Perfect or worst time to quit smoking? (during weight loss)

Options

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Just checking in! Day2: I'm feeling a bit irate & crappy but still going strong with the e-cig :smokin:
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you quit you will probably be nervous energy and be able to run or do elliptical trainer more than ever. you can try to fixate on working out instead of eating food during the first few weeks of quiting. If youre like me you will feel super-powered when you first quit and be able to work out more than you ever did before.
  • farcry66
    farcry66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Something like 25% of quitters actually lose weight.

I highly recommend Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking book. It helped me immensely 10 years ago when I quit.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155

Good luck! You'll be so glad to have that monkey off your back. I couldn't even imagine the cost of a 2-pack a day habit.

This x1000000 I am just coming up to 2 years as a non-smoker. I smoked for 15 years anywhere between 20 - 40 a day depending on what I was doing. I have tried stopping before, used champix, patches, gum, cold turkey - nothing worked. Much to my total shame I didn't even stop completely when I was pregnant for the first time. A workmate went on about this book for a year. Long story short, I read it (twice) not touched a ciggie since, no cravings or anything. In fact nowadays if I have to walk past someone smoking I subconsciously hold my breath because it is so rank!
  • FleaBailey
    FleaBailey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    On January 1 I was hospitalized with a partially collapsed lung after 38 years of smoking two packs a day (or more). I was put in a bipap mask, and when I tried to take it off I was told it was that, or intubation. I had the mask on for 36 hours before it was first removed, and spent 10 days total in the hospital receiving breathing treatments and multiple blood tests as they tried to decide if I had congestive heart failure, pneumonia, or H1N1 flu. They eventually diagnosed me with COPD and a ridiculous virus that toddlers get called RVS or RSV or something like that. (I blame my husband's great-nephew, age 1, who was sniffling at Christmas.)

When I woke up the first time there was a nicotine patch on my arm, and I was too weak to walk, so the thought of slipping outside to smoke just didn't register. I just kept thinking, "The hospital is like an airplane. You can't smoke on an airplane." I never got upset.

On the way home from the hospital my husband drove me through Wendy's for a single and a small fry. Once we were done, he got out of the car to smoke a cigarette (he still smokes). I waited for the craving to hit--and it didn't. I thought, "I wonder if I can do this." I still was using the patch.

On the way home from the hospital I bought an e-cigarette and when the cravings got bad (usually in the evening with coffee) I would promise myself that if I still felt like I "had" to smoke in 30 minutes, I would smoke it. I never did. I continued to use the patch, all the way to the last (4th week), when I quit using it early because of the skin irritation.

I carried a pack (the one that had gone to the hospital with me) in my purse for 6 months, as a talisman. There is still an unopened carton in my cabinet, from last December. I look at it every day.

Most of the craving, I swear, is psychological. You want the process--the lighting up, the inhaling, etc. So an e-cigarette would provide that. However, for me it would have been a substitute, NOT an aid to quitting. If you can quit without it, I think it's better. Also, until the FDA begins to regulate them, you may not know what is in them.

I had to tote an oxygen tank around for about a month afterwards. I was only 57 years old. Trust me, when you're 57 you don't feel like you're old.

You'd better believe that scared the crap out of me. But I don't and won't think of myself as having quit successfully until January 1, 2015.

It was about 2 months later that I decided to take the money I was saving and hire a personal trainer and start going to the gym with my sister. Then she told me about MFP and I thought I'd try to keep track of my calories.

And 66 pounds later, here I am.

It can be done.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Awesome post @FleaBailey!

Sounds like you kicked the butts in the butt! Very motivational & inspiring story.

I agree on the e-cigs being unregulated & so forth. But for me previously trying with patches, Chantix, gum & cold turkey - These seem a good fit for me so far (fingers crossed!). I've told myself I'll kick the nic completely by Xmas & be off the e-cig by then too.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    The harm smoking does is WAAAAY worse than gaining 10-20lbs from over eating.

If the forum thing works for you, there is an incredibly informative and supportive forum on about.com. Just google "about.com smoking cessation forum". They also have counters, money saved counters, and the forum is very busy, so any issues you are having you will get immediate support.

I used the forum back when I first started to quit smoking, it was really helpful.

PS - There is no such thing as a good time to quit. You just have to do it, dont make excuses.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr's book came in the mail yesterday!!! :smile: Can't wait to read it! Started already! Quit isn't going so well. I need to avoid the bars for awhile I think...which is hard because my roommate is a bartender. But I had a great active weekend for once (my "weekends" are Weds and Thurs). Went to the beach, zoo and a wildlife refuge with my family. TONS of walking! I can't remember the last time I had such an active weekend (sad right?) But I had a great time and I realized I need to do this more instead of sitting on the couch smoking! I have stopped smoking in my apartment though.

Ugh...baby steps....hopefully this book helps. I've read great reviews.

Thanks Mrslynah! I'll add you :smile:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The best time to quit smoking is RIGHT NOW.

You'll lose: bad breath, yellow teeth, stinking clothes, damaged lungs, and gain a whole new lease on life.

I lost my beloved father in his 63rd year due to this dusgusting habit. He never got to travel, to enjoy retirement, or to see the farm, which he would have loved. He was a three-pack-a-day smoker. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer he came home, threw his cigarettes in the trash, and never touched another one. He lived four more years, years of chemotherapy, surgery, morphine, and unrelenting pain.
  • I quit just under 3 years ago after smoking for 28 years - went from 2 packs a day to none completely cold turkey - BEST thing I ever did, but I gave the ciggies up before I even thought about losing weight as I knew pressuring myself into doing both would be too much at one time. I heard so many people say I would put on weight and eat more when I quit, but for me that wasn't true so I would say do it today. If you're already on course with the weight loss then you won't be adding any extra pressure to yourself and you really will feel so much better for it. Good luck.
  • jbse26
    jbse26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i stopped smoking heavily while still losing weight three years ago. I put the weight back on, but not due to not smoking. I smoked 40 a day and was 49 when i stopped. After 7 attempts , i stopped altogether with Champix, and i suffer from depression anyway- it did not make it worse. In the UK it is free. You still need a lot of will-will power and i too recommend Alan Carr as i used it as back up. If you want to use Champix and your doctor says it's fine, go for it. Everything has side effects for some people- even water! it is a question of probability. Unfortunately the web is full of people with exaggerated scare stories about everything.They like drama.....

Even as a long term heavy smoker, my lung capacity has increased by 30%, as measured a tt he doctors and yes working out is so much easier after the first 12 weeks of stopping.

E cigs weren't really common back then but they would still deliver nicotine without the crap in cigarettes fro you .
    I don't know if it is a good idea "to stop right now" as some posters have said, the evidence is clear that people who plan carefully their giving up are much more successful. Load up on one hundred calorie snacks, make friends with celery, short walks for when you get a craving and save your money for something that will add to your health. All the best!:drinker:
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 5.5 years ago. It wasn't easy, but I found other things to replace the nicotine cravings. I also kept a straw, that I cut to the length of a cigarette, in my reach. That way I could still satisfy the hand/mouth habit without actually smoking. It helped a lot. I quit smoking in March and in April I started eating healthy and working out daily. It was the best decision I've made. Good luck!
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The best time to stop smoking was yesterday. The next best time is today. Stay strong!
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 9 years ago, and I had a 2 pack a day habit as well. I gained a lot of weight, but I wasn't actively trying NOT to gain. I think people use the possible weight gain as an excuse not to do it sometimes, but the truth is not smoking is not what causing the gain, it's your habits. CICO applies after quitting smoking as well. If you are at a place where logging is like second nature for you, and you're conscious of what you put in your mouth and actively combat overeating, I say go for it. Even if not and even if you gained a few pounds, the immediate health benefits of quitting smoking would be worth it. Good luck!
  • Eidson50
    Eidson50 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used Chantix and stopped smoking January 25th of this year. I didn't take the medicine for the entire time recommended because I just needed something to help me through the beginning. I started trying to lose weight in April (down 20 pounds), everyone told me not to try to do both at the same time. It has actually worked for me and I love being able to breathe when I exercise. There are many nay sayers out there regarding Chantix, it was a miracle drug for both me and my husband. It does have some side effects but nothing compared to the side effects of continuing to smoke! Good luck.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    There’s no time like the present to quit!

Make a list of all the pros and cons of smoking and put that list and copies of it everywhere and every time you think about a smoke read that list. If that doesn’t make you want to stop then God help ya.

Good luck!
  • hmroebuck
    hmroebuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any responses posted, but wanted to say for ME it would have been impossible to focus on both at the same time. I gained about 15lbs when I quit. One of my mottos during that time was "whatever it takes". A year after I quit we made a stressful cross country move, so not smoking was still a fight. Once that was over I easily lost the weight I had gained. By then I knew if I could quit smoking I could do anything!
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The best time to quit smoking is RIGHT NOW.

You'll lose: bad breath, yellow teeth, stinking clothes, damaged lungs, and gain a whole new lease on life.

I lost my beloved father in his 63rd year due to this dusgusting habit. He never got to travel, to enjoy retirement, or to see the farm, which he would have loved. He was a three-pack-a-day smoker. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer he came home, threw his cigarettes in the trash, and never touched another one. He lived four more years, years of chemotherapy, surgery, morphine, and unrelenting pain.

You forgot to say how much money they'll save also.

Most smokers aren't idiots; they know the downside to the habit. The judgmental aspect ("dusgusting" [sic]) can be left out of it. How about we stick to the positive?

Why don't we tell the fat people on here how nasty they look. That'll get them to stop overeating, right?

What gets me is that (at least in the U.S.) you're practically a pariah if you smoke, but drinking to excess is celebrated. Smoking is largely a self-destructive habit. There's no way you can compare second-hand smoke to drunk driving fatalities.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! It's wayyyy better than the "Quitting Smoking!" Group...which might as well be deactivated.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    There is never a wrong time to stop poisoning yourself several times a day.