Recipes that produce good leftovers

Options
2stepscloser
2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
Our schedules are crazy and in order to work in gym time in the evening, I typically cook several meals on Sunday for us to eat during the week. I try to pick things that are tasty reheated and aren't tough or dry (chicken cordon blu, turkey peppers, chili, etc) but we are getting sick of eating the same stuff day in and day out.

Does anyone else cook ahead? If so, please share your favorite go to recipe.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,659 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym between work and dinner. I do a lot of cooking in large batches on the weekend to freeze in small portions. My go to list of homemade freezer meals is:

Braised chicken recipes (coq au vin, chicken cacciatore, chicken tagine, curry chicken)
    Beef stew (estouffade)
    Meat balls
    Pasta sauces (homemade pesto, homemade tomato sauce, puttanesca, roast pepper sauce, bolognese)
    Sauces to accompany pan fried fish, chicken a la plancha, or steak (salsa verde, raw salsa, chimichurri)
    Ma Po Tofu (some people claim tofu changes texture when frozen, if you are of that persuasion freeze without and add tofu while reheating)

A dinner with great leftovers is roast spatchcock chicken (when spatchcocked, a whole chicken roasts in 35-40 minutes). I make chicken salad the day after, and use the carcass for stock to use in pea or mushroom risotto.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Here is a go-to recipe that produces left overs for us. I do this in a wok but it can also be done in a large frying pan.

Cube your meat into bite sized pieces (chicken, pork, sirloin)
    Add 1 tbls olice oil to pan and heat
    Add meat and sautee until about 1/2 cooked
    Add 8 cups of chopped vegetables (peppers, mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, or whateve your favs are)
    Add 1 can of dices tomatos (or dice and add fresh tomatos)
    Add herbs (garlic powder, oregano, thyme, your favs)
    Simmer until vegetables are cooked through
    Add one bag/bunch of shreaded greens (spinage, swiss chard, etc.)
    Simmer until greens "melt" into the dish
    Serve over your favorite rice
    Can top with cheese if so desired.

This makes several meals for us but then there are just 2 eating. If I was doing for a family I would probably use two pans or a larger pot. I add hot sauces to mine when serving since the wife is not a fan of really hot food. Enjoy!