!
  • looks good to me
  • So 10 lbs about every 5 wks? Are my goals Below better??

just keep in mind that any loss, even a couple of ounces, will get you there! i think your goals look just fine. just don't get so caught up in them that you ignore a success of losing 1 pound or half a pound. that mindset can really frustrate you and get you off the bandwagon. there are so many factors that go into weight loss...every week will be different. i typically lose for 3 weeks, and then maintain or gain on the 4th. i'm not really sure why, but it's how i operate for whatever reason. this got me behind on my first goal, but i couldn't let it derail me, because even though i didn't hit my goal quite when i wanted to, i had still worked too damn hard to give up! so just remember that your goals are just that - goals, not requirements! you'll do great! best of luck!

have you cross-checked that with your period? i maintain the week before my period (water) and lose the first week of my cycle like crazy (water again)
  • SarahDeeGee
    SarahDeeGee Posts: 12 Member
    Hey girl, I am 5'6"/5'7" and I have a long distance guy too. :) I am trying to lose seven pounds before I see him in January, so I had to do some figuring on my own because it is only a month away, and it is only recommended you lose 2 lbs per week at most.

Here is how I figured out what I needed to do:
    Based on a sedentary (at a desk for most of the day working) lifestyle, at my height and weight, an online calculator figured I burn about 1600 calories per day.
    - myfitnesspal has me set up on a "2-lb-per-week" diet, which restricts me to 1200 calories. (A deficit of 400)
    -There are two drawbacks to this: 1) When I eat 1200 calories, I don't lose weight. I maintain it, because my body thinks I'm starving. I need at least 50-75 calories more than that (1250-1275)...so if I consume that amount, I'm really only at a deficit of 350-325 calories.
    - In order to lose 7 lbs by Jan 7th, I determined I'd need a 790-cal deficit per day (yikes!). but not impossible. 790, minus the 350 deficit I already have with diet, leaves a 440 cal deficit I needed to create. This can be MORE than taken care of in 45 min to an hour on ellipticals, or 30 min on ellipticals and 30 min strength training. But it does require me to work out every day.

However, I lost 4 lbs in one week. So it has been tried and true, at least with me.

So...

1) Go here ---> http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm and find out how many you "need" per day.
    2) Subtract 500 from that number (as long as the total does not fall below 1200)
    3) Then... (number of lbs you want to lose) x 3500 = (A)
    4) Then...(number of days you have to lose the weight) divided by (A) = (B)
    5) Then...500 + B = C
    6) C is the calorie deficit you need to create each day with diet and exercise.
    7) As long as you stick to the diet you need to follow (C-500 cal), you need to find a way to burn "B" number of calories.

If this makes sense or not, let me know and I'll just calculate it for you. :)
This discussion has been closed.