Kinesio Tape - WTF?

Options
JG762
JG762 Posts: 571 Member
Can someone please school me on this stuff?
I've done some net research about it and without any first hand knowledge or reviews from anyone who's used it, it appears to me to be some sort of voodoo.
Is there any scientific basis at all for it's use and is it anything more than a fad?
Discuss...

Replies

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've seen this stuff work for is Plantar Fasciitis.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I know people who tape their knees for running and other activities and swear by it. Some use knee support for heavy lifting, too. May as well support your joints if you're doing something risky. There's a whole industry that makes orthopedic support items for sports, fitness and health. Even the compression clothing is partly designed for support of joints and muscles.

I actually want to try it so I picked up Ace bandages yesterday to wrap my knees for a treadmill workout, to see if it helps. I'd rather not invest $15 in kinesio tape at first, or $30-60 in braces.
  • kingjabou
    kingjabou Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    From my experience on a doctors recommendation it helped with Meniscus tear allowed me to still walk and light running (but have seen people full out sprint with it on). It helps take the pressure off the affected area while healing.
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I use K-Tape due to a suggestion (read: demand) from my physical therapist. It helps to keep my knee cap from sliding out of place. I was using it all day long but I've developed a minor allergy to the adhesive so now I only use it when I'm going to be workout out or doing a lot of walking. It works really well for my knee. Some of the other things the company claims, I don't believe as well. Supposedly, if placed right, it will help with Shin Splints but that didn't work for me.

Just to let you know, the synthetic is supposedly water proof but it's not. The first time I wore it in the pool, within 20 minutes it was off. I did not have this problem with the professional stuff that my PT used but any that I can find in stores doesn't hold in water.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, many people--including many therapists--swear by the stuff. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of scientific support for its use. The most recent study I saw (within the last six months) did a pretty detailed analysis, and concluded that it had no measurable effect at relieving symptoms or speeding up recovery.

(Keep in mind, I am talking about the effects of the tape itself, separate from any effects that taping using regular athletic tape might have. If someone uses physio tape to help control a patella, for example, that same result can be achieved by using the traditional patellar tape used for that purpose).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Like any other elastic support, it just helps to provide a little more tension around joints. It's by no means a "healer" nor a remedy to fix and injury since the tape is still only on top of the skin and now directly supporting the joint.
    What's nice about it is that it lasts a pretty long time after application and is easy to remove.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Like any other elastic support, it just helps to provide a little more tension around joints. It's by no means a "healer" nor a remedy to fix and injury since the tape is still only on top of the skin and now directly supporting the joint.
    What's nice about it is that it lasts a pretty long time after application and is easy to remove.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This..... I have very bad knees and if I am not wearing by braces then I will tape my knees up for added support... I use it as part of my regimen and it works for me... Best of Luck....