What diet do you recommend that isn't so expensive

Options

Replies

• LoriGW46
    LoriGW46 Posts: 11
    Options
    I've tried them all. Weight Watchers, South Beach, Atkins, "The Metabolism Miracle". I even went on a liquid diet about 15 years ago, lost a lot of weight and then promptly gained it all back quickly.

The only thing that has worked for me is the old-fashioned way. Counting calories and lots of exercise. I limit myself to 1200 calories a day. Most days I eat very healthy and wisely to maximize the amount of food I can eat. I eat from all food groups. Some days I just need some ice cream, so I have it. But then I have to make sure I save enough calories for it. I walk/run every day. It makes a huge difference. I'm 49 so I need to move in order to lose..I can't lose much weight without exercising.

This site helps tremendously. Tracking your food is vital for making sure you don't overeat.

Good luck :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale.
    Weigh and measure everything you consume
    Log these foods accurately on mfp.
    Eat at a deficit, eat the foods you love, but in moderation.
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Cheyenelikewyoming Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Here are 10 cheap foods that are healthy
    1. dry beans (fiber)
    2. cans of tuna (lots of protein)
    3. whatever fruit is in season (usually apples and bananas are cheap)
    4. chicken
    5. frozen tilapia
    6. brown rice
    7. low sodium canned soup (or make your own)
    8. the incredible edible egg!
    9. cabbage
    10. canned vegetables (no salt added) or frozen

I am a poor teacher and I make this work. You have to look for bargains. In fact, eating healthy is a lot cheaper than eating at fast food places. Good Luck!:drinker:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You'd be better off spending your money on a gym membership. Things like the Cambridge diet are expensive!

As everyone else has said...just eat normally, but at a deficit. And exercise. Done. And you're more likely to keep the weight off.
  • Kayhealthfoodie
    Options
    The low-carb "diet" (it really should be more of a lifestyle change) is very inexpensive. If you stop buying potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, oatmeal, etc., you will save money that you can spend on the good stuff. Eggs are pretty cheap, as are many vegetables, canned tuna and some cuts of other meats. Depending where you live, cheese can be found for a reasonable price too. You don't necessarily have to use all the sugar subs or buy low-carb tortillas, in which case low-carb could be expensive. Just keep it simple with real, whole foods (just NOT whole grains!). :)
    I know some people say just to eat less food, but calories-in-calories-out just doesn't cut it for most people who need to lose weight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    On Cambridge I was allowed nothing but there shakes and soups was hard going but done the job.

If it had "done the job" you wouldn't be here.

IMO you need a fundamental rethink of what you're doing.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    measuring cups, food scale and a good pair of walking shoes
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    IIFYM diet. There's no special foods, in fact you can eat anything you want including the McDonald's dollar menu. The only trick is to make sure you still meet your calorie goal for the day while reaching your minimum protein and fat goals. I personally don't mind if I go over my fat and protein goals, I just take it out of carbs for the day.

Costco, Walmart, Alde's, plenty of cheap places to buy groceries too.
  • Jacquiht
    Jacquiht Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How about trying either 5:2 or alternative day diet - that way you eat what YOU want not what is written down! I find it great and am having good losses each week.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, rice, dry beans, potatoes.
    Apples, bananas, oranges, carrots, broccoli.
    Eggs.
    You don't need fancy supplements.

Buy things when they are on sale or in season.
    Freeze extras.

Don't eat at restaurants more than one meal per week.
    Cook at home and make small portions.
    Never let food go to waste.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The "eat less and move more" diet. You simply eat less of the things you would normally eat and move (exercise) more.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I totally Do. Its the reduce amount of calories, work out, and most importantly portion control. You get to enjoy things, improve your over all mood and health, and to top it off its only as expensive as the gym/ work out equipment you buy on top of your normal food cost. You wont Lose the weight fast but you will keep it off longer.
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Another fan of this diet. It can even include Dairy Queen Blizzards! :love:

I'm another fan of the portion control diet. I'm on a journey to loose around 100 lbs and have currently lost about 30 of it.
    I even had a Dairy Queen Blizzard yesterday like the above poster.

I've tried other diets such as Sugar Busters, Atkins, etc. and found that they are hard to maintain as well as expensive and hard to shop for. I'm now in it for the lifestyle change and it is working better than ever before.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Stop throwing money at the latest fad diet. Problem solved.
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I follow a "mostly" Paleo style diet... Meat, Veggies & Fruits from the local farmers market.. don't get much cheaper than that! Good Luck with everything!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    and that's exactly why you gained the weight back. you need to learn how to eat real food, in moderation, because DIETS ARE NOT A LONG TERM SOLUTION. DIETS ARE TEMPORARY.
  • lijepa1979
    lijepa1979 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Portion control and a bit of movement. Even if you don't have a gym membership, you can go walking, get some handweights, or do an exercise video. When you use the word "diet" like that, you are assuming it is a temporary fix. You need to make a lifestyle change, as in something you can live with for the rest of your life.
  • deborahgillion55
    deborahgillion55 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :-)
    I would like to share my thoughts about this program which I'm very happy to be a part of. Many people like me are in the same predicament of obesity to one extent or another. We have the opportunity to encourage and help one another along the way. We can discuss other concerns important to us also. It makes so much sense and we have been blessed with this program. Haven't you heard that the best things in life are free?

If anyone is interested, these are the rules I go by now that I've started MFP :
    *I shop smart @ the grocery store to have a variety of healthy food choices.
    *Be honest to yourself and stay @ or just under your myfitnesspal numbers each and every day. If you sway a little just jump right back on the myfitnesspal wagon.
    *Drink plenty of water to flush and cleanse your cellular system.
    *You are on your way to the you, you want to be and save money in the process.

I started MFP Aug 5,2014 and am happy with the weight I have lost. I feel much better and have a positive outlook ahead. Don't be too hard on yourself. Be patient, it takes time to loose the extra pounds because you didn't put them on in a day.
    Best of luck to all and myself. May you meet your goals with minimal difficulty and much success. We are here to help one another in difficult times.:smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eat the food you like in smaller quantities than you ate to gain weight. It doesn't have to be any more complex than that.

This!^

The great thing about measuring & logging real foods......you actually LEARN something. I've figured out what portions should be and about the caloric "price" of foods. Some foods have much steeper "price" than I thought....some aren't worth it anymore.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be nothing overly special, namely eat more real food (ie less processed food), cut out/ cut back the added sugar (including alcohol, at least during weight loss), and only eat starches, grains and bread in moderate amounts.

Try that for a while, weigh yourself at least once a week (first thing in morning, pre-food, post-bathroom), if losing, carry on, if not cut back more on the added sugar, starches, grains and bread until you are. Exercise and get at least a 30 min walk every day if you can. When you lose what you wish to lose, add back in the things you cut out, little by little, until you're holding your weight.

If you feel hungry AND your intake is reasonable, swap some of the carbs in your diet for fat/ protein, as these will fill you, and help you stick to the plan.

I know this is probably extremely simplistic, but it would be the advice I would have given to my past self, with the benefit of hindsight and what I know now :)