Gobsmacked!

Options
I learned my lesson last night: Always check the calorie counts BEFORE you go out to eat!

My husband and I eat at Buffalo Wild Wings probably ten times a year. We went last night for the first time since I got serious about MFP and weight loss. I knew I'd be ingesting more calories than my usual supper, so I had a lighter breakfast and lunch and made sure I got my walking in. And I ate what I normally ate - a half basket of onion rings and ten traditional wings. I thought, "Eh, maybe 1100 calories at the most. The chicken can't be that bad. It's the onion rings that will have the most calories."

Yeah. I was certainly right about the onion rings! NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY CALORIES in a HALF basket of onion rings! O.o And the chicken....not so healthy, either. All told, my supper alone was over 2,000 calories. From now on, I have a plan before I go.

So, what food completely blew you away once you found out how many calories it really had in it?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly since I started MFP I haven't had a bad surprise like this, because I always check beforehand. But yes, I get surprises that way too. For laughs I'll look at a menu and see what seems healthy and then look up the calories... and sometimes it's 2000 calories for something that really didn't look that bad.

That's why I prefer sticking to chains that give nutrition info at this point and looking at those before I go.
  • Davidc1961
    Davidc1961 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.

The serving size on the jar is one tablespoon, and when I weigh the toast before and after what I used to consider a "serving", I realized that one dip of the knife in the jar can scoop 4-5 "servings"!

It's a good thing it keeps forever, because I think it will take a year to finish the jar of Jiff...
  • buttfacedprincess
    buttfacedprincess Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any nasty surprises like that, thankfully. I'm a very careful, meticulous, and numbers oriented person. I check and double check the labels and entries I use to log my food here on MFP. I did get curious about how many calories were in my favorite fast food meals, though. For instance, my favorite Subway sandwich was over 1,400 calories. And I would go on to eat MORE meals that day, too. No wonder I got so fat. lol
  • annadjanssen
    annadjanssen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband had the three cheese mac n cheese at Applebee's. I searched how many calories was in it beacause it is very good. It has 1200 calories in it! I guess I will not be enjoying that anytime soon. Unless I don't want to eat anything else that day!
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think you've gotten your calories wrong on this. When I searched for B-dubs onion rings, a full serving was under 500 cals. If you think about it though, the only bad thing is the breading, and it isn't THAT much. if you dip them in a mayo based sauce, that's another story...

My shocker was Stacy's pita chips with roasted red pepper hummus. I thought I was eathing heathily. Then I measured out a single serving... i must've been eating 3-4 times that amount... which is more than a normal meal size for me!
  • EvanandEarth
    Options
    990! Wow, scary.... :)

That could be right though.

I don't think this necessarily is only the breading/batter but the fact they are probably deep fried. Thats why they are awesome.

At least you accounted for it throughout the day, its important to have a treat to look forward to..., for me it was a big bowl of Spaghetti Carbonara which I was looking forward to all week but I made sure I did some calorie burning in the morning and then again later in the evening.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    I count eating out as a "treat" since I don't do it very often. A couple times a month at the most if I have any say in it. So I actually just order what I want and enjoy myself. Will be doing that on Tuesday when I go to Joe's Crab Shack with my cousin and her family. Not going to even think about the calories of all of that buttery goodness.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    That has happened to me before, but I would double check. That calorie count sounds awfully high.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten at a BBW but I just found this site by googling the name and nutrition...

http://www.nutrition-charts.com/buffalo-wild-wings-nutrition-information/

It says a large basket of onion rings in 1100 - so unless you used a rich sauce to dip them in you didn't do too bad there. :)
  • emeretta
    emeretta Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I used to go camping with my Scouts and add approximately what I ate when I got home from the weekend. ALWAYS a big surprise. Now that I'm the one making the shopping list (after the youth decide the food) I can input my meals ahead of time and know how much I should eat at each meal.

I can't change the fact that they like white bread, flavoured oatmeal, fake cheese, kraft dinner, potato chips, hamburgers, etc., but I can make myself a plan and stick to it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry but i dont get this...
    the onion rings are battered with butter, breadcrumbs and other stuff and then deep fried. the wings from supersized chickens that have been are battered with butter, breadcrumbs, deep fried and sauces are applied.

how is this a surprise that it's so high calorie?
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I recently had a scare like this from Outback Steakhouse. Country-fried chicken, mashed taters and corn. Jeeeezus christ, I was expecting bad and it was even worse than I thought it'd be (somewhere in the 2500 range if I remember right). It happens. Just be wise about it and don't be afraid to have a treat every now and then :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,724 Member
    Options
    I walked into a deli/sandwich shop at lunchtime, and ordered what I thought would be healthiest on offer: tuna melt on a ciabatta. Shocked that it was almost 900 kcal.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    One time I went out to Chili's and ordered shrimp on a skewer. Shrimp doesn't have many calories; how bad can it be, right? It was well over 1000 calories (O.O) What did they do to it?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I had a surprise in the opposite direction. I had a doughnut (local brand similar to a Krispy Kreme) that I was sure would be a ton of calories but it was only about 1/2 of what I expected.
  • TheFrugalFatass
    TheFrugalFatass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    the onion rings are battered with butter, breadcrumbs and other stuff and then deep fried. the wings from supersized chickens that have been are battered with butter, breadcrumbs, deep fried and sauces are applied.

I knew it would be high, but I was shocked that the onion rings were almost 1000 calories on their own.
  • TheFrugalFatass
    TheFrugalFatass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had a surprise in the opposite direction. I had a doughnut (local brand similar to a Krispy Kreme) that I was sure would be a ton of calories but it was only about 1/2 of what I expected.

Now THAT'S my kind of surprise! :happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I was surprised at how many calories are in a small basket of onion rings. I mean, I realize: breaded and fried, but it's such a small amount.

The one that blows me away, though, is the Miller's Ale House brownie sundae: 2,400 calories. And it blows me away because it's a normal-sized brownie with only a few walnuts, about a cup of vanilla ice cream and a small amount of hot fudge. And I already had a general idea of the calories in those individual items before I looked at the calorie count and I still cannot figure out how there are 2,400 calories in that thing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I knew it would be high, but I was shocked that the onion rings were almost 1000 calories on their own.
    If your wings are battered with bread crumbs, they are made wrong. Sauce that includes butter and fried in oil, yes. But there shouldn't be bread crumbs involved.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Beef 'O Brady's chicken and bacon wrap - 1100 calories - without the cheese! Add in fries and a soda, and I was over my allotment for the whole day.

Needless to say I exceeded my limit on that particular day. And learned to check the nutrition at restaurants before I go out to eat.