Starting anyway...from my wheelchair

Options
2»

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Your local YMCA probably offers something called "chair yoga" or "adaptive yoga". This would be a yoga class for people with physical disabilities and a yoga teacher who knows how to adapt the poses around different people's individual limitations.

There also exist arm-powered stationary 'bicycles' that you could use to get some cardio-training into your work-out. Your Y may have these, or try a private gym or the hospital where you are being treated.

You can also lift weights for the upper body, and possibly core body too if you are using machines. Just no lower-body workouts.

See if your medical plan can give you physical therapy sessions now before your surgery to teach you specific core and upper body workouts that will not affect your injury. Core (stomach and back) workouts will be especially helpful to you for keeping your balance when you are starting to walk again, because many of the muscles worked in your core attach down in your thighs, which helps you stand. You are looking for exercises that will work muscle groups that do not have tendon-actions crossing the knees. Try to keep everything above the knees in shape and you will have an easier time when it comes to standing up again.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I 've seen wheelchair bound people in the weights section of my gym.
    There is evn aclimbing gym that has adaptations for wheelchair climbing.
    Also wheelchair basket ball is very popular.
    I ould recommnd, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yZltPOg7KMw. As a good intro work out, its 12 mins long but killer ( the f irst time i tried it i only managed 5 mins), just press pause when you need to.

You can google wheelchair /limited mobility groups in your area and see if they have something.

Many of us lost weight hen we reached a point we had limited mobility, it sucks, but i think its more likely to stay off as you need to be much more concious of what you eat long term.

Best of luck.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I do hope your hands heal well enough to use the walker if you really want to add exercise.

I am using a Zimmer frame because I have one leg in a cast, that needs to be kept strictly non weight bearing. I can vouch that using the walker with only one good leg is a strenuous cardio workout. Have recently gotten into the habit of taking a couple of 20 minute walks daily, hopping behind the frame. My resting heart rate is 64, but 10 minutes on the frame gets my heart rate to 140-150. According to my HRM I burn 177 kcal in 20 minutes.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your accident. It sounds quite painful! I hope your pain level is tolerable.

For the first seven months of my weight loss, I wasn't exercising at all. Seriously, AT ALL. The calorie deficit is what did it for me. That can work for you, too.

Don't wait! Start NOW with the good habits, food logging, etc., and add the rest as you are able. You'll be glad you didn't put it off.